“Splash” brand bleach

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some bleach, yellow bottle, name of brand is “splash”, household cleaner bleach.

Is this safe to use on filter socks?

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just worried about the “other” ingredients .

You real all about the bleach with detergents in them or some type of polymer

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just worried about the “other” ingredients .

You real all about the bleach with detergents in them or some type of polymer

This product?

Do you see a list of other ingredients? I cannot.

I'm not actually worried about the polymers typically used in bleaches to reduce splashing.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that product. On the SDS sheets, it list percentage in range, 3-8 percent, and under that in the description, there is an asterisk stating “chemical names listed as
Proprietary and/or ranges given for weight or percentage are trade secrets.”

I took that as meaning that they are only listing the stuff in there that they must, not everything.

But perhaps here the trade secret is the exact percentage of active ingredient, not secret ingredients.

In any case, looks fine to use?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that product. On the SDS sheets, it list percentage in range, 3-8 percent, and under that in the description, there is an asterisk stating “chemical names listed as
Proprietary and/or ranges given for weight or percentage are trade secrets.”

I took that as meaning that they are only listing the stuff in there that they must, not everything.

But perhaps here the trade secret is the exact percentage of active ingredient, not secret ingredients.

In any case, looks fine to use?

There is nothing in the SDS about any other ingredients present, or to suggest there are any except water and the sodium hypochlorite (which is what bleach is: a small amount of sodium hypochlorite and mostly water).

Are there any listed on the product label?

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not.

Just trying to be super sure, if there is a such thing.

Best example I can give is a few weeks back I bought a brand “pure bright” bleach. SDS showed just sodium hypochlorite, 5 %.

No other asterisks or remarks on SDS.

On this particular one, it’s shows that sodium hypochlorite as “3-8%”, with an asterisk under the ingredient box saying “names , or CAS No. listed as proprietary, or percentages listed as a range of the compositions are being withheld as trade secret”

That’s what i suppose thru me off, the aterisk, or trade secret (unknowns of what’s in it)

When you look at SDS of “splashless” chlorox, ingredients listed their are sodium hypochlorite, and sodium hydroxide, with percentages being with held as trade secret.

Yet you will here not to use this bleach (splashless) because it “nuked” his or her tank. Would any of those ingredients (hypochlorite or hydroxide) do that? Or is this simply unfounded.

What on a bleach label would tell you it’s not good to use for reef cleaning ? (Equipment, rocks , socks, etc)

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But to answer your question, I believe it says just 5% sodium hypochlorite on the “splash” brand.

I’m pretty sure the “chromax” patented chlorox bleach (has that gold label on it) says just sodium hypochlorite as well, and supposed that stuff has the feel of more of a detergent and ruins socks, rocks etc.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using the splashless bleach for a few months now. Havnet had an issue.

I only noticed it was splashless after the bottle started getting smaller when the pandemic hit.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using the splashless bleach for a few months now. Havnet had an issue.

I only noticed it was splashless after the bottle started getting smaller when the pandemic hit.

Well that is of high interest to me. Literally through out 6-7 bottles of this stiff after reading on here that stuff will wreak havoc on the tank even after rinsing

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soak my filter socks in a bucket of splashless bleach and water. Then wash them in the washing machine, air dry. Been using the chlorox splashless since like march.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the standpoint of the actual material in "splashless" bleach, it appears to be a modified acrylic polymer, at least based on the information in several patents. In theory that would not in and of itself be toxic to aquatic organisms, but if a substantial amount of it got into a reef tank, I'd guess that it would create a foam apocalypse in a similar manner to those unfortunate souls whose 3-year-old poured detergent into the sump.

Personally, I wouldn't be worried about using "splashless" bleach to clean filter socks as long as they're thoroughly rinsed in RODI afterward (which you should do regardless of what you clean them with).

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want straight plain old bleach. Go to Walmart or Dollar General. They both carry regular bleach. Stay far away from everything else.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not.

Just trying to be super sure, if there is a such thing.

Best example I can give is a few weeks back I bought a brand “pure bright” bleach. SDS showed just sodium hypochlorite, 5 %.

No other asterisks or remarks on SDS.

On this particular one, it’s shows that sodium hypochlorite as “3-8%”, with an asterisk under the ingredient box saying “names , or CAS No. listed as proprietary, or percentages listed as a range of the compositions are being withheld as trade secret”

That’s what i suppose thru me off, the aterisk, or trade secret (unknowns of what’s in it)

When you look at SDS of “splashless” chlorox, ingredients listed their are sodium hypochlorite, and sodium hydroxide, with percentages being with held as trade secret.

Yet you will here not to use this bleach (splashless) because it “nuked” his or her tank. Would any of those ingredients (hypochlorite or hydroxide) do that? Or is this simply unfounded.

What on a bleach label would tell you it’s not good to use for reef cleaning ? (Equipment, rocks , socks, etc)

I understand things may not be listed on the SDS. If nothing is listed on the label or on the SDS, then there is nothing to go by other than whether others have used it.

I am not sure there is anything that is likely to be in commercial bleach that would tell me it is not suitable for cleaning filter socks. Rocks are a different story as many more things will bind to rock surfaces. I would not use a splashless bleach on rocks as the polymer used may coat the rock. That may be fine, but I'm not sure what longer term effect it may have on, say coralline attachment.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want straight plain old bleach. Go to Walmart or Dollar General. They both carry regular bleach. Stay far away from everything else.

But do you have reason to think this brand is not just bleach? That's the question at hand.

Pugs508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But do you have reason to think this brand is not just bleach? That's the question at hand.
Hey randy,
Unfortunately just made this exact mistake (low splash walmart bleach). Rock soaked for 16 hours before recognizing the mistake was made. I've thoroughly rinsed the rock and then acid washed it. Is it able to be saved in your opinion? Was thinking of letting it sit in carbon for a month.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back