“Take the weekend off, you’ve earned it” Good or Bad Advice?

Taking the weekend off from your reef tank....

• Good advice

Votes: 200 43.7%
  • Bad advice

Votes: 210 45.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 48 10.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
“Take the weekend off, you’ve earned it”

“Keep your hands out of the tank!” “Stop chasing numbers!” Some pretty harsh statements but is there an element of truth to them?

We are all guilty of it! It’s not as if we’re given a choice, when we come face to face with a problem, we are inherently hard wired to seek out a solution. Only to realize that our actions had adverse consequences. Were we too quick with our diagnoses? Did we start down a path that by our own intervention made things worse?

There is no shortage of testimonials from people taking a week long vacation to come back and see their tank looking better than ever. And reports that once someone decided to stop tinkering and let things happen, their tank turned around.

Take the weekend off! Is that sound advice or is it a recipe for disaster?

@d2mini relax and enjoy the view...
i-WqMzX2G.jpg

Thank you to @Sisterlimonpot for today's QOTD!!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is good to just sit back and relax sometimes. If there is an emergency, yes, take control. If not, usually slow changes and observation is a good call.

I must admit. I do not think I have tested anything except pH and temp with Apex and salinity for ages. Maybe 3-4 years ago I tested Ca, Mg, Nitrate. I find observation can do wonders.

Plus, these are amazing systems. It is good to stop and observe. Of course, right now I am in waiting mode for my main system. Everything is in qt for a couple more weeks.

Attachments

• 20200523_150253.mp4
    44.1 MB

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i voted other. contrarian reporting for duty! lol
in my life it became apparent that i over-steer. in driving they say keep your car in your lane as defined by the stripes. if you look just past your hood to the stripe and try to hold position, your wheel is constantly making adjustments. my corrections would be too much requiring me to swing the other way, then the other. I can do that in all areas of my life. The pro tip is to look ahead and drive the road. Then I find I am making small gradual adjustments. So, Speed up. Slow down. Two pieces of advice, each "good advice" in some situations. I try to 'do my part', in partnerships each participant has a role. I do my part and the other life forms are allowed to do theirs.
Very good question, it actually reminded me to relax a little and be part of my aquarium experience, not god of it.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other....
I'm not advising anyone on what to do with their tanks. (aside from requested aquascape thoughts)
weekends are usually when I play in the tank. since I work from home now, I don't pass the LFS on my way home from work. so weekends are shopping trips food, salt and new acquisitions which then need to be placed in the water box.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to enjoy life or anything else in general, you have to stop and smell the roses. I try to get everything done during the week and nothing on the weekends.
Me too. I work from home and my tanks are in my office, so I do everything during the week.

Ray Emhardt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to enjoy life or anything else in general, you have to stop and smell the roses. I try to get everything done during the week and nothing on the weekends.
I unfortunately/fortunately consider my reef tank, my rose garden honestly. I voted bad advice due to they are living creatures or pets when they get ignored for a weekend Murphys Law usually kicks in.....

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately/fortunately consider my reef tank, my rose garden honestly. I voted bad advice due to they are living creatures or pets when they get ignored for a weekend Murphys Law usually kicks in.....

I didn't say ignore them, just do the maintenance during the week and just enjoy them and feed them during the weekend. My tank is my rose garden as well.

tee2greenaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if there is an emergency or issue, certainly resolve it. But like most things in the hobby, if you have some patience, it will work itself out in the end. Keeping your hands out of the tank, and keeping from fiddling with things is tough, but if you sit back and enjoy it, things will often work themselves out. Other than feeding, and filling my auto top off, I try to keep out of it as much as possible. I do have a large emerald crab who likes to flip over frags of corals though, so I’ll pick them back up when I see it. I have one frag on a disc that I haven’t decided where I want in the tank yet, so it’s not glued down, and he flips it over prob twice a week.

Ann Enomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 mixed reef is at my office. I take every weekend off (unless I get a text from APEX.) It has been up and running since 2006 and other than small frequent water changes and cleaning/emptying filters I keep hands off. I would admit it would be different without APEX but with PH,Temp, ORP, Salinity, Leak detection, Float switches and Flow meters all with alarm conditions it gives a piece of mind knowing the tank will survive my weekend off.

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is good advice so much so that I don’t take the weekend off I actually do the opposite, all week long the only interactions I have with my tank are feedings and enjoying the view and once the weekend comes around it’s time for water changes filter changes glass cleaning etc I do believe you shouldn’t have your hands in you tank all the time it’s meant to be enjoyed so go ahead and enjoy it and set aside a day or 2 specifically for tank maintenance In my case I find the tank appreciate’s it as well

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to clean my glass and test my parameters. I am also redoing my sump closet, plumbing in my RODI unit, replacing shelves for aquarium junk storage, installing mixing barrel, fiberglassing floor, etc. So, in response to your Question of the day, my response would be, “I don’t think so.”

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back