…and the diatoms are here

BiCoastal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello community.
I think these are diatoms but I thought I would get some confirmation from the experts here.
EC6DBB6A-2724-4F4F-8146-BA5BDF1A4F70.jpeg DE03C066-9E0B-4879-989D-EDEFA4ADE308.jpeg

the tank is redsea 425xl (about 90gallon dt)
Tested the nitrates (14) and phosphates (.05) today. Bio load is still minimal (2 clowns, one purple firefish and a CBB). Couple of test Zoas. It tanks is about 8 weeks old. The lights are 2x XR15 g5 which are still in acclimatization mode.

there is a skimmer and an algae scrubber on the system. Though the algae scrubber hasn’t really taken off yet(just a green layer, and mostly slimy algae)

I am not really planning on doing much, and wait it out. Maybe clean the substrate through siphoning?
What is the collective wisdom?

cheers.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
At that age I would agree diatoms. Are you using RODI?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Btw like you said. Diatoms are a natural part of a new tank and don't need any action as long as the water source is pure :)

OP
OP
B

BiCoastal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the confirmation. And yes, I use RODI water and tropic Marin salt. I am hoping it will go away on its own in a few weeks as the nutrients are not totally off (though the nitrates could be a bit lower).
I am going coral shopping soon but they will stay in the coral Qt tank for the next 6 weeks so I don’t mind a brownish main tank for the next 6 weeks :)

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the confirmation. And yes, I use RODI water and tropic Marin salt. I am hoping it will go away on its own in a few weeks as the nutrients are not totally off (though the nitrates could be a bit lower).
I am going coral shopping soon but they will stay in the coral Qt tank for the next 6 weeks so I don’t mind a brownish main tank for the next 6 weeks :)
Sounds like a good plan. Keep parameters stable and you should be good to go :) Best of luck again!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back