★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VIDEO of the HELFRICHI Firefish

I can't get enough of the new fish. Such BEAUTY & GRACE. Packs so much punch for such a small specimen.

No regrets putting him into the Slower Lagoon Flow Kitchen Tank.

Everyone (kids and wife) that walk into the Kitchen, can't help but to STOP and stare. (me too).
Never before has a new fish gotten such a reaction.

Not the best video since (quickly done), but gives you an idea.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like when your Auto correct calls him a Firefire. It sounds like something a 3 year old would say lol.

He's getting a little pecked at though, you can tell by his fins.
Where I can't see FireFIRE anywhere. In the video?

Yeah, it's just the Clowns pecking at him. Only if he get's close to their Lair. The Trumpet.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good they're eating. Anthias like to eat as much as possible. If you can get them on some small pellets I would seriously consider feeding them 4-5x a day to help get their immune system going. Adding lipids and vitamins like Selcon, and Selco Boost (or the equivalent) help immensely as well.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to write this message for about 35 minutes now. I've deleted and rewritten it at least 4 times. So this time I'm just going to be painfully honest and to the point.

You are the problem.

Stop doing these things, and enjoy success;
- Phosguard
- Obsessive water changes
- Number chasing
- Testing N03/po4 (YES, don't even test, it's like a drug for number chasers)
- No swings of any single parameter at all (Alk, Cal, NO3, PO4 -- you name it, it shouldn't swing)

You're sabotaging yourself Wally. Everything was fine, then you started obsessing about numbers (which I've tried to stop you from doing before), and now you're getting issues. You are not the first person I've told to stop these things, and it always helps. You are artificially stopping your tank from maturing. You need to let it be alone and build up proper bacterias to take up nutrients. You need to trust me and 100% full stop these horrible habits.

I got you to start using fuel to help get things going, and it worked for you. You doubted it, but it helped. You need to trust that I'm seeing something you aren't.

Throw the phosguard away at the very, very, very, very least.

@Rakie please keep it up. I welcome this if I ever need it.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie please keep it up. I welcome this if I ever need it.
Sure @NY_Caveman. Let @Rakie beat up on me :(.
Just kidding. :)
It's this kind of wake up talk that puts us "On-The-Loose folks" back on track.
Thanks @Rakie, I need the odd slap on my itchy hands. Or at least to reflect...."DON'T FIX, if NOT BROKEN"

And on that thought. During my Phosphate Reduction attempt I did significantly Reduce Coral Feedings and Stopped Aminos.
Just two day have passed, after going back to Feeding/Aminos.......The PE is coming back, and a touch Color Enhancements.
I guess till my fish all grow up, and those 3 new Anthias go in.....This tank needs a bit of extra boost.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything I tell people is based on first hand experience of my own mistakes. You name it, I've done it wrong and learned a lesson from it.

Something my club president says that I identified with immediately was "beware of those unable to show the fruit of their labor" -- in that vein, you'll notice when I give advice it's almost guaranteed to come with a small story of how/when I had a similar or related issue.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANYONE INTERESTED in some FUN DYI Gizmo CREATIVITY AND DESIGN (Reef related)
( FEED MATE Gizmo ) Free to some willing Participant Designers

So here is the thought. Posting this here to get a pulse on interest. I Rather post on my thread (here) then in the DIY forum since I know most of you.

I enjoy my DIY projects, especially when they are practical and useful to me.
This latest Project the DIY (Feed Mate) Clock and Reminder has turned out for me quite useful. I actually watch it before deciding to feed my fish.

I got plenty of ideas, to make it better......However much more fun if other Real Reefer Users have some input and enjoyment.
NO WAY I WOULD make this offer for something like my Doser which costs plenty to make and tons of hours to put together.

But the FeedMate costs about $20 in parts, a couple of hours to build (or less), and most of the work is writing the Software (after this initial unit is built)

SO THE OFFER IS to few folks (sorry I can't do everyone), that want to participate.

I'll send you at No Cost one of these Units. A Fully working unit with the First Complete Set of Features. Then once in your hands, we THE TEAM can develop some other ideas.
I'll make the CODE changes, and put up the Newer Software on a web Site. You'll upload and instantly see the FeedMate working as re-designed.
We can do on the DIY thread or a group conversation.
Once something is working and worthy I'll update the DIY thread, and other folks can build one too.

Here is what the Gen 1 Of the FEED MATE Feeder looks like. (front & back)

44923705145_e1becafd1c.jpg
30896831827_81b0803d51.jpg

After some use, I'm already going with GEN 2 Model. Two Button model to make it more flexible.
A mini Sound Buzzer for some beeps, and Possibly one/two Ports on the back to do whatever. (eg. Push a button on your apex..whatever)

45855100411_e7c9dcc548.jpg

The FeedMATE Thread is BELOW if you missed it posted before. (THERE IS A VIDEO in that thread showing the concept working)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-mini-lcd-clock-feeder-minder-feeding-anthias-lower-or-raise-your-nutrients-n-p.497508/

Again. This is just something I am thinking about, and if interest is there, I'll do it.

I'm not doing this to start a company, make money, or make dozens of these. Just some good old DYI fun, and I know not everyone can do electronics, so posting DIY Instructions doesn't work.
I would find it gratifying to have some reefers out there enjoying something that I built first hand (sitting on your desk or next to your Tank)

No worries. It won't burn down your house, since it's low voltage (5volts)....Cound run on a battery for a few hours. Runs on a USB Charger forever.

Here are the key requirements to Participate:

1) Must have no expectations other than Fun. I will work on this as time permits. So patience is courtesy both ways.
2) Must have a Computer with USB PORT (Windows preferred). Not ChromeOS, but Mac is ok.
2) Need to be somewhat computer skilled to Install some software (with my instructions), click on mouse, and type in a notepad.
2) Must have a spare USB charger since that helps with my cost reduction. (will run on a USB phone charger Battery Pack too, for a week or more depending on size)
3) Willing to learn a few instruction on how to install the Loader Program, that will upload new Features we develop Together and I code.
4) Hope you don't live somewhere in the world where shipping will be expensive. (or # of folks participating get's reduced)....If too much COST to SHIP then I can't include you.
5) I'll discuss this later, but if I send this to you, your interest to participate my be genuine (on whatever spare time you have). Nothing expected in return....But promise not to give it away or sell it (Throwing out is fine)

If interested send me a message.

WHY AM I DOING THIS? As @Rakie said. I need to leave my tank alone, and possibly a project like this is just what I need. ( RAKIE Might be IN and is trying to setup his computer)

I have mixed thoughts on how this will go, but what the heck...let see if this is possible. (worst case is I'll just not do this)

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very generous Wally!

I think it looks fun, and you know I'm interested.

@revhtree -- If you have time I think you might enjoy this. Stuff like this is, IMHO, the core of what makes R2R what it is. Otherwise I think this is an exemplary build thread you might enjoy anyways!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANYONE INTERESTED in some FUN DYI Gizmo CREATIVITY AND DESIGN (Reef related)
( FEED MATE Gizmo ) Free to some willing Participant Designers

So here is the thought. Posting this here to get a pulse on interest. I Rather post on my thread (here) then in the DIY forum since I know most of you.

I enjoy my DIY projects, especially when they are practical and useful to me.
This latest Project the DIY (Feed Mate) Clock and Reminder has turned out for me quite useful. I actually watch it before deciding to feed my fish.

I got plenty of ideas, to make it better......However much more fun if other Real Reefer Users have some input and enjoyment.
NO WAY I WOULD make this offer for something like my Doser which costs plenty to make and tons of hours to put together.

But the FeedMate costs about $20 in parts, a couple of hours to build (or less), and most of the work is writing the Software (after this initial unit is built)

SO THE OFFER IS to few folks (sorry I can't do everyone), that want to participate.

I'll send you at No Cost one of these Units. A Fully working unit with the First Complete Set of Features. Then once in your hands, we THE TEAM can develop some other ideas.
I'll make the CODE changes, and put up the Newer Software on a web Site. You'll upload and instantly see the FeedMate working as re-designed.
We can do on the DIY thread or a group conversation.
Once something is working and worthy I'll update the DIY thread, and other folks can build one too.

Here is what the Gen 1 Of the FEED MATE Feeder looks like. (front & back)

44923705145_e1becafd1c.jpg
30896831827_81b0803d51.jpg

After some use, I'm already going with GEN 2 Model. Two Button model to make it more flexible.
A mini Sound Buzzer for some beeps, and Possibly one/two Ports on the back to do whatever. (eg. Push a button on your apex..whatever)

45855100411_e7c9dcc548.jpg

The FeedMATE Thread is BELOW if you missed it posted before. (THERE IS A VIDEO in that thread showing the concept working)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-mini-lcd-clock-feeder-minder-feeding-anthias-lower-or-raise-your-nutrients-n-p.497508/

Again. This is just something I am thinking about, and if interest is there, I'll do it.

I'm not doing this to start a company, make money, or make dozens of these. Just some good old DYI fun, and I know not everyone can do electronics, so posting DIY Instructions doesn't work.
I would find it gratifying to have some reefers out there enjoying something that I built first hand (sitting on your desk or next to your Tank)

No worries. It won't burn down your house, since it's low voltage (5volts)....Cound run on a battery for a few hours. Runs on a USB Charger forever.

Here are the key requirements to Participate:

1) Must have no expectations other than Fun. I will work on this as time permits. So patience is courtesy both ways.
2) Must have a Computer with USB PORT (Windows preferred). Not ChromeOS, but Mac is ok.
2) Need to be somewhat computer skilled to Install some software (with my instructions), click on mouse, and type in a notepad.
2) Must have a spare USB charger since that helps with my cost reduction.
3) Willing to learn a few instruction on how to install the Loader Program, that will upload new Features we develop Together and I code.
4) Hope you don't live somewhere in the world where shipping will be expensive. (or # of folks participating get's reduced)....If too much COST to SHIP then I can't include you.
5) I'll discuss this later, but if I send this to you, your interest to participate my be genuine (on whatever spare time you have). Nothing expected in return....But promise not to give it away or sell it (Throwing out is fine)

If interested send me a message.

WHY AM I DOING THIS? As @Rakie said. I need to leave my tank alone, and possibly a project like this is just what I need. ( RAKIE Might be IN and is trying to setup his computer)

I have mixed thoughts on how this will go, but what the heck...let see if this is possible. (worst case is I'll just not do this)

Great idea.

I have to say though, I cannot help but picture all of your little fishies staring at the clock waiting for the next feeding. LOL.

CAE9562C-BDD4-4917-AD24-6C1E7495FACA.jpeg

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea.

I have to say though, I cannot help but picture all of your little fishies staring at the clock waiting for the next feeding. LOL.

CAE9562C-BDD4-4917-AD24-6C1E7495FACA.jpeg
So @NY_Caveman are you in. Perfect way to teach your daughters to feed your tank while you are away.
If you are in, it leave just one more spot. 2-3 people max. (not sure if you have the time or will, but I'm sure you have the skill)

And as far a my fish getting trained on the FeedMate......I got that covered by another GIZMO I Made.

My mini Bar Fridge is across the room from the Office and Tank.
I kept leaving the door open, and ruining food and having it defrost when not fully close. (spilling water while de-icing on the floor).

It kept happening over and over, since my teen also store their soda pop in there.

44943042085_bb55260df2_z.jpg

I glue gunned a tiny red switch on the door. If door is even slightly open, it turns on the Battery Powered bicycle light on the Shelf.
Now I or family never leave door open.

Fish see me going to the fridge for Frozen/Thawed Brine Shrimp.....
Door opens. Light goes on and it points at the tank.
They always know it's Frozen feeding time. They wait for me to come.
Feel sorry for then when it's kids getting pop.

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! My fish are slightly trained too.. Whenever I come back in the room all the fish are begging at the top of the tank and excited to see me. BUT, if I don't have the jar and pipette in my hand they all sink down to the bottom and sulk for a moment. When they see the food mixture though they all rush the front glass and anxiously watch me.

This is why I refer to myself as the food monster from the fish' point of view.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am in. Been a while since I had an electronics project so this will be fun.
Ok. YOu are in. I reached out to another poster on the DIY thread who was already participating ideas.
Once he confirms, that will be a good started group.
I'll send you some info via conversation to get your started.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back