Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's come time to finally create this thread that I promised to do a while back. Been a member here on R2R for a while now but have only been lurking.

I currently have about a 220 litre system with the sump included in that. Display volume around 170 litres. It's a cube and my first ever marine setup. I took my time in building this setup last year as fund were and issue, but I made sure I did everything as best as I could and right the first time around.

Tank is custom built 60cm x 60cm x 48 cm (24 x 24 x 19) rimless with Herbie overflow.

I originally planned on doing a full SPS system but have fallen in love with my LPS corals so it's trending much more towards that style now lol.

Anyways here are some pic:

Picture of the stand when I was putting it together. Used 16mm fibreglass panels on the steel frame for the supporting plate.
IMG_20180115_164513.jpg

After a few months I finally made it to this point where I was basically ready to set it up and go! Stand had been powder coated, tank plumbed and equipment ready. Just needed my overflow comb.
IMG_20180527_171556.jpg

The day finally came when I filled her up, salted her up and turned everything on. One of the happiest and most excited days of my life!
16 June 2018
IMG_20180625_164900.jpg

And now basically 9 months later, I have a child, but not the one with two arms and legs that cries and screams but my beloved glass box.
P1030196.JPG

P1030198.JPG

You will notice I have no fish.....my final addition, a possum wrasse, brought in ICH and wiped my system out 2 months back so have been letting it run fallow for now. Lessons learnt.

If anyone has questions or suggestions please do voice yourself.

Glad to finally be a part of this amazing forum:D

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job using what you got. Like the steel stand. Like how you got the bottom open and the lights from tank and bottom are cool. Great job, looks healthy.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's come time to finally create this thread that I promised to do a while back. Been a member here on R2R for a while now but have only been lurking.

I currently have about a 220 litre system with the sump included in that. Display volume around 170 litres. It's a cube and my first ever marine setup. I took my time in building this setup last year as fund were and issue, but I made sure I did everything as best as I could and right the first time around.

Tank is custom built 60cm x 60cm x 48 cm (24 x 24 x 19) rimless with Herbie overflow.

I originally planned on doing a full SPS system but have fallen in love with my LPS corals so it's trending much more towards that style now lol.

Anyways here are some pic:

Picture of the stand when I was putting it together. Used 16mm fibreglass panels on the steel frame for the supporting plate.
IMG_20180115_164513.jpg

After a few months I finally made it to this point where I was basically ready to set it up and go! Stand had been powder coated, tank plumbed and equipment ready. Just needed my overflow comb.
IMG_20180527_171556.jpg

The day finally came when I filled her up, salted her up and turned everything on. One of the happiest and most excited days of my life!
16 June 2018
IMG_20180625_164900.jpg

And now basically 9 months later, I have a child, but not the one with two arms and legs that cries and screams but my beloved glass box.
P1030196.JPG

P1030198.JPG

You will notice I have no fish.....my final addition, a possum wrasse, brought in ICH and wiped my system out 2 months back so have been letting it run fallow for now. Lessons learnt.

If anyone has questions or suggestions please do voice yourself.

Glad to finally be a part of this amazing forum:D
Labor of love, thanks for sharing, comrade

OP
OP
Alemoki

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need to do a renovation on my overflow:(

This unfortunately requires me to remove everything from the tank into a holding tank while I replace the overflow. It's going to be a huge pain but needs to be done. We have a long weekend coming up soon which is when I'll probably do it.

Here's the holding tank. It's my decommissioned discus setup.
IMG_20190415_061302.jpg

IMG_20190415_061309.jpg

I also have my QT holding tank up and running now. Going to use this to hold my fish after TTM before being introduced into the main setup. So I will probably get some fish ready while I'm doing this tank fix
IMG_20190413_220917.jpg

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a big task. I unfortunately had the task of boiling my rock in my 90 gal in basement this weekend as it had an aiptasia infestation. And believe me I tried everything before that except the berghia nudibranch becaue they are very hard to get right now. I am working on getting some to breed. They will eat aiptasia however will not touch them if they are too big. I tried Kalkwasser and lemon juice and it seemed like I got them all but all you need is one to release the babies I guess and boom, I had 100 more and by that point it was impossible to remove by hand. Was a big messy job not to mention you loose beneficial organisms to this process as well.

I hope everything goes well for you and your fish!!!

OP
OP
Alemoki

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a big task. I unfortunately had the task of boiling my rock in my 90 gal in basement this weekend as it had an aiptasia infestation. And believe me I tried everything before that except the berghia nudibranch becaue they are very hard to get right now. I am working on getting some to breed. They will eat aiptasia however will not touch them if they are too big. I tried Kalkwasser and lemon juice and it seemed like I got them all but all you need is one to release the babies I guess and boom, I had 100 more and by that point it was impossible to remove by hand. Was a big messy job not to mention you loose beneficial organisms to this process as well.

I hope everything goes well for you and your fish!!!
Sounds awful mate. Makes what I'm about to do look like a walk in the park!:eek:

Hope everything is stable your side now man

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a big spike in ammonia and nitrate at first but constant water changes and a few tricks I learned kept it down and the water smell and parameters are back to normal. Thanks bro!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back