★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE (CO2 Scrubber) T-connector IMPROVEMENT (Experiment PART 2)

I couldn't watch the Soda-Lime Burn away like that. Figured it was CO2 Levels in the House. (Low, but not as good as Fresh Air)

2019-02-06_CO2ScrubberTconnectFreshAir.jpg

As soon as I hooked up Fresh Air to CO2 Scrubber, I saw PH at the Skimmer Area in Sump Jump. (This must mean CO2 Scrubber OUTPUTING more Oxygen)

It will take time for Tank to Soak and catch up.

Getting close to the AUTO Switch CUT OFF POINT. (might even happen tonight)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go neon gobies go!

Almost there. Couple of more hours till MIDNIGHT.

We just Started the ( TTM #2 GRADUATION ) OVERFEED PARTY.

2019-02-06_GobiesTTM-OverFeedParty.jpg

Tank is going to be drained and sterilized, so who cares about polluting it.

GOBIES get a great last BIG meal (every food I have), before the Transfer, and have to deal with some acclimation adjustment to new TANK.

But they will enjoy getting back the Medieval Castle and the Mountain which they missed after Last Transfer.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One SPS Growth Photo (PACMAN)

It's painfully slow watching (new Little FRAGS Grow), especially the ones you like.

.....What I see is it takes time before things speed up. My Oldest Frags are living proof (THAT I NEED TO be PATIENT).

I guess depending on Species, MIMIMUM (9-12 Month Wait) Before things get interesting.

46294951854_99c1c50e53_b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 Scrubber Update (Auto Valve Kicks in at PH=0.12) PH goes Flat

I watch the Valve kick in at PH=0.12, It worked as programmed.
PH would have continued slightly higher without Valve.

Wonder what will happen next when PH normally drops overnight. (which will Trigger Valve to OPEN)

2019-02-07_CO2ScrubberFreshAirAutoValvePHswitch.jpg

To me the RESULT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE (
since it would take time for TANK PH to Change, once CO2 Scrubber Switched to Fresh Air (Coincidental PEAK?)

Regardless, when the Switch Happened (Media isn't being used up).

This is all experimental fun. for PH Control Automation
(I am already preparing the KALK Reactor....First Test LPS TANK)

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's painfully slow watching (new Little FRAGS Grow), especially they ones you like.

.....What I see is it takes time before things speed up. My Oldest Frags are living proof.

I guess depending on Species, MIMIMUM (9-12 Month Wait) Before things get interesting.

Most of my SPS are still just encrusting after 4 months. And encrusting like crazy. I love it though. I see it as strengthening for future mega growth.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8F366925-B68D-4F5D-A531-31C688FE427A.jpeg

FBF2A8FB-8039-4C87-A370-DF4CA779FE9B.jpeg

81D33F06-A162-42E4-AF25-05636101324F.jpeg

Those first two are almost two inch diameter circles of encrusting.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KALK REACTOR (Installed) For (No-Kalk) TESTING

I finally got the Kalk Reactor rebuilt/cleaned up. AND INSTALLED for testing.

32081620627_030fcc35b9_b.jpg

Right now it's just running as a (PassThru) RO Top-UP for my LPS tank. (NO KALK added).

Ensuring Faultless operation, No-Leaks, Balanced Pressurization, No-Reverse-CheckValve, etc

Location allows me to run on LPS Tank or SPS TANK. (NOT BOTH)

I can continue TOP UP normally and Add Kalk by Dripping (need to hook in one of my Spare Dosing heads), or do Kalk Top-Up.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is 4 month Encrusting, then you are doing Amazing.

Ha! Thanks. It is all them. For some reason, despite a few issues with soft corals and LPS, SPS love my tank.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANOTHER WAKE UP CALL ( Coral Feeding & OverFiltration )
Thanks to KLUNK-ON-THE-HEAD from @tenurepro for his (Very Information Video)

Things have been going good for many months when I started my NEW SPS Tank.
I had no issues, till things started looking good (and then I Strayed back into BAD-LAND with Coral Feeding)...All to make things better, Faster)

Over the last few weeks things got worse.

I lost the Strawberry Shortcake, and a few other frags didn't look the best, but mostly I noticed I was LOSING THE PE I had only a few weeks ago.

Tonight I watched a great Video Made by @tenurepro which is a review of some scientific papers on Coral Feeding.
YOU MUST WATCH IT ... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-feeding-what-does-the-latest-science-say.550911/

It got me thinking a few things.

#1) A few weeks ago... (after watching BRStv and WWC Corals success tips). I started Floss(x2) in my SUMP (WHICH I NEVER DID BEFORE)

#2) Also a few weeks ago...AFter my Mandarin Died, (I stopped adding Copepods from my Copepod Farm)
#3) again many weeks ago...I started Coral Feeding of all sorts.

Basically I was heading (AGAIN) in the Wrong Direction that I told myself I would NOT DO with this New TANK!!!

THANKS @tenurepro for the WAKE UP CALL.

I just Removed my FLOSS (which was stripping off the Live Nutrients/Healthy-Particulates flowing thru my system)...

2019-02-08_NaturalTank3.jpg

I will restart Replenishing my Tank from my Copepod Farm (Only feeding the PODS)....

2019-02-08_NaturalTank2.jpg

And LAST BUT NOT LEAST STOP the Coral Feeding (all this JUNK Food)

2019-02-08_NatualTank-1.jpg

I can't just become a Complete Born-Again Health NUT overnight.

AMINOS STAY for now. (nothing in the Video about Aminos ;) :) ;) )

Let's see if things get better in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANOTHER WAKE UP CALL ( Coral Feeding & OverFiltration )
Thanks to KLUNK-ON-THE-HEAD from @tenurepro for his (Very Information Video)

Things have been going good for many months when I started my NEW SPS Tank.
I had no issues, till things started looking good (and then I Strayed back into BAD-LAND with Coral Feeding)...All to make things better, Faster)

Over the last few weeks things got worse.

I lost the Strawberry Shortcake, and a few other frags didn't look the best, but mostly I noticed I was LOSING THE PE I had only a few weeks ago.

Tonight I watched a great Video Made by @tenurepro which is a review of some scientific papers on Coral Feeding.
YOU MUST WATCH IT ... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-feeding-what-does-the-latest-science-say.550911/

It got me thinking a few things.

#1) A few weeks ago... (after watching BRStv and WWC Corals success tips). I started Floss(x2) in my SUMP (WHICH I NEVER DID BEFORE)

#2) Also a few weeks ago...AFter my Mandarin Died, (I stopped adding Copepods from my Copepod Farm)
#3) again many weeks ago...I started Coral Feeding of all sorts.

Basically I was heading (AGAIN) in the Wrong Direction that I told myself I would NOT DO with this New TANK!!!

THANKS @tenurepro for the WAKE UP CALL.

I just Removed my FLOSS (which was stripping off the Live Nutrients flowing thru my system)...

2019-02-08_NaturalTank3.jpg

I will restart Replenishing my Tank from my Copepod Farm (Only feeding the PODS)....

2019-02-08_NaturalTank2.jpg

And LAST BUT NOT LEAST STOP the Coral Feeding (all this JUNK Food)

2019-02-08_NatualTank-1.jpg

I can't just become a Complete Born-Again Health NUT overnight.

AMINOS STAY for now. (nothing in the Video about Aminos ;) :) ;) )

Let's see if things get better in the next few weeks.
I saw the notice on this video.
Seems like some good information is in it.

We tend to tinker and change many things all the time to see if we can improve the tank. Even if it is good already.
The most difficult thing to do is not to touch it at all... unless there is real necessity for it.

I like you are cutting back the changes and go back to the proven system.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the notice on this video.
Seems like some good information is in it.

We tend to tinker and change many things all the time to see if we can improve the tank. Even if it is good already.
The most difficult thing to do is not to touch it at all... unless there is real necessity for it.

I like you are cutting back the changes and go back to the proven system.
I'm the worst when it comes to Tinkering with my Tank. (Tinkering is in my Blood, I just have to tinker elsewhere [NOT TANK] ).

Even the whole PH project is probably an unnecessary and Dangerous thing. I'll let the CDX media run it's course, and end it as an experiment. (a Short PH improvement might heal the damage done)

The Kalk Reactor can't hurt my LPS tank much since I used to do Kalk years ago on it (with good results), but I will leave my SPS tank alone (till the day two Part dosing isn't enough).

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the worst when it comes to Tinkering with my Tank. (Tinkering is in my Blood, I just have to tinker elsewhere [NOT TANK] ).

Even the whole PH project is probably an unnecessary and Dangerous thing. I'll let the CDX media run it's course, and end it as an experiment. (a Short PH improvement might heal the damage done)

The Kalk Reactor can't hurt my LPS tank much since I used to do Kalk years ago on it (with good results), but I will leave my SPS tank alone (till the day two Part dosing isn't enough).
i know how you feel wally - i love to tinker too, and i did with my tank for the first year or so, and all i had was trouble. I think the frustrating parts about SPS is how little they grow at first. We are all searching for the magic cure for turning 1" frags into full sized colonies overnight. But it doesn't happen that way; stoney corals in reefs take a LONG time to grow, and why would our tanks be different. So it just a matter of make sure the water has enough nutrients to support their growth and managing our expectations for the first year or so. Your frags are growing (like the pacman pics) and i've seen it personally. The studies that i recently reviewed in the coral feeding video, along with my nutrients in the reef tank all suggest that raw water (with fish poop and other microorganism) is the best for acropora growth. So sit back and relax and watch as your frags SLOWLY develop into mini colonies. You'll have some that do so faster than others, but still, its not a quick process and tinkering only slows it down.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's painfully slow watching (new Little FRAGS Grow), especially the ones you like.

.....What I see is it takes time before things speed up. My Oldest Frags are living proof (THAT I NEED TO be PATIENT).

I am just visually comparing your growth to mine here
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=J8WBxEutSxk ; check out the video at the 5:09 mark. I think our frags are growing at the same rate (your frag was smaller than mine when i got it).. it took a good 6 month or so before it started taking off, and yours is starting to take off. so you are on the right track

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back