“Killing” live rock and prep for reintroduction

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some live rock from a 55 g that had some macro algae on it that I didn’t want in my 120g. I let the rock dry out for a couple months, now I want to add it to my 120 g.

what steps should I take to prepare this “dead” rock to be added my 120 g? (Rock is wet from scrubbing and cleaning)

7367381F-476D-49D8-8545-7D2600E391AA.jpeg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spray it down with straight peroxide & let it air dry then rinse.
Or bleach in a bucket, empty fill with fresh & dechlorinator let it sit for a day & use.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you've had it dried out for months. After doing your bleach/ h2o2 dips, I do not think it is needed to totally try out again which can take weeks. I would probably soak in and out from a few clean rodi water buckets back to back.

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you've had it dried out for months. After doing your bleach/ h2o2 dips, I do not think it is needed to totally try out again which can take weeks. I would probably soak in and out from a few clean rodi water buckets back to back.
Yeah, I wanted to make sure I got all the dead off so no algae spores make their way in! I think I can get my hands on some low range chlorine test strips (used in food operations) as well, just for an added measure of safety!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I wanted to make sure I got all the dead off so no algae spores make their way in! I think I can get my hands on some low range chlorine test strips (used in food operations) as well, just for an added measure of safety!
Warming up your cleaning water will help flash off any chlorine as well. A turkey baster to the rock should help clean all the gunk off and bring in clean rock.

Recently I had a rock dry for 3 weeks outside. When it went into the rock only bin, there was a few Gsp that showed up and opened .. super weird

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warming up your cleaning water will help flash off any chlorine as well. A turkey baster to the rock should help clean all the gunk off and bring in clean rock.

Recently I had a rock dry for 3 weeks outside. When it went into the rock only bin, there was a few Gsp that showed up and opened .. super weird
This rock was dry before and I had some pale star polyps and two toadstools pop up! Unfortunately the invasive algae survived too otherwise it would have been cool to watch them grow!

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drying in the sun will work. I prefer to soak in sodium thiosulfate after bleach treatment to make sure that the bleach is gone. You can use the chart here to determine how much sodium thiosulfate you need. Don't waste your money on expensive dechlorinators...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back