OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK IS GLOWING nicely under Evening Blue-Lighting ( Difficult FTS )

This is the best I could do with Camera White Balance and Photo Shop.

2020-05-11_FTS-110G-NightGlow.jpg

Kind of a Different Perspective to see the Frags progressing.

Slightly different Camera setting.....(Glow Colors Match better, but too much Saturation)

2020-05-11_FTS-110G-NightGlow2.jpg

I need to get one of those Orange Filters for my SLR.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW HOBBY!!

Tank is Stable since More on AUTO PILOT
, and less to do when not Fixing or Breaking it (with changes or Additives)

So have time for a New Hobby. 100% Rookie on this one. Scared to plug it in till I read up or watch Lesson Videos.

2020-05-14_ENDER3Pro.jpg

Got a Used, Refurbished 3D Printer.

My Imagination is flowing. Tons of Ideas, and things to make, like Doser line clips, etc, etc, etc

Plus once I learn, might make a AquaMon "MINI" Single Tank Alk Monitor. Simple, Compact, Better!!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ONE MAN's (Tank Rescape Leftover's), is another man's (PacMan Insanity)....

So @tenurepro decided to Rescape his Tank after a Few Good Years of Spectacular SPS success.

Here is his rescape Video Update.

He called me up and ask if I wanted some leftovers from his PACMAN colony, which is WAS quite Spectacular.

THIS was his tank with the Pacman seen below.

2020-05-17_TenureProPacMan2.jpg

I first Added a Piece, and the rest were going to be Sacrificed in the Frag Tank.
But I couldn't sacrifice them all.

So I mounted a few More PACMANS. 6 in total.

2020-05-17-FTS-PacManCrazy-M.jpg

Bit Crazy, but looks great. Can always be pruned, if things get Crowded. (Easy SPS to prune since it doesn't encrust as much)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!! This ( TO ME ) Is Unreal ( I'm Used to Fastest STN in the Reef Hobby )

The Rainbow Loom Caught my Attention today.

So I checked a Past Photo...

2020-05-18_Rainbow-Loom-2weekProgress.jpg

I've never seen a Plug Encrust that Fast. ( NOT IN MY TANK !! )

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS TANK VIDEO (It's Been a while) About Time!!

A picture is worth a thousand words, a Video is even Better....

My video skills for Setting/Lighting are the Best, but gives you an idea of how things look and some Layout Depth.

ALSO seen in this Video, but not in last photo is two piece of @tenurepro 's Blue Tenius that he also gave me.
I was going to Chop the pieces up to use in the Frag Tank, but they look nice at the Back of Tankas Filler.

1 minute quick video.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Totally Different (NEVER BEFORE NOTICED) Tank View

I always sit at my Desk Chair, and look at the Tank. Take all my Photo's from there too.

Today, my Daughter needed some Chemistry help, so we worked on the Couch, other side of desk.

That's when I noticed, that Tank looks much better from there.

49921679696_70db93ce4c_o.jpg

Plus the Tank keeps getting noticebly beter each and every day. Hard to belive, not sure why either.

Here is the COUCH SIDE VIEW.

49921160463_cc5eeeb181_b.jpg

If these Frags keep their Color and Grow Up, I'll be in Hevean. I get giddy everytime I glance at the tank!!

This photo is From Below. Normally a Top Down Photo in my Tank didn't have this rich color.

What have I been doing SO Wrong all these years? (I'm doing nothing now. That must be the secret. NO-TOUCH)

I can SAY THIS......I DESERVE THIS AFTER so long of a wait. So many Failures. Never giving up!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice following
Welcome @Tom2090.
You came at the perfect moment.

This is What USED Happened to my Frags, for at least 3 year of Attempts. Even was happening 3 months ago.
2020-05-22_PastFrags.jpg

This show's only 1/2 or 1/3 of the past lessons learned. Maybe 1/4. I killed so many beautiful SPS!!

Sometimes Instant Death next day, or next week.
Sometimes Painfully Slow for months.
Sometimes They would good for a few weeks, and then Fade out to nothing.

Now the Tank SPS corals are Insanely Beautiful and Perfect. No more deaths, or problems.
Frags look better after I put them in MY TANK. From People that are Pro's and I always looked up to for their beautiful specimens.

I actually don't know why this is happening?
But I think it's Tank AGE, Stability like never before. AND maybe BACTERIA.
(and 100% for sure. No Additives!!!! Not one Drop)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIME TO MOVE ON... ( FRAG TANK Next ) DT is Stable on AutoPilot.

The SPS Tank is perfect. Nothing to do except..... Wait, Watch, and Pray, and Pray, and NO TOUCHING!!

The interesting Part is... Whatever it happening RIGHT in the SPS Tank is starting to Happen in the Frag Tank Too!!
This is due to the Fact that The Frag Tank get it's Water Change Water from the SPS Tank.
[[ 1.5 Gallons daily, so 25 Gal Tank means 6% Every Day ]]

There Frag Tank Follows the SPS TANK (even thought not directly connected [ie SUMP]).
The Bonus is nothing Nasty can make it back to the SPS TANK (from the Frag Tank)

I Put those PacMan Frag pieces into the Frag Tank, and nomally they would be dead by now.
But they look Great.

And I got something SPECIAL TODAY.

A rock from @tenurpro that he removed from his Tank (doing re-scape).

Rock has a Blue Tenius Colony, and some Blue Shrooms on it.

2020-05-22_FragTankGenisisII-2.jpg
'
Isn't the Rock a Beauty!!

Fits Very Nicely into the FRAG TANK. (Can't go into SPS DT, Too big and I refuse to add anything but SPS)

2020-05-22_FragTankGenisisII-1.jpg

The Frag Tank has become a mini 35 Gallon DT. It now needs attention.
GOOD MOTIVATION to finish up the Doser, since I Dose Manually by hand right now (which is Dangerous).

However I have a Different PROBLEM in the FRAG TANK

2020-05-22_FragTankGenisisII-3.jpg

Aptasia Everywhere!! (Copperband doesn't eat them. Or maybe only eats the Small ones)

So why not turn that into an ASSET

I ordered 4 of these!!

2020-05-22_FragTankGenisisII-4.jpg

They will WIPE OUT the Aptasia (like they did in SPS TANK), and if they Breed, why not start a Berghia Farm.....(Maybe sell them or trade for Frags)
THAT WILL MAKE THE FRAG TANK MORE INTERESTING.

Last edited:

Mini colony

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on aptasia i have raccoon butterflyfish he ate all aptasia on my dt tank and then started picking on my sps.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on aptasia i have raccoon butterflyfish he ate all aptasia on my dt tank and then started picking on my sps.
Sorry to hear about a Coral picker fish. I've had (reef Safe) Angels and removed them just for that reason.
I still have one Wanatabei Angel and he behaves.

What do you mean update?
My DT is clean after getting the Berghia (last time. Couple months ago). My Aptasia infestation started right after my Last Copperband Butterfly died. (Actually dissapeared)

I'm waiting to pick up 4 more Berghia's for my Frag Tank to Clean it up just a good.

All my Tank's have Copperband Butterfly's and they love Clams, Frozen, (won't touch Flake or Pellet Food).
The Copperbands never picked on my SPS, LPS, or any other Corals.
It seems they do eat Aptasia, but only the young spouts. Not the Larger Adult Aptasia.

Berghia's will eat Monster Aptasia. Within Days. That the only problem with Berghia. They need Aptasia to survive since that's all they eat (nothing else at all). 6-7 Days after All Aptasia is gone, they die of starvation.

Mini colony

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had any luck with copperband, last time i bought 2 and the next day they died. I'm trying to get some berghia and remove the bufterfly but no one is selling berghia around here even a lfs, i heard that berghia won't doing well in high flow tankl

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had any luck with copperband, last time i bought 2 and the next day they died. I'm trying to get some berghia and remove the bufterfly but no one is selling berghia around here even a lfs, i heard that berghia won't doing well in high flow tankl
#1) It could be true that Berghia don't do well in High Flow Tanks. They are EXTREMLY DELICATE. I almost killed the first one I tried to take out of a jar. I used tweezers and the slightest pinch and it disinegrated it's feather like tentacles. I then learned you should use a wide syringe to extract them with water, and then syringe them into your Tank.

On the other hand, they maybe CAN HANDLE FLOW. After all I put my berghia into my Sump and at least one made it to the display Tank. 100% saw him. The only way he could make it from Sump to Tank is Thru the return pump and thru plumbing, which is as High as Flow as you get. Plus he made it past the spinning impeller which is incredible!!!

#2) I only discovered Berghia last year. What I used and still use for Aptasia is APTASIA-X or even better JOE's Juice. It wipes out any Aptasia that you can reach with the syringe. Just turn off flow. Little squirt on any aptasia and they melt with 1 minutes. Then when all melted turn on flow. Not too much at time since it's acid and if you use too much do a water change. At least it kills the ones you see, NOT the one's you don't.

#3) Copperbands are hard to keep long term. More than a couple months, unless they learn to Eat.
However the key thing like all fish is proper acclimation. Slow drip and bringing temp up to match tank they are going into and keeping the temp stable during the drip. Once you get them past the acclimation... comes the next Challenge. Getting them to eat.
To have a better chance it's best to pick one in the Store that already eats, or at least is FAT.
Then you can train them to eat. I've trained at least 3 that wouldn't eat. Using Masttick Paste food stuck to a clam shell is almost 100% success (but take nerves and patience).
Once they eat MASSTICK then introduce Frozen food.
AGAIN. You should always get a FAT copperband so it gives you time to train them to Eat.
ALSO best to do this not in your TANK, but in a QT (WHich applies to all and any new fish)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Tom2090 ,

Here is another Solution for Aptasia. Just discovered this by chance since I need more Two Part from ESV.

https://www.esvaquarium.com/
Read the last line where is say this product can be used to Zap Aptasia just like Aptasia-X, but much cheaper.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about a Coral picker fish. I've had (reef Safe) Angels and removed them just for that reason.
I still have one Wanatabei Angel and he behaves.

What do you mean update?
My DT is clean after getting the Berghia (last time. Couple months ago). My Aptasia infestation started right after my Last Copperband Butterfly died. (Actually dissapeared)

I'm waiting to pick up 4 more Berghia's for my Frag Tank to Clean it up just a good.

All my Tank's have Copperband Butterfly's and they love Clams, Frozen, (won't touch Flake or Pellet Food).
The Copperbands never picked on my SPS, LPS, or any other Corals.
It seems they do eat Aptasia, but only the young spouts. Not the Larger Adult Aptasia.

Berghia's will eat Monster Aptasia. Within Days. That the only problem with Berghia. They need Aptasia to survive since that's all they eat (nothing else at all). 6-7 Days after All Aptasia is gone, they die of starvation.

My CB is very similar to yours, she will go crazy for the little ones but won’t touch any larger ones.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't Resist ( GETTING Another SSC) One Last Try.

The last one I bought was discounted, since not best looking health. I'll never do that again.

This one looks Fantastic, and not Wild but Grown in a Reef Aquarium.

2020-05-27_StrawBerryShortCakeFragBoxAquaCultured.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake is one of my Favorite SPS. Along with Ice FIre Enchinata, and JF Fox Flame.
I've have no success with Either.

It's putty/glue Achored down with a Ship Sized Anchor mount, so no chance of knock overs or falls.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth Every Penny (Flood Alarm)

Well I just got these about a month ago.......Already proved it's vaue....

I was filling up my Garbage Can from RO reservoir, when I got distracted, and forgot to come back...

2020-05-28_GarbageROOverflow.jpg

It started overflowing, very slowly, and the water made it way to the Sensor (located at a low point in basement)

2020-05-28_FloodSensor.jpg

I was outside by my son heard it. Didn't know what that horrible screech was, but I did.
Got there in time before less than a Gallon of water spilled.
Avoided a major Shop Vac cleanup, and soaked carpet!!

Might get a few more for laundry room, behind dishwasher, etc. Had leaks there in past.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back