“Rare” torches are a con

StoneyK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It occured to me this morning as im scrolling thru my ig an a few other haunts…
Reseller after reseller selling their “rare” torches.
Torches that literally grow like trees have many many vendors with large grow outs an plenty of stock to keep them pumping out.
To paraphrase the princes bride movie…
Rare? You keep saying that word… Im not sure that word means what you think it means… lol.

Prove me wrong…. Explain to me how your god toches , 24k or any other torch can be called rare when tons of retailers sell them constantly out of large grow out tanks that spit them out left an right?

websters definition of “rare”

rare, scarce, and uncommon mean being in short supply. rare is usually used for an object or quality of which only a few examples are to be found and which is therefore especially appreciated. He found a rare gem. scarce is used for something that for a while is in short supply.

When there are thousands of examples and hundreds of retailers….
How is it rare?

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supply and demand. Right now the demand is higher than supply
I disagree with this. In general even the torches defined as rare can be bought. They are expensive steering the masses away. How many types of torches are "un available" only when they can't be found is the demand higher than supply

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to run a business if you can't move a product.. if people are buying them at the asking price that is justifiying it, rare or not.
Now this is the way it is. Rare isn't right. People are willing to pay the high prices.... kind of like people selling toilet paper in 2020 during the beginning of the covid stuff... they were selling to for like 20 and 30 times what it cost.... because people paid for it.... clearly they don't know the 3 sea shell method lol

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with this. In general even the torches defined as rare can be bought. They are expensive steering the masses away. How many types of torches are "un available" only when they can't be found is the demand higher than supply
But that's part of supply and demand. If demand is higher than supply, vendors raise their prices. As long as they continue to sell all the supply, they'll continue to raise the prices.
If you took these rare, $400 torches and sold them for less than $100, you might not be able to find them anymore as more people are willing to pay the lower price for them.

However, that doesn't mean there aren't other factors at play. Just calling something rare may be enough to drive some potential buyers to pay a premium out of fear of not being able to get their hands on another one any time soon.
Similarly, there's the concept of perceived value. Artificially jacking up a price will make people assume the item is worth more, which is why it's expensive, so of course they should buy it.

I read a post a while back where someone mentioned that vendors should stop coming up with all the fancy names and just use their real names. That way you know that this $400 "Ultra God Super Indo Torch" is the same as the one marked "misc purple/blue single head $49.99".
Of course, no one is going to do that. Even if they tried, I think it's fair to assume most of them would be mismarked anyway.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few exclusive uber ultra rare super deluxe coral jpeg NFTs if anyone wants to get in early on this once in a lifetime historical opportunity to own a truly unique piece of nothing.
Nft GIF by South Park

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Prove me wrong".... That's silly...

But Ok. How many people do you know with a real Masters? Lineaged Todd's, ASD HG, vs run of the mill?

How many of these do you see in your LFS?

Indo golds are not rare. I'll agree, But you are throwing the baby in with the bathwater. There are many lines of rare torches that require lineage.

Nobody needs to prove you wrong.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this is the way it is. Rare isn't right. People are willing to pay the high prices.... kind of like people selling toilet paper in 2020 during the beginning of the covid stuff... they were selling to for like 20 and 30 times what it cost.... because people paid for it.... clearly they don't know the 3 sea shell method lol
IKR. I'm landlocked, so sea shells are hard to find around here, but we have plenty of corn cobbs.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that's part of supply and demand. If demand is higher than supply, vendors raise their prices. As long as they continue to sell all the supply, they'll continue to raise the prices.
If you took these rare, $400 torches and sold them for less than $100, you might not be able to find them anymore as more people are willing to pay the lower price for them.

However, that doesn't mean there aren't other factors at play. Just calling something rare may be enough to drive some potential buyers to pay a premium out of fear of not being able to get their hands on another one any time soon.
Similarly, there's the concept of perceived value. Artificially jacking up a price will make people assume the item is worth more, which is why it's expensive, so of course they should buy it.

I read a post a while back where someone mentioned that vendors should stop coming up with all the fancy names and just use their real names. That way you know that this $400 "Ultra God Super Indo Torch" is the same as the one marked "misc purple/blue single head $49.99".
Of course, no one is going to do that. Even if they tried, I think it's fair to assume most of them would be mismarked anyway.

IKR. I'm landlocked, so sea shells are hard to find around here, but we have plenty of corn cobbs.
I referenced demolition man. It seems Noone caught it lol

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It occured to me this morning as im scrolling thru my ig an a few other haunts…
Reseller after reseller selling their “rare” torches.
Torches that literally grow like trees have many many vendors with large grow outs an plenty of stock to keep them pumping out.
To paraphrase the princes bride movie…
Rare? You keep saying that word… Im not sure that word means what you think it means… lol.

Prove me wrong…. Explain to me how your god toches , 24k or any other torch can be called rare when tons of retailers sell them constantly out of large grow out tanks that spit them out left an right?

websters definition of “rare”

rare, scarce, and uncommon mean being in short supply. rare is usually used for an object or quality of which only a few examples are to be found and which is therefore especially appreciated. He found a rare gem. scarce is used for something that for a while is in short supply.

When there are thousands of examples and hundreds of retailers….
How is it rare?
I believe it is the convergence of the 'bigger idiot theory' and 'artificial scarcity' going awry.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not bad sylvester stallone GIF by Ben L

Back