★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CAVEMAN,

No "F".

One ;Dead Bad Guess

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's refresh the Challenge (since Thread page switched) for any newcomers....

What's in the Dripper that I brou
ght home from the Fish Store.

40650864010_23ccd8ef44.jpg

Clue: (Two Fish....A Reef Safe Specimen...Docile....To me quite beautiful...Right now both in QT and I'm amazed how peaceful these fish are)

So far the GAMEBOARD is as below.
28595375498_2ce5172a95.jpg

GAME RULES:

-> Pick a Letter or Guess the Solution.

(No partial guessing, you must STATE the whole Solution)
-> 3 wrongs, and you don't get more chances till someone else tries.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. JUST TERRIBLE!

Can I guess a vowel? “E”

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll play. could I have a "G" please Wally?

Is this a scientific name or common name?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Game Paused for tonight...Sorry...(got to get some winks...so I can check out the NEW FISH in QT in the morning..Oh, and work too....but I work from home...)
I'll update board if there are any guesses or Letters Picked.
Take care.
Wally

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it and it is a beautiful fish. I see why you got both. They are both so differently beautiful I could not pick one sex. Nice job!

Not going to give it away.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it and it is a beautiful fish. I see why you got both. They are both so differently beautiful I could not pick one sex. Nice job!

Not going to give it away.
Congrats Caveman. I'm pretty sure you got it from your comment/description.

I'll give away the Vowels for now, and later Today, I'll post a picture of them in QT.

28603681218_da11a82e6c_o.jpg

They are doing good so far. EATING (which is important at this point)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a CLUE to SOLVE the Puzzle.

Here they are in QT (Tough to get a Good Photo of Both at same time)

41758319754_6f1b050571_z.jpg

A Better Photo (When I had them in DRIP TUB)

41758319354_f0b9fdcf90_b.jpg

Really Special (A Pair make a big difference to me...Once I had Clown Pair and they were special too, but somehow this is unique).

Hope they do well in QT.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. They are tiny and absolutely beautiful. I love you did not replace with the same tang but found something equally enjoyable.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. They are tiny and absolutely beautiful. I love you did not replace with the same tang but found something equally enjoyable.
yeah. I have a Spotbreast Angel. He was moved to my kitchen tank (during new build) since I needed a big Fish up there. He was way nicer when younger (in a cute way) , so these young ones are probably the same. Lucky I got them. I figure they just are finishing or have finished transformation from Juvenile.

And a young PAIR, Even better!!! Couldn't be happier. My Son was also impressed and he usually doesn't care much about my fish.

The QT is muggy and low light. Can't wait to see them in the crystal clear, bright DT.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BACK to Serious Business (Anthias QT#2 [Odd Ball #4 Dies] , Transfering (Anthias QT#1 to QT #2)

So that Odd Ball Anthias that I thought was dead, kept Living, but he wasn't like the rest.

I noticed a red Mark (even while alive)

When I pulled him out dead this is the RED MARK, it got Bigger (What is it? Organ Damage?)

41583665935_2c5c1a5d41_o.jpg

Now with only 3 Anthias in QT #2,
I'm moving the Single Anthias Over.

-> I brought up the 1.018 Salinty QT #2 up to 1.024 over last few days.
-> And now I'm dripping the Single Anthias down from 1.025 to 1.024 as he comes over.

41763597554_ae0e744dd7.jpg

Then during the duration of the Anthias QT I'll bring it up to 1.025 and they will be ready (to be Dripped one more time before Going into DT.

I'll hopefully have 4 Anthias Left (Which will end up with 1 Male and 3 Females)

I hate the QT process, but better than having to deal with issues in DT. One reason I wanted to get all my Fish Hunting over with and done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing (Decision Time) ESV [2 Part] or AquaForest [3 Part]

This is the DIY Ardiuno Dosing Station. The Controller also Does my Auto Water Changes (Two Bin system, which I may convert into 1 Bin, with a nearby Drain)

27616340487_cc0fe19a86.jpg

From my old 65 Gallon Setup I was going to start using AquaForest, but due to issues, (The Contamination of Tank, and that I had High Mag), I didn't use it.
Aquaforest combines their MAG into one of the 2 Parts, while the 3rd Part is Mineral Salt. (That Make Controlling MAG offsets a Challenge)

I used ESV on my OLD SPS Tank and have for years on my Kitchen Tank (Used to make my on Two Part [Randy's Receipe] but got Lazy.

So I am heavily Leaning on going ESV-2 Part (for Control, and Trusted/Proven), but I'd like to use up the AquaForest (maybe I'll try it on my Kitchen Tank...Or just Sell it *Brand New, Unopened*)

Anyone out there with an Opinion/Experience on AquaForest?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke to a guy who QT's fish for a Living.

His opinion is this is Anthias Death (Red Spot) a Bacterial Thing. Contained to a weaker fish.

Furan is the way to go. to eradicate the Bacteria from QT....I may be fine.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias Update (SIGNIFICANT Behavior Change: Positive)

So All 4 Anthias are Looking Good, including the Newbie which has been accepted by the original Threesome.

What's interesting is the whole QT behavior has change after the Sick/Injured/Dead Anthias was removed.

They are all out and about , instead of hanging around in the Cave with the Sick Anthias.
(NOT IN THE ROCK CAVE AT ALL) He may have been bumming them out since they stick together.

As I posted on another thread, that dead Anthias could have sustained Injury (either from Netting Process at Store, or constantly being Crammed into the Rock Nook).

HERE IS his Other Side.

28624021198_21eed68980_z.jpg

No red mark or BRUISE.

Still best to lean on the side of Caution, I will treat QT for Bacteria with the Furan.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey W -.....this fun little trick to 'extend' your rock-work

I kind of did that, but would only put putty under the cut off plug.

Making a mould with Putty flush is way better. When it encrusts you won't get that Donut Ring Lump, and when encrusting extends to the rock. Flush again.

Simple, but brilliant.

Hey!! Is that the Frag you were going to give me :)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias were Eating Like Sloppy Pigglets, NOW EATTING like Hungry PIGS (A little Flow, a Little Pipette Squirt)

They are Eating Endlessly, but wasting a bit of Food since they like to Chase, or like in nature eat drifting Food.

I didn't like food polluting the Small 10 Gal QT

This helped. (Rakie's Multi-Use- Pipette-Idea, and Carl the QT Man's Flow-a-Food-a-Rator)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINAL TANK (PAR NUMBERS) New Fixture Height (8")
Good Range (with Dimming for Ramp- up/Ramp-Down) Bulb Life Extended

Quantum Meter Goes back tomorrow, so I played with Fixture Height and Various Setting Measurements.

8" is WAY Better than 12" for Fixture Height ABOVE WATER.

42456519952_4d0e11def4_b.jpg

Basically The Middle of the TANK readings Shows it all (RED ARROW).

-> At 12" I got all the YELLOW readings. (Not the best for Light Demanding Acro's in some Rock Areas)

-> At Lower 8" I get a Nice boost to Bottom of the TANK (This will be SPS only, so 280 is great)

-> At I have some Wiggle room to Dim the 4 Dimmable T5's (ie. I can STILL get Good Pars at 50% Dimmed, which extends the T5 Bulb Life)

-> The Pink Reading, is important to me, since I am currently using a PURPLE PLUS Dimmable T5 (39W) BULB
------------> I won't be Running Long PHoto Period with Too Much RED SPECTRUM. (Causes ALGAE) )

SO in a NUTSHELL SUMMARY: Most of the PHOTO PERIOD (Mid Tank=Rock Peaks) PAR=370 (when [6 Main T5's are at 100%] )

I can Trim the 370 Number with Dimming as I figure out my Coral needs, or as the GROW and REACH UP to the Top of the TANK.

** Without Raising or Lowering the Fixture (and keeping Photo Period Same/IDEAL for Best Viewing Period ) **

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 163 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.0%
Back