“High end sps”

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by chopsie, Jan 25, 2018.

1. FraghouseCorals

FraghouseCorals Valuable Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

Same thing bro, Wild Mari it’s the same deal, that’s priced fair because chances are slim it makes it long term and chances are high it has pests and unwanted algae. It’s fair priced, your not getting a crazy deal.

ajcanale likes this.

2. chopsie

chopsie Valuable Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor

Mari and wild ,,, ain’t they all wild?
    Or does add a concrete plug mean Mari???

FraghouseCorals likes this.
  3. FraghouseCorals

And this right here is why prices DO get inflated lol

Krzydmnd likes this.
  4. jairus45

jairus45 Member

its priced fair because our aussie prices are fair. As far as unwanted algae and parasites go , i havent had a issue with either ever...

5. FraghouseCorals

Wholesalers in other countries watch our forums and FB like hawks... they see posts like the one above saying he’ll pay 300 and guess what, that SSC colony just went up from 50 to 100.... then what do us vendors have to do to now make a profit... this is just 1 angle of looking at how prices are affected by the hobbyists.

6. jairus45

jairus45 Member

Chances are slim it makes it long term????? Are you serious?

7. chopsie

chopsie Valuable Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor

Isn’t this where all Coral derive from, the only difference I see is the aquarium and care. Now I love my aquarium and do the best by all the animals in my care the wilds settle and grow and so do the mari
    Pests I remove and algaes, which is what most caring owners would do...so still I cannot see the elevated price sorry... would you mind explaining more please buddy

8. FraghouseCorals

Aussie indo Fiji, it’s all cheap bro, I bet your store you bought it from paid 10-20 bucks for it. You just found an outlet to buy colonies. With colonies the risk and QT is on you so they shouldn’t be that expensive.

ajcanale likes this.
  9. jairus45

jairus45 Member

Quarantine? I dont quarantine my corals, infact i dont even know a single reefer in Aus that QT their corals. There are times where my corals go into my tank literally hours after its been collected. I have never had the need to dip, infact i only dip if the coral comes out of another reefers tank or its a aqua cultured piece and to date ( maybe im lucky) i havent had a single issue with parasites. Yes i do agree with you that it is cheap , and 99% of the time will give any designer piece a run for its money.

squareriggersailor likes this.
  10. FraghouseCorals

You pay more for aquacultured Corals.... BUT only a handful of people actually aquaculture to sell. The chop shops just follow the market so you end up with a aquacultured price tag on a fresh out of the ocean piece. A lot of people LOVE buying colonies and I DO TOO lol BUT... if you don’t do it right you can end up with pest eggs deep down where you can’t see em and a year down the road you’ve lost ALL your Corals. You pay premium prices for pieces that have been in captivity long term and are pest and algae free and can show its REAL colors health and growth potential.

Norcalreef, BoomCorals and ajcanale like this.
  11. FraghouseCorals

Just a matter of time bro LOL pests will get into your system if you don’t QT.... that’s bad practice but if you live in Aussie then we shouldn’t even be talking about this. A lot different over there

BoomCorals likes this.
  12. dankreef

dankreef Well-Known Member

These threads are so redundant. People are comparing home wreckers to SSC and lemonades. 9/10 people have ssc and lemonades and give them away there is so many of them to go around. Go see how many people have home wreckers in their tank to give away. I just gave a colony of pink lemonade away. You bought one? Your stupid for paying that much money for that. Pretty much same as how you look at me for buying a home wrecker.

13. jairus45

jairus45 Member

What do you mean show its REAL colours? All these pieces were from my old tank before the tank cracked and lost them all, so im rebuilding again. Every piece was wild and the colours were amazing. The theory of so called designer being more colourful than their wild counterparts id highly debatable or maybe just varies depending on where you are situated. However there are a few aquaculture fascilities and their stock looks absolutely amaizing and their pics are taken under natural sunlight and they still pop with amazing colour. To me your coral needs to look good under your normal full spectrum lighting that you run in your tank and not like stuff that looks like it comes out of a avatar movie ( im not directing this at anyone , just an observation based on the auction and sales sites) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Todd Shoemaker, NY_Caveman and najer like this.
  14. Steve Berguetski

Steve Berguetski Member

We buy what pleases us. It is as simple as that. What pleases us individually varies wildly, so what each of us is willing to pay for a coral varies wildly also. To the person who paid $600 for a frag and is totally happy...that was a great purchase. To dankreef, that is awesome that you gave a pink lemonade colony away. That is a great way to further the hobby with new people who want to enjoy the beauty that this hobby brings us.
    I remember getting free frags of 'valuable coral' when I got into the hobby. I thought WOW! I could or would never afford this. Quite frankly, it kept me in the hobby and is the main reason I am upgrading my setup. We may argue the price of corals, but I know we are in this hobby for the same reasons. Just my two cents...

15. FraghouseCorals

Yes sir sps go through color shifts!!! Some come in rainbow and in a years time turn green, some come in green and turn rainbow. Some do stay the same colors but most will change and shift once in captivity. I never said captive pieces bling more than wild... in fact it’s the exact opposite in most cases and that’s how chop shops succeed. Move em in move em out before they color shift. I’m not knocking you man lol Iv imported hundreds of acro colonies from over seas... just sharing my knowledge

BantyRooster97 likes this.
  16. FraghouseCorals

On a side note majority of those corals you posted are common species and colors and very easy to keep colored. It’s the rainbow stuff that really shifts

BantyRooster97 and ajcanale like this.
  17. OrlandoReefer

OrlandoReefer Active Member

Shortcakes are the most commonly imported species from Australia

18. FraghouseCorals

LOL right LOL probably one of the only sps worth importing from that limited species area

BantyRooster97 likes this.
  19. FraghouseCorals

As a heart attack bro lol a lot of Mari and wild bite the bullet within a few years while aquacultured remain hardy. One nice alk swing is all it takes. Believe me bro lol vendors talk to one another and since we’re the ones bringing this stuff in for you guys, I’m pretty sure we know what we’re talking about. Ask around.... wait may be hard to find someone that keeps em long term because 95% of SPS vendors are chop shops. I have acros Iv kept alive in captivity for 12 years now. If I could take a guess if you bought 1000 colonies today, 5 years down the road you will only have 250-500 left and thriving. Just my guess based on my own experience... you buy 1000 aquacultured frags and I bet you still have 900 after 5 years. Mortality rate is MUCH higher when dabbling into Mari wild stuff.

BantyRooster97 and ajcanale like this.
  20. ajcanale

ajcanale Active Member R2R Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted