“Ich in DT, pls help” UPDATE SOS

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: one qt is doing amazingly (2 clowns & Talbots damsel) BUT the other qt (puffer, Dory, 2 mandarins and the black damsel) is doing TERRIBLY.

At first they were doing great but now today they are looking worse than ever. I don’t know what to do or why they got worse all of a sudden. I did a water change (about 20%) yesterday cause the ammonia got a bit high but I thought it would help?? I’m so confused and feel horrible that our poor fish aren’t getting better. The pics don’t do it justice

The blue tang now has something on one of her fins as well. It kind of looks like a tiny bubble crossed with a blister you would get if you burned yourself? Her and the damsel have been scratching on a rock decor a lot today

I think one of the mandarins has white patches from taking a nap but I added a pic just incase

3AF41B3C-4179-452C-8ADB-CAF262D93A29.jpeg 2D4844CD-E248-4FC8-949F-D0FA0729B51A.jpeg 2CD71D98-B144-40A9-8F6B-5E0E3D75BF0D.png 3B7079BB-2B14-4F4B-B200-FB569C006C21.png D4E30D30-CD82-4D08-BF34-664F908EFD11.png

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That poor valentini is super skinny. Do you have any mysis or frozen clams on the half shell? I don’t know enough to say anything about your poor hippo. I’m going to call in some help.

@ReefSquad @Jay Hemdal @4FordFamily @Flippers4pups @Humblefish

Thank you so much!! We bought her (no idea if it’s actually a girl) like that fairly recently from a LFS, I assumed that’s what she’s supposed to look like.

She’s mostly goes for the frozen spirulina shrimp, but we have a family of mysis in the DT that came on some live rock. Are there special clams for fish or do you mean like a literal clam from the grocery store?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I’ve had a valentini he looked like this
F8DC1024-F46C-4AFF-B05F-592929BC22B0.jpeg

not great side shot. But yeah, they should be more round. Here’s a good pic from LA (which is how mine looked from the side but he was camera shy)
5B177BFF-6966-4AB3-83A3-379894D5A479.jpeg

and yeah clams from the grocery store would work. My LFS has bags of small clams frozen on the half shell which I fed him. I don’t remember the name of the company that made them. I’ll play again in a sec with the name

Big thing with puffers is they’re like rodents. Their teeth never stop growing so you need to feed a lot of shelled meaty foods so they can wear their teeth down. Otherwise they can’t open their mouths anymore and they starve (their teeth grow together and prevent them from opening their mouths).

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not convinced your puffer has ICH if it is just the fin. Can be lympho.
Whatever it is, you need to boost their immune system and those fish need to be fed. But in a QT dont put too much food either or let uneaten food sit around. Puffers like seafood... mysis, clam, raw shrimp.
Dori needs seaweed.
Tough to tell more from your pics
1597372647741.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what are you treating with currently?

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I’ve had a valentini he looked like this
F8DC1024-F46C-4AFF-B05F-592929BC22B0.jpeg

not great side shot. But yeah, they should be more round. Here’s a good pic from LA (which is how mine looked from the side but he was camera shy)
5B177BFF-6966-4AB3-83A3-379894D5A479.jpeg

and yeah clams from the grocery store would work. My LFS has bags of small clams frozen on the half shell which I fed him. I don’t remember the name of the company that made them. I’ll play again in a sec with the name

Big thing with puffers is they’re like rodents. Their teeth never stop growing so you need to feed a lot of shelled meaty foods so they can wear their teeth down. Otherwise they can’t open their mouths anymore and they starve (their teeth grow together and prevent them from opening their mouths).

So cute! Thanks so much

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not convinced your puffer has ICH if it is just the fin. Can be lympho.
Whatever it is, you need to boost their immune system and those fish need to be fed. But in a QT dont put too much food either or let uneaten food sit around. Puffers like seafood... mysis, clam, raw shrimp.
Dori needs seaweed.
Tough to tell more from your pics
1597372647741.jpeg

Thank you! Will do. While in qt I’ve been feeding a variety of purple seaweed, frozen spirulina shrimp daily and pellets as well every other day. Any suggestions on helping their immune system?

This all started with ich on one of my clowns

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api ich treatment

I had to do some digging, but API Super Ich Cure is nitrofurazone and malachite green - I wouldn't use that on marine fish.

One thing; biosecurity is REALLY important here - don't let anything get from the QT with the problem to the QT that is doing well; hands, tank tools, water, droplets, etc. You want to ensure that any disease present doesn't transfer.

How high did the ammonia go, and is it near zero now?

Normally, I would recommend chelated copper at 2 ppm, but the mandarin isn't going to be happy with that. I know mandarins are cool, but they are so difficult to get through quarantine; they just don't like bare tanks. The only way I'll get one now is to put it in a fishless coral prop system with lots of pods to feed on, and then wait 45 days before moving it to the DT....not practical for most folks, I understand.

Jay Hemdal

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

API Ich Treatment isn't a good way to treat ich or velvet, which is common today -- but may not be the ailment. The scratching though indicates one of those two is highly likely, although flukes may be another culprit.

Sand and rock in a quarantine can and will absorb some medications, making treatment next to impossible without severely overdosing and daily monitoring.

I agree with chelated copper at @ 2PPM for copper. I'd start with a 5 minute freshwater dip. Maintain the temperature the same as the QT, and use RO water. If you see sesame seed looking things at the bottom afterward, flukes are the or one of the culprits, use prazi pro 5-7 days apart, follow bottle instructions to clear this.

Otherwise, a Copper and Metroplex plan (dose metroplex for 14 days and copper for a full 30 for everything except the mandarin) for a good prophylactic mix.

Back