“Rare” torches are a con

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Lineage means nothing when everything was collected from the same farm 2 weeks prior to selling. Lineage is just a name slapped onto it like ultra. ASD holy grail. I bet ASD ran out of their initial torches or sold the initial colony that they called holy grail years ago. They now just import holy grail torches and sell them as ASD.

Check out my torch sale thread. I imported 20 colonies of hellfire, NY knicks, holy grail and masters. To say they are different than X sellers is ridiculous. compare my hellfire with any hellfire on the market. They are identical. Now camera work is what most of you end up paying for.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now this is the way it is. Rare isn't right. People are willing to pay the high prices.... kind of like people selling toilet paper in 2020 during the beginning of the covid stuff... they were selling to for like 20 and 30 times what it cost.... because people paid for it.... clearly they don't know the 3 sea shell method lol
Are you killing your cat in that picture? ;)

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Fresh indo that may die vs one that has a reputation of being hardy. It's not always the source, but the longevity of the piece.
I’m not sure how many fresh out of the ocean/farmed torches you have had but in my experience if they don’t die prior to arrival, within the first few hours of landing, or within a day they are just as hardy as all the “lineage” torches.

I’m sure people will tell you otherwise as they want you to fork out $2000/head.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1642618281250.png
Anyone know a plumber than can remove seashells too large for my pipes?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know a plumber than can remove seashells too large for my pipes?

I do belive you are supposed to purchase shells large enough that they don't get flushed down. That way they get spin washed when you flush and you can take them out and reuse :cool:

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do belive you are supposed to purchase shells large enough that they don't get flushed down. That way they get spin washed when you flush and you can take them out and reuse :cool:
Step 0, Be the first to use the shells on taco bell night

OP
OP
S

StoneyK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm is this another corals are too pricey thread in disguise?
Its A Trap GIF
Not really… More of a your trying to hype a coral into being rare thats not so you can rip people off theead.
An im obviously not the only one who has similar feelings.
Im just saying call it like it is…
You think you got something special say so an if people pay great…
Dont lie an pump em full of bs and implied value so you can make an extra buck off em.
I do realize im getting into more of an ethics discusssion then a coral one but it hit me hard today as pretty ridiculous. I do believe theres a happy medium between being fair an profit.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It occured to me this morning as im scrolling thru my ig an a few other haunts…
Reseller after reseller selling their “rare” torches.
Torches that literally grow like trees have many many vendors with large grow outs an plenty of stock to keep them pumping out.
To paraphrase the princes bride movie…
Rare? You keep saying that word… Im not sure that word means what you think it means… lol.

Prove me wrong…. Explain to me how your god toches , 24k or any other torch can be called rare when tons of retailers sell them constantly out of large grow out tanks that spit them out left an right?

websters definition of “rare”

rare, scarce, and uncommon mean being in short supply. rare is usually used for an object or quality of which only a few examples are to be found and which is therefore especially appreciated. He found a rare gem. scarce is used for something that for a while is in short supply.

When there are thousands of examples and hundreds of retailers….
How is it rare?
Good point.
This is my first marine aquarium so am paying the price asked without question.
One I bought was a 3 polyp plug of palm tree coral. I paid $25. The LFS said until recently these were $50 per polyp? Why when it grows so fast.
In a month it's now 9 polyps.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lineage means nothing when everything was collected from the same farm 2 weeks prior to selling. Lineage is just a name slapped onto it like ultra. ASD holy grail. I bet ASD ran out of their initial torches or sold the initial colony that they called holy grail years ago. They now just import holy grail torches and sell them as ASD.

Check out my torch sale thread. I imported 20 colonies of hellfire, NY knicks, holy grail and masters. To say they are different than X sellers is ridiculous. compare my hellfire with any hellfire on the market. They are identical. Now camera work is what most of you end up paying for.

Here's the question, though... Are you selling yours for the same prices everyone else is?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my sale thread for rare rainbow
conch-man.jpg

giant conch shells. They are environmentally friendly and you will feel good about yourself when you don't waste paper anymore. These are much cleaner to use then those slippery scallops. :)

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really… More of a your trying to hype a coral into being rare thats not so you can rip people off theead.
An im obviously not the only one who has similar feelings.
Im just saying call it like it is…
You think you got something special say so an if people pay great…
Dont lie an pump em full of bs and implied value so you can make an extra buck off em.
I do realize im getting into more of an ethics discusssion then a coral one but it hit me hard today as pretty ridiculous. I do believe theres a happy medium between being fair an profit.
I agree entirely with you and the whole premise. Sorry if my joke was taken the wrong way, I didn't mean to imply anything by it.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check out my sale thread for rare rainbow
conch-man.jpg

giant conch shells. They are environmentally friendly and you will feel good about yourself when you don't waste paper anymore. These are much cleaner to use then those
….how bout these? as Charmin says “enjoy the go” he he
slippery scallops.
1642676828909.jpeg

Back