★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay they made it !
Thanks @Rakie. I know you like Gobies. You recently posted that Neon Goby is on your wish list.

When @tenurepro walked into the store to buy a pair, while I was already there, I probably wouldn't have join in to buy two, if it were not for your constant praise of gobies.
I enjoyed the QT experience and got to know them up close.

Hope one becomes a POTM star.

Even if not, I'm really excited to put them in DT.
Not rushing, since I want to have the time to enjoy the New Experience of a Cleaner Fish.

They are ready for DT since today I noticed their Belly's bulging, so they are good eaters. (Always begging when I walk by)
What they eat I have no idea, since it's hard to tell (they chase food, but I never see the bite/swallow), but I've given them Flake, Cyclops, Frozen Brineshrimp, and Mysis.

This is going to be fun.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gram for gram, gobies have a lot more personality than most fish. They are also pretty disease resistant, and hardy fish. If you want to eventually expand your list of cool little cryptic fish I would definitely suggest a bunch of cool gobies.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Rakie. I know you like Gobies. You recently posted that Neon Goby is on your wish list.

Yes, I lost mine after a tank blackout. He was very stressed and covered in lympho, and died shortly after. So did another fish. The moment I took off the blackout paper and saw my fish they were looking horrible.

@WallyB -- I have stupid questions about your DIY doser, just out of curiosity!

- How much/little can you dose?
- How many times can you dose per day?
- How accurate are the dosers?
- How often do dosing lines need to be replace/relubricated?

I probably just need to be more patient.. But I still think my corals looked best with my ATI Essentials over my CalRx. I really do enjoy them!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I lost mine after a tank blackout. He was very stressed and covered in lympho, and died shortly after. So did another fish. The moment I took off the blackout paper and saw my fish they were looking horrible.

@WallyB -- I have stupid questions about your DIY doser, just out of curiosity!

Not stupid questions. I thought of each one when I designed my DIY Doser.

- How much/little can you dose?

My doser is just a smart controller, that can schedule and turn ON/OFF of ANY PERISTALIC pump at speed accuracy in (milliseconds)
Depending on Pump and "depending on" tube in pump, the flow rate varies.
The pumps I chose are MEDIUM speed, Medium Tube,
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kamoer-New-KP-small-flow-rate-peristaltic-pump/2021419398.html?spm=2114.search0204.3.28.1c0e123eq5A11v&s=p&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_7_10065_10130_10068_10547_319_317_10548_10696_453_10084_454_10083_10618_10139_10307_537_536_10902_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103,searchweb201603_6,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=bef953c5-f627-40fa-848c-7e4139727f6c-4&algo_pvid=bef953c5-f627-40fa-848c-7e4139727f6c
With these I can dose (1 drop). I actually tested my Doser Accuracy, and I can dose (1/2 Drop, but it won't fall)

At the Other End of the Spectrum. I can dose [Pump Max Flow rate x 24 hours / # heads] ...................but that would burn the pumps out quickly
So let's roughly say 3 Liters/per day Max (1 Gallon), but if you choose one of the bigger pumps, the Sky is the limit
https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/...143649&origin=y&isViewCP=y&spellcheckPrompt=1

- How many times can you dose per day?
I can dose as many times PER HEAD as you want. Evenly spread, or at any time. Current codes Take(Daily Dose and splits it into N Equal doses, any time of day, not just evently spread)
HERE IS SAMPL CONFIG to make it Clear (Which does Midnight, 2am, etc)
char PUMP1_Label[4] = "ALK";
float PUMP1_DOSE_ml=50; // Daily Dose in ml
#define PUMP1_Dose_Intervals 12

byte Pump1_Dose_Hours[PUMP1_Dose_Intervals]={0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22}; /// [0=12AM]
byte Pump1_Dose_Mins[PUMP1_Dose_Intervals]={0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0}; ///

- How accurate are the dosers?
If I can dose 1/2 Drop, that is an accurate pump and accurate controller.
BUT I DID more. I have a Calibration that you can do as often as you want, so that each head is perfectly calibrated to dose 10ml Exactly. Then you tune it how much you actually dose.

- How often do dosing lines need to be replace/relubricated?
Depending on pump. The Kamoer Pumps come in Silicone tube and better PharMed BPT.
I've been using BPT tubes and doser has been running for two year (daily). Haven't done any maintenance.

I probably just need to be more patient.. But I still think my corals looked best with my ATI Essentials over my CalRx. I really do enjoy them!

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty awesome, thanks for the info! I actually had no idea you could buy kamoer peristaltic pumps by themselves like that

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie and @tenurepro you may be right Low P isn't needed for Healthy SPS.

My SPS are fine, and a few are not great, but in general I've watched my Forest Fire Digi. It seem to be very responsive to good or bad conditions.

The Forest Fire is in Terrible condition again, after making a Spectacular recovery last year.

All changes to my Tank, be it additive, routine, etc, I LOG.

Looking at my Logs, the Forest Fire Digi really started recovery when I started using PhosGuard, and got my P down to about .2 or a bit lower.

Then I was convinced to stop measuring/watching P and for a while that was ok. Now my P was at 0.4, but has come down to 0.35 since I stop feeding Corals.

I am going to start PhosGuard, which is light, slow P reducer and watch the Digi.

If that doesn't fix the Digi, at P=0.2, then I'll go back to Using AquaForest A,B,E,V which I was using back them. Still have some left over.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can be finicky. A coral in one tank may love phos, and a coral in another may react poorly. Many believe corals will actively adapt to their environment. Which is sometimes why corals may take MONTHS to "wake up" in a new system.

Some may not be able to handle the transition as well as others. But otherwise, I'm of the opinion THIS is exactly why SPS = "Stability Promotes Success". If they can and will adapt to anything, then changing things is the worst choice you can make.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can be finicky. A coral in one tank may love phos, and a coral in another may react poorly. Many believe corals will actively adapt to their environment. Which is sometimes why corals may take MONTHS to "wake up" in a new system.

Some may not be able to handle the transition as well as others. But otherwise, I'm of the opinion THIS is exactly why SPS = "Stability Promotes Success". If they can and will adapt to anything, then changing things is the worst choice you can make.
You may be right, since many other Frags are doing well. Some REALLY Well.
Loser lose, and winners win.

I'm not doing anything drastic. a 1/4 cup of PhosGuard isn't going to drop P like a brick. Last time I used 1 Cup and it took ages to Drop P by 0.05

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be right, since many other Frags are doing well. Some REALLY Well.
Loser lose, and winners win.

I'm not doing anything drastic. a 1/4 cup of PhosGuard isn't going to drop P like a brick. Last time I used 1.5 Cups and it took ages to Drop P by 0.05

What makes me tell people "Anything can work" was going to see one tank that looked stellar and had zero nutrients, then seeing another with the same corals looking just as good with sky high nutrients (and i'm talking pure SPS here). It's pretty interesting, especially when you count the people struggling that keep changing things and hoping it'll suddenly just 'work' one day. Often I wonder if their number chasing IS the problem.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you mentioned that.
I was at LFS looking for a replacement Mandarin (today).
They got a new Shipment of Fish, and just out of bag were a pair of "Twin Spot Gobies", or "Signal Gobies"
https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productdetail.asp?did=1&cid=18&pid=590
I read about them, and they are hard to keep. Pair might work, but also need a Deep Sandbed, so not something I have.

Yeah those guys are rough.. They need to be spot fed actually. Never fear, I will suggest dozens of gobies for you.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those guys are rough.. They need to be spot fed actually. Never fear, I will suggest dozens of gobies for you.
I pass (on Twin Spots). I hate SUPER hard fish. Especially when it comes to feeding. So frustrating. Can't force feed.
I lost my patience for tough fish after loosing so many of the Carriberryi Anthias. Only have one in tank after about 8-10 in QT. I lost track.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a hawkfish in your SPS tank we would all suggest a Geo pygmy hawk :D
Hmmm. Well I do have the Flame Hawk in my LPS tank. Really fun. He's quite Hillarious since kind of is STUPID. Or just acts stupid.
When he wants food (which is always), he does this Dance (vertical see-saw) near my Feeder Tube. Somehow he thinks doing that Dance brings food.
The funny part is he doesn't get it. When I put food into the Feeder Shoot, it come pouring out. All the fish enter the pipe to get the good stuff.
He hasn't figure that out, and keeps Dancing, which does stir up the food, and then he eats what's floating in the Water Column (but he never enters the pipe).

I could see a Pygmy Hawkfish like @NY_Caveman has would be interesting. Hope they don't eat small gobies.
I do also miss my Long Nose Hawkfish. Another small fish or invert risk.

At this point, I am bent on getting a replacement Mandarin First. Maybe two this time. I miss that kind of fish, and I still have a copepod farm running.

A Helfrichi Firefish like I have in my LPS tank would be nice. He is great. Has been eating well and gotten bigger. Spectacular colors and stands out way more than another other fish 5x his size.
I can see him 30 feet away when he comes out (same time each day)
Hard to come by, and not cheap.

On my wish list is a replacement Magma Wrasse, also hard to find.

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They max out at 2", so neon gobies get bigger than them.

They will eat nearly anything that fits in their mouth though, they're like a freaking catfish. If you get a small one he'll never catch up to be big enough to eat anything but a 1/2" goby.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REPLACEMENT (Mandarin Goby) Found (x2)

Everywhere I went, the Classic Mandarins were not great looking, till today's trip to a New Shipment Received Store.

There were at least 2 dozen to choose from, and only Male and Females.

I just brought home the Healthiest PAIR.

2019-02-22_PairMandarins.jpg

If they do well, it would make me Happy. After some QT, they will go into DT Sump Refuge for a while. (Return pump now has a PROPER GUARD!!!!!!!! )

BTW: No Sign of Neon Gobies yet. Considering their Size, I don't expect to see them for a while.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon gobies might hide for a few days until they determine if something wants to eat them.

I always tell people that fish have no concept of missing danger -- They know they can't swim beyond the glass, but they probably have no clue that a shark won't suddenly come around the corner someday. Fish aren't dumb, but I'm not sure they can grasp the confines of a tank.

So soon as they determine they aren't on the menu, they will start peeking out. You're more likely to see their little faces poking out of tiny holes you didn't think anything would fit in for the first day or two.

A lot of people also note they LOVE to hang out near the overflow... I couldn't tell you why, but they all do, and everyone is always worried they're gonna get sucked over and down to the sump... They shouldn't, but if you're feeling paranoid feel free to check.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back