“Rare” torches are a con

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost is a matter of perspective. They cost as much as they do because there's enough people what want them that are able to afford them at that price. When sales taper off, the prices will drop. I wouldn't bat an eye at a $300 - $500 coral, or even a $1k if i really liked it. I'm not going to drop that kind of money any time soon on coral, but that's more of a skill thing. I don't mind spending it, I do mind wasting it by killing the coral. I'm looking forward to reaching the point where I can buy a Nexus Burst Bubble Tip Anemone with confidence.
This is the kind of thing I just don’t understand. I am confident in my ability to keep most corals/anemones alive. I not rich, but I’m okay, I could pack my tank with designer corals if I wanted to, but even being confident that I could keep them alive, after a certain price point it just becomes too stressful, it’s no longer a relaxing hobby. I don’t want to look at my tank through the lens of how much money something costs, and if buy absurdly priced corals, that’s what will happen, it will suck all of the joy and relaxation out of the hobby. At least for me.

And the thing is it’s not like most of these expensive corals are really all that much prettier than more reasonably priced versions, we’re talking barely perceivable variations in color, certainly not such wild differences as to justify the difference between $200 and $2000. So for me, I have to question what the point of buying these high priced corals is, is it because it’s truly that much more beautiful, or is it a clout thing to feed the ego?

DopamineKata

Beltalowda
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to question what the point of buying these high priced corals is, is it because it’s truly that much more beautiful, or is it a clout thing to feed the ego?
For some folks that might be it. Lord knows I've seen a lot of folks bragging about how much something cost them. Why should corals be any different for people of that mindset? For others it might be a Pokemon thing, they find joy in having rare/unusual morphs. For many others, like myself, it's simply a question of "do I really like that thing enough to pay X?". The price point for X is based on your financial situation.

One of my other hobbies is collecting silver coins. Multiple times a week I hear someone complaining that the price of a one ounce American Silver Eagle is a ripoff because the spot price of silver is less than $25 an ounce and an ASE retails for $36ish. In the meantime, I have several "art coins" sitting on a shelf in my office that cost me anywhere between $100 and $500 an ounce. I bought them because they're rare, and beautiful and they bring me joy when I look at them. I don't invite people to come look at them, in general I don't even discuss the fact that I own them. They're for me.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost is a matter of perspective. They cost as much as they do because there's enough people what want them that are able to afford them at that price. When sales taper off, the prices will drop. I wouldn't bat an eye at a $300 - $500 coral, or even a $1k if i really liked it. I'm not going to drop that kind of money any time soon on coral, but that's more of a skill thing. I don't mind spending it, I do mind wasting it by killing the coral. I'm looking forward to reaching the point where I can buy a Nexus Burst Bubble Tip Anemone with confidence.
Ate they harder than a regular RBTA care wise?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the kind of thing I just don’t understand. I am confident in my ability to keep most corals/anemones alive. I not rich, but I’m okay, I could pack my tank with designer corals if I wanted to, but even being confident that I could keep them alive, after a certain price point it just becomes too stressful, it’s no longer a relaxing hobby. I don’t want to look at my tank through the lens of how much money something costs, and if buy absurdly priced corals, that’s what will happen, it will suck all of the joy and relaxation out of the hobby. At least for me.

And the thing is it’s not like most of these expensive corals are really all that much prettier than more reasonably priced versions, we’re talking barely perceivable variations in color, certainly not such wild differences as to justify the difference between $200 and $2000. So for me, I have to question what the point of buying these high priced corals is, is it because it’s truly that much more beautiful, or is it a clout thing to feed the ego?
it’s a clout thing…similar to the VERY frequent post about needing Nitrate dosing….sorry but I suspect half of them is a “ back door brag” ….

Back