★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WallyB

How many sunset anthias are you keeping? Did you quarantine them? What tips or experiences do you have or can you offer as I’m thinking about trio in the future

Thanks

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WallyB

How many sunset anthias are you keeping? Did you quarantine them? What tips or experiences do you have or can you offer as I’m thinking about trio in the future

Thanks
I only have one. Kind of regret not getting more when the Store had a few.

That was a while back, and how I QT'ed him is somewhere in this Thread. So I did QT him, and ensure he was eating and healthy before going into DT.

However I do remember that getting only two won't work. Since something about them killing each other rings a bell. Or was it a Female/Male thing.
I do remember needing to get 3 for it to work. Read up on it....

I didn't have much an issue in QT. He didn't get any disease. Was a little picky eater, but Hilkari Frozen Brine with Spirulina is what I trained him on.
Once in DT he ate well, but at some point when I introduce more fish he appeared to stop eating.
He will chase food, but not eat. Yet it could be deceiving, since he continue to be healthy and does chase food so is hungry, and that has been months.

Great Fish. Very peaceful and get along with others, yet considering his size he is a wimp when it come to other fish pushing him around.

Beautiful Fish too. He is my Single Sunburst....

45822742034_5b10afbc3e_c.jpg

46546573261_b5861d3bd8_b.jpg

So in a nutshell. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FISH. And after so many Anthias Headaches, the Sunburst care was a breeze!!

3 Would be amazing. All the best.

Last edited:

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
onder if @Floyd R Turbo is Still Stalking this thread, and has an opinion about Trace Element Consumption and ATS?
Still stalking. I did have a discussion with someone a while back about a very little known technique that might be considered trace element replacement. It's rather unconventional, one of those "why in the earth would anyone ever do that" type of thing, but apparently it actually works on many levels. I would not recommend it quite yet, but basically it involves taking a out a shot glass worth of Miracle Mud (mixed up in water) and dumping it over your return pump intake and letting it blow around your tank.

Sounds crazy....but apparently it's not. In similar fashion to the nano-bubbles controversy, I expect this technique to start coming into discussion in 2019 and raising eyebrows as well as ruffling some feathers.

I also hear that Bryan Farrish (Santa Monica) is working on something to dose that is likely trace-related, something to do with helping balance out the specific nutrients that are depleted by an algae scrubber in order to prevent or reduce slime growth, growth reversal, etc.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Turbo for the reply. Happy New Year.

So you are semi-confirming that growing Algae in Sump (aggressively) does consume Trace Elements. It could be an Algae Scrubber, or just growing Cheato in ones refuge.

That kind of confirms what I've been noticing, since it appears as I do water changes, there is improvement in my SPS. Kind of a spike in growth/color and then it fades till next water change.

The big question is what does Hair Algae/Macro Algae consume as far and Elements are concerned.

I actually have an ICP test that I've been delaying to use on this new tank setup, and maybe it would be a good time to send in a test after some Macro Growth, and just before Water change.

Regardless of that. There are many ways to replenish Major Elements/Trace Elements. Water changes is one.....
..... and dosing of product like I do for ALK/CALC/MAG which also contain some Trace Elements in the EVS B-Ionic TWO-PART Product I use. (In the case of ESV...I'm sure they designed the Element Levels to replenish what the Corals Consume, in a ratio of ALK/CALC/MAG consumption......NOT WHAT IS BEING STRIPPED off my Algae, and other filtration mean like Skimmer)

Another product I have on my shelf is Seachem Fuel. Which I use in my Other LPS tank (where I don't do water change as often....and it certainly help Noticebly).

Yet as Rakie boasts.....A product like Coral Essential line could Also be beneficial (Element Replenish). Other product like Triton Method similar.

IN the meantime, as I posted, I am reducing my ATS Photo Period, to slow down the Macro Algae growth as Tank is quite Algae Free. Will watch closely and bring up if needed.

So I think the question I will pursue is what is being depleted, and the ICP test should answer that quite clearly.

Last edited:

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are semi-confirming that growing Algae in Sump (aggressively) does consume Trace Elements. It could be an Algae Scrubber, or just growing Cheato in ones refuge.
The anecdotal evidence does support that. There's probably some data out there, but as it relates to the more modern versions of the Algae Scrubber on closed marine systems...I don't believe there's really been much study on this narrow band.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anecdotal evidence does support that. There's probably some data out there, but as it relates to the more modern versions of the Algae Scrubber on closed marine systems...I don't believe there's really been much study on this narrow band.
Narrow Band? All most of us care about is Marine Reef Tanks, which are All Closed Systems.

If not much data our there. I'll do the best I can with my Setup and ICP tests.
At least enough to reap the benefits of running a ATS and whatever minor dosing is required to keep Major & Minor Elements at good levels (compensation offset)

It shouldn't be difficult, since I'm not one of the folks who never want to do Water Changes ever.
For me Water changes: Mininumum 2.5-5% every two weeks, Max every week, but I will consider daily since I have the automation to do so.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS TANK ( 2019 JAN 1st) Reference Photo ** HAPPY NEW YEAR **

46513555832_4283d832c1_h.jpg

Nothing special happening, just Easier to Remember Jan 1st.
I did add a new LED Lighting System (just for photography), and if it works out more.

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the cornerstone of triton method.

This information has long been confirmed as far as I know, it is not anecdote. Algaes consume elements. All life forms require elements to some degree. The only things that don't aren't considered living life forms, like viruses

Last edited:

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Narrow Band? All most of us care about is Marine Reef Tanks, which are All Closed Systems.
What I mean is in the grand scope of all thing scientific, there's not a whole lot of people who specifically study reef aquariums in places like universities and such. The studies folow the money.

That is the cornerstone of triton method.

This information has long been confirmed as far as I know, it is not anecdote. Algaes consume elements. All life forms require elements to some degree.
Agreed. I'll admit that I don't spend a lot of time researching data (mainly because I don't have the time) but I would bet that whatever research that is out there is held as proprietary. Companies like Triton do internal studies and then develop methods, but they don't release that information directly to the public...or else everyone would be able to make their own formulations. Granted that the Triton method uses very specific methodology. A few of us in the industry have tried reaching out to them to see if they are interested in pairing up their method with the Algae Scrubber method, thus far as far as I have heard we have all been met with a wall of silence. That tells me something...they are not interested in sharing the background that they have built their methodology upon, and I'm not blaming them...just what it is.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mean is in the grand scope of all thing scientific, there's not a whole lot of people who specifically study reef aquariums in places like universities and such. The studies folow the money.

Agreed. I'll admit that I don't spend a lot of time researching data (mainly because I don't have the time) but I would bet that whatever research that is out there is held as proprietary. Companies like Triton do internal studies and then develop methods, but they don't release that information directly to the public...or else everyone would be able to make their own formulations. Granted that the Triton method uses very specific methodology. A few of us in the industry have tried reaching out to them to see if they are interested in pairing up their method with the Algae Scrubber method, thus far as far as I have heard we have all been met with a wall of silence. That tells me something...they are not interested in sharing the background that they have built their methodology upon, and I'm not blaming them...just what it is.
Understood.
I never looked into Triton Method, but have used the ICP test once....Long time ago.

Like all aspects of Closed System Marine Tanks......EACH OF OUR TANKS are different.

So running my ATS on my TANK, and doing a ICP test/POSSIBLY TWO TESTS will show current Element Consumption. (NOT Just the Algae Scrubber, but other things as well...eg Coral load, skimmer efficiency...etc).

Then whatever Triton Formulation (dosages of products) they recommend should work for me.

I may consider the Trition Method, since guessing with other products isn't scientific forumulation. And getting personal test kits for every element is not practical.

The alternative is simply doing DAILY (Super-Small) or WEEKLY (medium) Water Changes. May not be perfect, but close. For short term on Frags, it should be fine. Larger colonies would be more challenging.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is coral essentials going?
Watching closely.

There appeared to be a big improvement in the first few days.
Now it's hard to tell since improvement is more gradual. I would say that PE seems to be also improving.

Should be able to see impact from Photo compares in a week or so.

Most important is nothing has gotten worse, including (NO Cyano return, or any kind of nuisance Algae, etc)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is coral essentials going?

Like I said, it will take a little longer to show Coral Essential Results (long term).

However here is one example as things are now. The Miyagi Tort.

I personally haven't see these kind of colors in my Tank Ever (the mix of Blues, Purples and Greens)

45864982784_dab22cff7f_z.jpg

I just turned on lights for photo, so the PE isn't out yet. PE happens later in the day when full lighting comes on.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Dedication Avatar (Temporary).

Changed my Avatar to a nice photo of the Just Killed Mandarin.

2019-01-05_AvatarR2R.jpg

Small dedication to his memory.

But the other reason is when I PhotoShopped the Christmas ELF Hat, onto my Wallaby Avatar, I overwrote the Original. (Duh!!)

I'll find another Avatar Shortly.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mandarin deserves the avatar.

The miyagi has great colours.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BIG UPDATE (( ICP Test , Water Param Tuning, DT Moni/Birdnest Adjustments AND FRAG TANK ))

Part 1

I know @Rakie is going to be upset at me for messing around with my Tank Again.

I can't help it, I'm addicted to making improvements.

However, it kind of started, and I'll politely blame (give Credit) @Sierra_Bravo for his bit of Insight into Coral Placement and Encrusting Monti's problem (PART 2).

No worries this is ALL MY DOING, and I accept any consequences...

FIRST THE WATER Ajustments.

2019-01-05_BigUpdate-ICP-K-Mag-NP.jpg

-> I took a Sample of Water to Send in for an ICP test
---------> Sample was taken BEFORE WATER CHANGE, and After a Week of Algae Scrubber Running Full Tilt.
---------> I did all the water parameter tests, and will be able to compare results from ICP.

Salinity=1.027 (35)
ALK=7.9
CALC=480
MAG=1300
K=370
P=0.29
N=25

So based on these results, my Goal is to "SLOWLY"....I repeat SLOWLY...... Bring up MAG to 1350, and K to 400

And for P I took off my PHOSGUARD Reactor since it hasn't been doing much for me. Media expires too quickly, and I don't like the P Swings.

NEW APPROACH for N&P will be (Gentle & Stable) and Similar to the ChemiClean Biological Method I used to get Rid of Cyano.
--> Starting AquaForest PRO-BIO-S & -NP pro

Nothing too risky here....but all changes are risky to some degree.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BIG UPDATE (( DT Moni/Birdnest Adjustments AND FRAG TANK ))

Part 2

As I mentioned @Sierra_Bravo posted on his thread some insight into How Encrusting Monti's can't become a problem in long run.
His tank is a few months ahead of my in General. He put in a Tiny Plug sized Monti, and now it's about the size of a Large Softball or even bigger.

So I removed/moved the Monti's I have in bad locations (too close to Premium Acros). To better more controllable/isolated locations.

And while hands in tank, I tackled the CENTER PIECE Bonape Birdnest that got damaged a while ago. Edges fine, but Center rotting.
CHOPPED it up and got a nice full height pierce to put back in Tank.

So with that Premium Center Location, got a replacement. A Strawberry Shortcake.

45709634165_b583abdd08_h.jpg

Of course, I couldn't come home with just One Frag :)....But only one more....A Nice Tenuis Frag since I don't have any Tenuis SPS in my Tank.

And the Removals, and Chopped up Bonape Birdnest has made my FRAG Tank just a little bit more fun.
2019-01-05_FragTank-BonapeChop.jpg

Good for experimentation and if things go well, some trade in credit at LFS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TOP DOWN (PHOTO Lighting TRICK) Video Camera FLOOD LED Light

I was taking a few photo's and this Photo of RED PLANET made me think (THERE MUST BE BETTER COLORS FROM TOP View)

2019-01-06_RedPlanet-Small.jpg

With my T5 Blue Light Setup, Shooting on Top is Tough. Reflections and Too much Blue.

So I dug out my OLD LED FLOODLIGHT from my Acient video Camera. Put my Camera into my DIY BOX VIEVER.

2019-01-06_CameraFloodLight.jpg

And got these Few Sample TOP DOWN SHOTs (without moving or Adjusting my T5 Fixture)

No Photo Shopping needed for Blue Adjustments at all (WHITE LEDS' from Floodlight shoot Natural Colors)...Small Adjustment needed for Brightness, but also played with Floodlight Dim Control.

32765206908_9c4239d207_o.jpg

Made me realize I have MORE PE than I can see from Side View.

Also noticed that little Bubble Algae Patch (bottom Left SPS). Removed it a month ago, and it came back in same spot. Only Spot.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back