★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like to me the NO3 is a bit on the high side for the low ALK you have. That has always caused issues in my tanks. Check your MAG is in a good range, as that may make is a little easier to stabilize/balance the ALK and CAL.
Totally Agree.
I finally (slowly) got my Alk to 7.5. Yeah I've been doing it too slowly, and lost patience (doing tiny dosing increases).
So I just did an extra 20ml on top of Dosing to bring up alk approx. 0.3 daily.
I will continue till I get to to about 7.8-8.0 range and stop. Slightly about 7.5 to give me room to drop.
I know the dosing is now at a point where Alk stays the same.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows everything going @WallyB ?
Funny you should ask.
And the timing couldn't be better.

I've been quiet, since I've been busy. I JUST FINISHED a project today, and dropped it off.

I wouldn't share this (it was a secret). Even Tenurepro hasn't see the design, till today (if he opened the box by now).

Tenurepro made me an offer a few weeks ago. He was looking for a Cheap Auto Top Up. I made a hack before. Simple one.
I had spare parts, and he was offering a Pink Cadilac as a trade.
I couldn't refuse.

But you know me. I got into the build, and thought, build something really good, with all the features I want into ATO for my Frag Tank.
I would make his, and then clone it.

That got me off on a Tangent, and I built probably the most feature Rich ATO on the planet. (Overkill, but really useful....Everything I want in a AutoTop up, plus ability to enhance for Kalk Mixing, etc).

All spare parts. I started with this.

42450412935_f1292bf76b_b.jpg

Ardiuno controller, and old Dosing Pump, etc.
For Case the bottom plastic is a Packing case for Car Headlight bulbs.
And the top left case is an IPOD Touch case packaging.

With some wiring, dremil work, and about 2+ weeks of intesive Software Coding, these parts became this.

42450412115_015157bd50_b.jpg

Yup, it pretty cool looking. 4 line LCD status display with Animations....plus more...
Multi Color Status LEDS. Has a Pizo Sound speaker, and plenty of Sensors, and pump switches.

Features like Snooze button (variable delay). Over Top up sensor. Time limits, and will monitor the level of your source water bucket.

I just deliver this Kit to Tenure pro a few hours ago.

43305572242_0a8bb5f6b1_b.jpg

ATO Works both on Optical Sensor, and/or float sensor, and EVEN a TEMP SENSOR for the Water Temp in your tank on the LCD display.

Tenure pro might do a Video of it running. He is good at that kind of stuff (plus grow SPS), and I hate doing videos, and in past couldn't grow sps.

I'll do a build thread if anyone wants to make one. Parts are cheap if you get from China (Aliexpress) but you wait weeks for delivery.
Wiring is not too bad, depend on how complex one wants it.

Most of the re-use value is the Code I wrote.
I spent a year writing code for Doser, so for ATO is was quick. I reused a lot of Custom Doser code (subsets, and some special ATO logic).
(Willing to share for the techies out there).

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's intense, probably the most ridiculous ATO I've ever seen! It just needs some nixie tubes above the LCD screen and you can sell it for $1200 easy :D

@mdbannister -- You'll like this ATO.

Also -- One day a thread on this, and a thread on your doser might be great. A doser that can be calibrated and doesn't start at $500 is what a lot of people are looking for. I definitely don't suggest you put that together now though, either thread sounds like a ton of work to write up and explain the build!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's intense, probably the most ridiculous ATO I've ever seen! It just needs some nixie tubes above the LCD screen and you can sell it for $1200 easy :D

@mdbannister -- You'll like this ATO.

Also -- One day a thread on this, and a thread on your doser might be great. A doser that can be calibrated and doesn't start at $500 is what a lot of people are looking for. I definitely don't suggest you put that together now though, either thread sounds like a ton of work to write up and explain the build!
Thank Rakie.
I am darn proud of this achievement.
Not only for the features, but it's Table Top Display Quality.

It wasn't the original plan.

My current ATO looks like this. No fancy features, but run's my frag tank with the two Angels.
BTW. The Angels tail is just about finished healing. Man that took a while to rebuild the chunk.
The fish are still separated, and once the tail fully heals they go into DT.

41545909080_823cf67fa6_z.jpg

The orignal plan was to make a copy of that simple hack.
Tenurepro even provided a Case (Tupperware container on left)

28485443507_c00905dda9_c.jpg

But I then found the Car Light Bulb Case, and I had one IPOD case from my kids.

Now I got to make a cool looking one for me too. I had to give away that beauty.

But I had no more IPOD cases. So I went to Apple Store.
I brought in my ATO with a Battery pack, and their CREATIVE agent loved it.
They took pictures, and were filming it running in the Apple Store on a counter.
Even customers in the Apple store were coming over asking if that's a New I-Alarm Clock. hillarious.

Apple gave me two more cases, and said I could get more if I need more.

But it's the software too. Runs on a Real Time Battery backed up Clock Module, for timing, just like my Doser.

LIke my doser which calibrates the pumps. This ATO has a calibration feature for the Temp sensor.

So on the display you get Status, Time, Tank Temp, and control features.

Wait till you see it run with the RGB Tri Color LED drilled into a acrylic bar. It's a light show that changes depending what it's doing, or alarming. Screen does animation.
I custom built special character for Animation, and custom sound.
Full menu system. To configure Max Top up limits. Custom Snooze so you can turn off ATO while working on tank, but it turns back on later (even if you forget....Which has happend to me many times)

Yeah, I outdid myself, but I'll get one too.
I really miss the ATO since it's gone, but a deal is a deal.

So Rakie, what kind of frags can you offer me?? Wink Wink.
First I have to build myself one.
......And the next one will be better, since I have 3 relays in there.
Two other PUMPS can do A/B dosing, or what about a TOP up that added KALK at a certain ratio to RO, and schedules the SUPER KALK mix to control PH, ALK, CALC.
But doesn't depend on Evaporation.
Crazy idea, but possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie,

Off topic, but the Wanatabei angel pair. Should I join them in the Frag tank by removing the divider?
Or that could be another fight in the small tank, and do the intro in the DT.
They have smelled and seen each other side by side for weeks. Just egg crate between them.

I am thinking DT join...., since another tail bite, and I start all over again.
Plus in DT there will be plenty of other fish distractions.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they may or may not fight in the DT. The guy from Cherry Fish (who did a few Macna talks on fish) says after about a month or two with a divider they work things out. You could remove the screen a day when you're in the room doing maintenance and keep an eye on them. If they're gonna fight, there will probably be some chasing within an hour or so. If they look good on a day when you've got a couple hours to keep an eye on them I'd probably put them in the DT after the divider trial.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie. This might help with the Transition to DT.

I cut out a hole in the Egg Crate DIVIDER, and put over a transparent mesh.

28500327797_2cc56ba6b2_b.jpg

I tell you they noticed the difference. Lots of pacing around and checking out the portal.

42653007164_c87d571159_c.jpg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely could help! They are probably close to ready, but every baby step towards the goal minimizes risk.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when I went to see the ATO for the first time, WallyB had jt covered with a towel under a spot light... man this must be awesome, I thought to my self.

Then he removed the cover.....
42e099827891d36468cff4469706a50d.jpg

;) WallyB has a great sense of humor!

Thanks Wally - still haven’t opened it but will do tomorrow!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tupperware case does have a Retro Look. Maybe you want it back.
I hope that the Pink Cadillac doesn't turn out to be an Apatasia on a Plug :(

Ooops. I thought you peeked at the ATO.
If you never opened the Box, you were not suppose to see the photos above with the Final Design.
Oh well, the best part is when you hook it up and turn it on. Photo's don't give that away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Update with Photo ( Carib Shape Arch back / New VCA RFG Nozzle )

The Caribsea Shape (ARCH) Rock has been soaking in a bucket for weeks. I wanted it back since I already messed up putting the Tubinaria in place.

I tried the Left Side of Tank, between the other two Islands, and to my surprise it came out better. Less Drastic, and allow the right Corner View Island to be independent.

I ALSO GOT the New VCA RFG 1" with LockLine Ball Joint. Much Better. Not as protruding, and angles better, so less bubbles from surface hits.

And while exchanging the VCA, AquarimDepot has a big sale on Corals.
Picked up a BIG STAGHORN SPS. Not the most pretty in the store, but I loved the size and shape.

Found a nice place for it, and it actaully look pretty decent. Blue tips.

So here is the New Tank Look with Arch and Frag Adjustment.

Photos are getting better since I gave up on T5 CoralPlus/BluePlus photography. Too blue.
I Swapped in a single AquablueSpecial in the middle JUST FOR PHOTOS.

BIG DIFFERENCE. Point and shoot, no touch up needed.

28546200227_29b97f9e21_h.jpg

Weird thing happened. My Algae bloom just vanished in a couple of days. Not complaining, but wondering why so fast. (The bottom of the tank was like a Grassy lawn) Now just glass and spot of Coraline.

The Frags are just some of my favourites. Nothing high End pricey, since I don't quite trust this tank YET. (Has a couple of RTN's happen on me). I think my nutrients are too low, or it was running Carbon.

The Pink Millie Colony is a donation from Tenurepro. Thanks dude.
It looks great after a few moves, I like it.

There is one Special Frag (Closest to front, below Copperband)....A Jason Fox Burning Banana)

Not the brightest photo's with a Single 39W T5 on, but at least colors are right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Reaction (SAVING Some Early Frags) Short Term Risk ( In Control from Past Experience)

So a few days ago, some of my original Frags were on serious Decline. (Already lost 3 frags a bit earlier)

My Forest Fire was almost nothing 3 days ago. ALMOST THREW IT OUT.

I first thought it was my lighting, but I trust nothing more than T5 Lighting.

The evidence was lack of something. Nutrients or Trace Elements or BOTH.
I already removed my most of my Carbon that I was Running (Chemi Pure packs), and will continue slowly till all 3 bags are out.

I've also started dosing a little bit of AquaForest Minerals (part 3). I have some left over, since I only used Part 1/2 (Alk/Calcium/Mag)

Did a couple of 10/15% water changes.

THAT HELPED A BIT with the newer frags.

So I tackled nutrients next. I couldn't put in the Angels quite yet (till the tail is 100% healed).

SO I STARTED FEEDING THE CORALS NIGHTLY two days ago. ( Tiny bit of Reef Roids, Coral Frenzy and a AquaForest Food).

That got me some SERIOUS RECOVERY or the declining Frag (and some real good response on the newer frags). Even the Forest Fire has PE coming back all over.

This is all risky to the TANK (over feeding), but I learned that lesson a couple years ago, and know the early signs.

I'll never forget what happened back then.

28594680107_a4b0c49e4d_b.jpg

GHA, just tons of it.
Had to tear down the tank and scrub everything to get things back to normal.
But it wasn't just the overfeeding last time......It was too much RED LED LIGHTS (plus 2x 250 MH lighting).

So this time I'm doing minimal feeding, till the damaged corals recover.

Hoping that the new 2 Larger Angels will go in and that will end the Coral Feeding.

Stay tuned.

Taking picture of the recovering frags to eventually show a full recovery
(I HOPE).

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never forget what happened back then.

28594680107_a4b0c49e4d_b.jpg

Yep. We have probably all had a tank like that. For me it was a freshwater tank and it was Black Beard Algae (thanks to tap water at 2ppm PO4). It recovered with a replant and heavy manual labor.

I love when people post pictures of bad times. Few are brave enough to do so.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. We have probably all had a tank like that. For me it was a freshwater tank and it was Black Beard Algae (thanks to tap water at 2ppm PO4). It recovered with a replant and heavy manual labor.

I love when people post pictures of bad times. Few are brave enough to do so.

tap water at 2ppm PO4 will do it.

I have no problem admitting/Sharing my past failures.

I actually did a thread ( on my major catastrophes over the years)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/90-gallon-mixed-lps-tank-15-year-journey-to-★success★-every-accident-disaster-problem.326397/

How in the world did the masters learn, to teach. Maybe not as bad my past, but you learn from mistakes.
I am very prepared!!

I actually built an DIY Contraption to attempt to POWER SCRUB the Alage off.
Brush and tweezers was taking hours a day.

The Gizmo worked as shown here during a Demo run. (Even made this Video as a product...Never bother to make more, but folks have copied the idea).

Things would have been fine, had I siphoned off into a bucket and tossed water.

but I made a DEADLY Mistake.

I needed more running time, so I drained the Siphon through a SOCK into SUMP.

THE Tip was liquefying the Algae so it enter my system (a lot passing through sock).
PURE Liquid Phosphates!!!!
My PO4 Spiked beyond any test kit. Frags started dropping like flies. Save some moving them out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One more thing I did during that Algae Outbreak.

I DID an Experiment.

Got every possible Clean up Crew Critter (Many snail types, and a SEA HARE TOO) and did a comparison which ones clean Green Hair Algae Best.

43434326652_0b170706f5_c.jpg

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2546249

Thread on results is above (did a time lapse photography them working on the Alage Clean up.)
Most never touched/ate the Algae...some did....One polished off rocks in a blink (but died quickly...They always do from what I recently hear)..
Can you guess who that was?

And from those Time Lapse videos came the Algae Wars Star Wars Parody movies that I posted Earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to read the thread, but decided to guess first. Sea Hare wins, Fighting Conch is my runner up.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to read the thread, but decided to guess first. Sea Hare wins, Fighting Conch is my runner up.
You got it right. Sea Hare.

Watch this short segment.
I would take out a rock ENCRUSTED in Algae.
He would polish it clean.

2nd place was the Cowrie.

I still have the Cowrie, but in Sump.

Learned that he likes SPS Polyps and LPS Flesh more than Alage!!!!
He Shaves/Kills corals in Seconds.

The Final Tank Algae Cleanup was Done by Trochus Snails.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back