“Safe Top Lids”???

Thrassian Atoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one back in May and still haven’t received it. This dude has been giving me the run around for months now. He even admitted to bumping me down the list because of all the people wanting refunds and him not wanting to lose business.

I just want my lid. dang near $500. Everytime I talk to him he says the lid will be made soon. Had I known months ago that was a lie, I would of requested a refund and went with Clearview.

I know it will take 3 months to get one from Clearview though, so it’s a lose lose. At the time, Clearview was going through some personally stuff, so I figured I would give Safetop a try. Terrible decision.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was suppose to send me drawings and a quote to get this thing ordered and I have not heard a word from him. Looks like a lost cause at least I did not give him any money at this time.

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummed out to hear this. I had reached out to them almost a year ago because I liked what I saw on IG. Then I got delayed and never set up the tank. Finally, a year later I got things going and reached out to them again on IG a few weeks back. Never heard back. I liked their design the most with the cut out that make the lid more open and no condensation. I guess the search continues.

Thrassian Atoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told Safetop lids to either give me a no BS timeframe of when my lid was going to be on my tank or give me a refund. Well I got a refund today. I went ahead and ordered the Pisces Exo from Clearview just now.

mfrumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is now week 13 since I ordered and paid $304 for my lid. He texted they would be up and running again next week, but I get an answer from them on when I can expect my order. Sigh. Looks like it is refund time. Going to us Octo or Clearview. Total pain in the butt.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I came across this thread. His lids were beautiful but not worth dealing with this headache. I had sent him an email a week ago with no response, looks like I dodged a bullet.

Steve Wallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Safe Top lid and it's great. My tank is 36" x 18", fits perfectly, no sagging, no condensation.

E80C2224-833E-4B3B-97A9-173E4BADF65A.jpeg
Would you mind sharing what this lid cost? I need the same one.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like it? Would you recommend it? How long did you wait? Thanks!
I like it... i waited, man like 11 weeks.. crazy i made a eggcrate one with clear net in meantime.. i like it.. i never had another one. If i was to do it over it again id add a third door in front middle.. instead of 2... bascially halved the tank..

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it... i waited, man like 11 weeks.. crazy i made a eggcrate one with clear net in meantime.. i like it.. i never had another one. If i was to do it over it again id add a third door in front middle.. instead of 2... bascially halved the tank..
Do you have a photo of the egg crate one with clear net you used in the meantime? I can’t picture this. I need an interim solution. Thanks

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Matt (@cromag27) made me a custom lid for my Waterbox 220.6. It came out absolutely amazing. Took about 4 weeks after payment/dimension confirmation. He was straight to the point to deal with and would not hesitate to do business with him in the future.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I did for my tank in the meantime while my TOOLID was being made...
go to Home Depot and find a window screen big enough to fit your tank and just tape it.

Here’smy tank with the screen and then with the TopLid
EE061E45-979B-4F05-A2FA-DE7559BE6893.jpeg
067C0714-58B4-4EA1-909F-899229F0A360.jpeg
80124127-1AFE-479F-A608-0A5CB71800A6.jpeg

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dealing with Safe Top Lids now. I've only spoken with Fernando thru email. Took a couple of weeks before he was ready to give me a quote: sent my blueprints and pictures of the top of my tank. He sent me an invoice thru paypal, which i paid immediately on 4/22.

I just heard back from Freddy in the "engineering department" asking for pictures and blueprints? Huh. I'm awaiting a reply to my email. I went to their website this morning and apparently it's down. Not a good sign, but at least they are communicating with me. lol

We'll see what happens from here.:)

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dealing with Safe Top Lids now. I've only spoken with Fernando thru email. Took a couple of weeks before he was ready to give me a quote: sent my blueprints and pictures of the top of my tank. He sent me an invoice thru paypal, which i paid immediately on 4/22.

I just heard back from Freddy in the "engineering department" asking for pictures and blueprints? Huh. I'm awaiting a reply to my email. I went to their website this morning and apparently it's down. Not a good sign, but at least they are communicating with me. lol

We'll see what happens from here.:)
I would be concerned as well. Good luck and Godspeed!

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Mike.

I just heard back from Freddy and he said things got a little messed up because they lost a worker last week. He found my pics and blueprints, and will be sending me a 3D model for me to approve very soon so they can get to work on producing my lid. Hopefully, that's good news.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Mike.

I just heard back from Freddy and he said things got a little messed up because they lost a worker last week. He found my pics and blueprints, and will be sending me a 3D model for me to approve very soon so they can get to work on producing my lid. Hopefully, that's good news.
Definitely good news. Hope it gets shipped soon!

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard from Safe Top Lids yesterday and supposedly my top is going for cutting soon. Here's what it will look like.
safetoplids.png

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so interesting to read. Three days ago, I reached out to Top Lids (i.e., Fernando) about a fusion vent frame for my Red Sea Peninsula 500. Fernando was very responsive, sent over the blueprint template, gave me PayPal instructions, we e-mailed back and forth repeatedly while he answered my questions, etc. Yesterday morning I completed the measurements on the template and e-mailed those to him along with my PayPal payment instructions, which he immediately processed.

I have now been trying for the past 36 hours to get in touch with him to confirm that he received everything that he needs to provide me the final schematic and it has been complete radio silence. His phone number doesn't work (says "User Busy" immediately after dialing) and he is completely unresponsive to e-mail. I honestly think the build quality on these lids is exceptional, but this lack of responsiveness and what appears to be a very long production time (he told me 4-6 weeks from payment to delivery, but looks like it might be much longer) is really making me wonder.

My plan is to try and contact him a few more times between now and Monday, but if I still cannot get him, I'll likely cancel the order and start over with someone else. Really a shame that they do not take the time to focus on basic communications with their customers.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back