“The Gods Must Be Crazy”

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great old movie from the 70s or 80s, but… In the last year I have taken two short work trips this covid crazy year and right now his short work trip to Belize. All my tanks and systems have been running smoothly over the last year with lots of home bound attention.
However on the first trip, a two nighter to NC the acrylic bracket the my hang on refugium snapped, tipping and pouring water onto the floor and causing the ATO with Kalk to continue to fill the tank. Miraculously my wife came in on it and was able to stabilize things before an all out catastrophe. But as you can imagine we had losses.
Second trip, an overnight to St louis the controller on the heater in my QT tank malfunctioned, running the temperature up to 35C. Alarm was going but no one was there to hear it. A precious little cluster of fish
Third trip, start yesterday with my son was checking on everything, and walked into the 29 gallon Prazi/quarantine tank had a crack across the entire front pane. Luckily only 3 to 4 gallons had leaked out, there were no fish in it, and he was able to drain and shut everything down.
So, seems like more than just odds, no?
Anyone else have similar experience?
By the way, I live in a rural setting in Georgia with only 5G for Internet, hence no monitoring systems available. Please Elon, help me

Last edited:

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew it, I'll never be able to leave the house again.

There is almost always at least one adult in the house. That one time there wasn't...filter floss inexplicably clogged on my nano and the return chamber almost ran dry. I came home to bubbles spewing into the display. This never happened before! Never! But leave the house? Of course it happened!

Confirmed, I'm here forever.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about your experiences! If it makes you feel better, I lost all the fish in my IM40 a week ago when I discovered that someone bleached the old milk jug I use for water changes...and didn't clean it out afterward. Fish and snails were dead in five minutes, despite copious water changes.

And yesterday, my jarquarium broke when it was turning it (gently!) on the table. What a mess!

I think we're both overdue for some calm sailing in the next while now. :)

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us have all the luck lol. More times than not while out of town, something happens be it to the tank or to the house that seems otherwise wouldn't be happening while I'm home. It never fails for me. The wife calling in a panic and me trying to figure out how to remedy a situation while being hours away from home. Been happening for so long, I'm shocked to leave town and come back with nothing exciting happening while I'm away. It's a bit comforting to me to know there are others out there with my luck. I thought I was the only one lol. As they say, if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have none at all.

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, forgot that on the second trip the sump pump went out. Not the tank’s sump but the houses’ sump
Something that I probably would’ve taken care of, but instead Plummer charged me $750. That story it’s only interesting in this forum Because refers to a sump, smile smile

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I type this my tank is in Cincinnati Ohio.

I'm currently in Destin FL, 750 miles away for the next week.

Feeding system: Eheim Auto Feeder loaded with New Spectrum pellets..... plus my daughters BF coming over once a day to feed two cubes of Mysis

Monitoring Control System: Apex Lite controlling skimmer, pumps, heaters, flow, light, ATO, everything. I can monitor and make changes on-the-fly at any time.

Screenshot_20210606-202816_APEX Fusion.jpg

Camera system: a group of Wyze cube cameras at $25 a camera. Two on DT. Two on sump fishroom.

Fishroom "eye in the sky" looking down from ceiling mount:

Screenshot_20210602-125942_Wyze.jpg

Zoomed in shot of my sump:

Screenshot_20210602-130204_Wyze.jpg

Zoomed in shot of my ATO:

Screenshot_20210602-130350_Wyze.jpg

One of the best features is a sensitive speaker to listen for sounds and a two-way talk button. Great for giving instructions to a person standing in the room as the camera has a Speaker you talk thru:

Screenshot_20210602-131056_Wyze.jpg

I've been sitting on the Beach enjoying the Salt-Life, watching my tank on my Samsung Android and interacting with R2R whenever

Last edited:
OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and I am sitting in a beachside resort in San Pedro Belize, however my home/farmstead in Watkinsville Georgia is one of those places that high speed Internet has passed by.
So I am profoundly jealous of your set up.
My home internet world is spotty 4G Verizon. One of the reasons why I happen to believe high speed Internet is indeed infrastructure

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back