“Popbloom” led panels....

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143750057567

Stumbled across these, seem they do all you’d want for a low price, however they do seem to be missing a violet channel
Anyone use these? Curious if they’d be any good, ive used “viparspectra blackbox” before and grew this
5F154549-0158-47E7-9AC0-D65AF45FF415.jpeg
so not too worried about “high end” branded stuff, it’s mainly the lack of violet that bothers me tbh...
Any thoughts welcomed ✌️

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the specs from their ad:

1618403946926.png

Given 112 individual leds and only 100 watts of power, it's my guess that the ability of this fixture to penetrate 24" of water is 'iffy' at best. Roughly 1 watt per led is better than Current Orbit or Fulval fixtures at less than 0.5 watt per led. And you mentioned Viparspectra in your post. That is a very good 'black box' fixture and uses 3 watt leds driven at 2.2 watts per led which is what most black box fixtures run (other than Mars Aqua which uses 3 watt leds at 1.85 watts per led).

So, probably an OK fixture. Better for shallow tanks than deep tanks and OK for most corals but probably not a lot of sps corals.

OP
OP
A

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye on closer inspection not great, good features for a budget fixture but not enough umph for what I want it for..
thing I don’t like about viowrspectre is there is no dimming, it’s just on or off and the clock runs fast so need to keep adjusting it..

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye on closer inspection not great, good features for a budget fixture but not enough umph for what I want it for..
thing I don’t like about viowrspectre is there is no dimming, it’s just on or off and the clock runs fast so need to keep adjusting it..
The "watt difference" between Vipar and pop is 121w vs 100w. Depending on the diode quality this could be meaningless.

Bigger difference is 90 vs 120 degree beam angle.

OP
OP
A

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye but these are at least twice the length of the viper and only use 1w chips... also no violet leds present..
..tbf if I could find a way of automatically ramping the viper up and down (Anyone know of a way by any chance?) I’d just buy 3 of those again and use a diffuser in the hood..

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "watt difference" between Vipar and pop is 121w vs 100w. Depending on the diode quality this could be meaningless.

Bigger difference is 90 vs 120 degree beam angle.
But the difference in the number of leds make the difference in wattage a big deal. Pushing a 3 watt led at 2.2 watts works well for making good PAR levels. I don't know what wattage the pop fixture is using, but at less than 1 watt per led, I'd be willing to bet serious money it does not produce anywhere near the same PAR as the Viparspectra!

And yes, the difference between the 90 vs 120 degree lenses is also a big difference.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and, by the way, I have a 72x24x24 tank lit by 4 x 90w popbloom fixture that are growing SPS without problem. most of them are mid and top, , but not many fixture will grow high demanding sps at bottom tank anyway.

Josh Will

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye but these are at least twice the length of the viper and only use 1w chips... also no violet leds present..
..tbf if I could find a way of automatically ramping the viper up and down (Anyone know of a way by any chance?) I’d just buy 3 of those again and use a diffuser in the hood..
They said it use 3w and 0.5w mixed, and total 100wattage. Check the light info, it is 3.6cm thickness, may be can fit in your hood.

What light you choose in the end? :D

Back