OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE (CUC for Fathead Refuge + WEB CAM) + (Restocked QT)

So I'm really enjoying the Sunburts FATHEAD Anthias Refuge. So are the FATHEADS.

They are still shy, but as soon as I walk away, they get going.

So I setup a WebCam to watch the Sunburst's.

We can watch the Camera from Our Kitchen Computer. Wife and Kids enjoy it too.

2021-02-25_Refuge-WebCam-2.jpg

I setup a old Tablet next to my Office Computer.

2021-02-25_Refuge-WebCam-1.jpg

To improve things I went to FS to get some CUC.

- Few blue legged hermits
- Two kinds of snails
- A Pepermint shrimp to take care of the Aptasia. (The aptasia doesn't grow in DT with the Copperband)
- A Cleaner Shrimp
- And a Strawberry Cucumber to keep the sand clean.

2021-02-26-FatHead-Refuge-CUC.jpg

While at the FS, I couldn't resist getting a Fish for my QT (which I didn't shut down yet).

2021-02-26_QT-Clown-Trigger.jpg

A beautiful juvenile CLOWN TRIGGER.

2021-02-26_QT-Clown-Trigger-2.jpg

2021-02-26_QT-Clown-Trigger-3.jpg

I know this fish isn't Ideal past the Juvenile stage since very Agressive. However I'll enjoy raising him for as long as I can. Maybe move him into a OLD 65 Gal Tank that collecting dust.

One more thing. I actually will have a ton of Live food for him. My SPS tank is loaded with austerina stars. I used to pluck them off then glass and toss them into sink. Now they will be Free Meals for the Clown Trigger.

This will keep me busy and my hands out of my SPS tank, since it's doing well, and my tinkering always messes things up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CYANO Fight UPDATE ( Stuborn Cyano 4 MONTHS and counting...)

I can't see to get rid of the Cyano 100%. Getting Close (Using Cyano Clean Bacteria, and Coral Snow Daily)
It keep coming back on the Rocks.
It is getting weaker each week, however I simply can't stand the Red ROCK look when it builds up.

Did a good Power Water-Jet Blast of Rocks today and put a Sock into the Sump.
Too difficult to siphon the Cyano off in all the nooks and crannies.

If the tank looked this good (Purple/Blue/Coraline Pink) all the time I'd be thrilled, but Cyano will creep back.

51034560601_1e44ce448d_h.jpg

The only positive thing I can think of is at Least Cyano doesn't damage corals.

Another Solution I've been thinking about is Go More BLUE LIGHTING (Less White).
It does Hide the Cyano, and possibly limit it's growth.
51034618361_c52910e6cb_h.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New *SPECIAL* CUC [ Harlequin Shrimp ]
JUST TO MANY ASTERINA STARFISH

After years of plucking Asterina's, their population just got way out of control.
Not sure if the Asterina's were causing any damage to the SPS Frags, but you never know.

I think they were so many that they were eatting the Coraline off my Rocks.

I may regret this since I've been 100% Macro Algae Free on the Rocks. That could have been the two Emerald Crabs who clean up the Macro.

This was QT or the Aclimation Tank.

And Tonights Transfer to the 110G SPS Tank. (With a view of the Asterina population at night)

I'll update how fast the Harlequin Works.
He's got his work cut out. I must have close to 500+ Asterina's, if not 1000 I can't see.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day after HARLEQUIN Shrimp added
[ ( ASTERIA STARFISH ) on the RUN !! ]
Weird

This is something I've never seen before.

Sure the Asterina Starfish would climb on the Glass, in flow areas, and usually at Night.

Today, the day after the Harlequin Shrimp was added, there were Tons of Asterina Starfish, up high on the glass (During Lights on). Like they sensed the Harlequin Shrimp Hunting them.

What is even more odd to support this theory, is lot of new Asterinia's, and they are very white colored versions of them. Possibly they were in darkness in the rockscape and didn't accumilate pigment. DId the Harlequin scare them out?

I wonder if the Starfish actually talk Chemical Signals to warn each other of a predator.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WallyB Get yourself one of these https://printed3d.parts/product/asterina-magnetic-scooper/ and scoop them all off the glass then put it down low where he can get to it :)
Thanks @Fudsey ,

Perfect. I got a 3D Printers few months ago. Always looking for something to make so it doesn't collect dust.

ACTUALLY I could use one of those to catch the Asterina's from my other tank and bring them over. PERFECT!! (NO need to worry about transfering him over)

For my 110G Tank that the shrimp is in, I just use my glass cleaner, and I swipe them off the glass, and they fall (SCREAMING) to the Pedator waiting for them below. Once they fall to the glass bottom they are slow to make their way back to the glass.
I do it at night since the Harlequin shrimp isn't to be seen during the day. He must have found a nice cave to sleep in.

I do worry if he is alive, however if he died all those fancy white bones would have floated out in the flow of my tank.

I am really curious if this Shrimp really works as fast as everyone has told me.

It's sound impossible, but already today there are less Asterina's on the Glass.
There must have been at least 500 in my tank yesterday.

How many can he eat in a sitting. You would think he would get big eatting all of them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HARLEQUIN SHRIMP (NIGHT TIME "Asterina Starfish" HUNT)

I will admit I was worried a bit all day about the Shrimp. I couldn't find him even looking with a Flashlight into every nook and cranny of the rocks.

However I came back after lights had been out for a while.

THERE HE WAS. Perfect Spot to Film him.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small Update (Harlequin Destroying Asterinia Population) & (SPS Finally GLOWING with Life)

The Asterina Starfish are being quickly depleted. Less and Less on Glass each Day. Harlequin will run out of food at this rate in a few weeks.

And my 110G SPS ONLY Tank for the First Time in probably 5+ years is doing really well.
Cyano continues, but who care when Corals are Coloring Up and actually accelerating with Growth.

I tried a Yellow SLR filter in front of my Samsung S10 Phone. Was shocked how well it takes photos.
My SLR can't take photos in blue light as well as my phone.

51093314862_a43e88949c_h.jpg

Now let's not have any accidents like in the past to mess up positive progress.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina Starfish Update ( Harlequin Shrimp hunting for strays )

I will certainly attest that Harlequin Shrimps are 100% effective for Asterina Starfish reduction/elimination.

He's been hunting and eatting all the Asterina's for a couple of months. I had ton's of Asteria's so the Harlequin has lasted this long without starving.

However there are very few Asterina Starfish left. Today I saw two on the glass, and hard to find any crawling on the rocks.

The Harlequin Shrimp has certainly fattened up/gotten bigger.

2021-05-26_HarlequinShrimp-s.jpg

It soon will be time to remove him and pass him to another reefer that can keep him well fed.

Too bad one can't keep such a beautifil specimen permantly.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS Tank Update (KNOCK on Wood!!)

I used to take close up photo's of my Tiny SPS Frags. It was the only way I knew they were growing, and those photos often were memories of what I had that died.

I've never been this far with my SPS tank. I'm at the point where I have mini SPS colonies starting all around.

I still have a lingering Cyano film on the rocks that won't go away 100%.
However I rather live with Cyano then have SPS dying. So I'm not fixing or changing anything.

Let's hope things continue along this positive trend.

With the boost in confidence, I added a couple new Frags. A ORA Pealberry,

and a very rare find SPS....

The Hard find sps is a Pappi Chulo. I got it from Reef Raft Canada a couple years ago. He sold out quickly.
2019-08-20_PapiChuloProgress.jpg

It did well and like all my sps it eventually died. I tried to get a replacement, but haven't seen any for sale at all.

This week I found a local reefer that just put up a Frag of the Papi for sale. Instanly I contacted him and bought a tiny 3/4 frag. I placed it in the Center of the Tank, hoping for it to become my Center Piece.

It's the bright red tiny piece on the white plug. Dead center of my rock scape.

51205013430_677e6d61f2_h.jpg

My Current Living SPS list is:

- Beach Bum Monti
- Kung Pao Monti
- Ultra Bonzai
- Forest Fire Digi
- Pink Cadillac
- Wolverine
- Sunset Acro
- Blueberry wine
- Red Planet
- Blazing Autum
- Rainbow Loom
- Princess Peach
- Blue Tort
- Sugar Lips
- Miyaggi Tort
- Scorpion Acro
- Green Bali Slimer
- Montipora Confusia
- Sunset Monti
- Ora Pealberry.
- Branching Caphraestra
- Papi Chulo
- Red Digi
- and a few others I can't remember names.

I'm terrified leaving home for more than a day, since that's usually when something goes wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harelquin Shrimp (Asterina Starfish Feeding Station) IDEA

I got an idea, since the Harelquin shrimp is having a hard time getting the remaining Asterina's.
They climb up on glass and he can't reach them.

So I made a small jar, with some drain holes on side. I run a airline tube from my tank, into the jar, with siphon driven water flow.

I pluck off the Asterina's off the glass and toss them into a Jar. He polished of a dozen Asterina's in a day.
I will run out soon at this rate.

I can also start removing Asterina's from my other tanks, when they climb up on the glass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin Shrimp ( Change of Plans ) A Better Home

I changed my mind about keeping the Harlequin Shrimp in a Jar.

Too nice of a specimen to keep hidden and out of view.

Going back to the SPS tank was not ideal. He couldn't climb around on rocks due to the high water flow.
Even on the Glass Bottom he struggled. I saw him loose grip and tumble around.

My kitchen mixed tank has barely any flow for the more gentle LPS corals.
The Tank also has a light Asterina Starfish population. The SPS tank is almost starfish free.

So I moved him over to the Kitchen 90 Gallon tank where whole family will get to enjoy his beauty.

So far so good, he loves his new tank, and 100% he is more mobile and safe.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Update with SPS Catalog

I haven't taken a photo and labelled my Frag in ages. I stopped doing that since SPS would die and the effort was a waste of time.

However things are very stable and even a recently bought Strawbery Shortcake is hanging in there alive for a few weeks, so things are just right.

51270099544_0de7c7c710_k.jpg

I don't have all the name of every SPS, but pretty close on the most of them.

With the growth nice and steady, it's becoming obvious I placed the frags a bit to close.

I can live with this kind of future problem. Much better than removing bleached SPS frags.

Last edited:

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank Update with SPS Catalog

I haven't taken a photo and labelled my Frag in ages. I stopped doing that since SPS would die and the effort was a waste of time.

However things are very stable and even a recently bought Strawbery Shortcake is hanging in there alive for a few weeks, so things are just right.

51266424477_c43fb25320_h.jpg

I don't have all the name of every SPS, but pretty close on the most of them.

With the growth nice and steady, it's becoming obvious I placed the frags a bit to close.

I can live with this kind of future problem. Much better than removing bleached SPS frags.
Like how you've got everything labeled. I guess my bigger question though is what did you use to take the picture? I'm usimg a Galaxy S20 with various filters and can't find a happy medium for the white and blue light settings. My full tank pictures all come out horrible!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like how you've got everything labeled. I guess my bigger question though is what did you use to take the picture? I'm usimg a Galaxy S20 with various filters and can't find a happy medium for the white and blue light settings. My full tank pictures all come out horrible!
Thanks for the compliment.

As far as photo's I haven't tried my Galaxy S10 for photos. I may try it and see what settings work.

I use an SLR Nikon Rebel. Stock lense, on an tripod.

But to get a good photo I do turn up my WHITES to 100% on my 1x Radion XR15 G4. My tank is mainly lit by T5's so it's quite blue using Mostly Blue Plus T5 Bulbs.

With my other Tank, I turn up my Kessil to 100% White Spectrum and 100% intensity. It should get you a good photo.
You need white light moreso than blues. When I take a 100% blue light shot, I put on a yellow filter from my SLR. It's not proper colors but does show Corals in a different light.

So getting more white light on tank and corals should work on a Galaxy or any phone.

And using Photoshop or any basic photo editor with a bit of control on color, brightness, contrast, etc makes a good photo into better photo. I usually edit while watching my tank (side by side), to get photo colors right. Not what looks best but what the tank actually looks like.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My First Ever, (Mini Colonies)

I've never gotten this far with my SPS tank including more than one SPS frag doing well.

Each of these SPS front runners started with a tiny frag on a plug.

51274301085_82d1911a3d_b.jpg

The colors are off in the photos, but I'm more looking at growth/encrustment, new limbs.

I'm starting to see the potential of each frag becoming a really nice colony some day.

For Folks who have Full size SPS colonies this is small stuff.

For me, it's a big achievement, after years of Flops.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back