★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update: ( Aptasia Eatting Nudis? ATS shutdown.... Peppermint Shrimp Order. New Fish. New Frag )

I give up on the Berghia watching for now. They should come out eventually (I hope).
No more keeping Aptasia to feed them.

I ripped apart the Algae Scrubber, and purged all the Aptasia Farm.

2019-12-28_ATSshutdown.jpg

Turned off ATS LEDS, for the short term. THE LED's were growing Apatasia along with Macro Algae.

Also placed an order for 10 peppermint Shrimps to deal with DT after Copperband goes in soon.

Boxing Week Left Specials continue, so got a new Fish for the Kitchen Tank.
2019-12-28_PurpleTang.jpg

A purple tang was my Very VERY FIRST fish ever back 20+ years ago. I forgot, but my wife remembered.

and this is the new Coral. BRIGHT AS HECK under normal lighting. (Almost blinding)
A Rainbow Pheonix Monti. Supposed to be a fast grower.

2019-12-28_RainbowPheonixMonti.jpg

No update on AQUAmon Alk Monitor. Still recovering from Flu, and brain isn't fully recovered for complex thinking.
If my Brain was working, I would have done QT on the Purple Tang. (He is in acclimation box but in DT)

This flu has been like no other. Really still taking it's toll. Must be me getting older or something, since I'm not fully recovered yet. Or simply Flu's are bad, and I haven't had one for at least 5 years.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh HA!!! Berghia NUDI's are alive.

I got a flood light and searched the Refuge (After Lights out) I spotted one, but it quickly hid from light.
Then another (or same one). EVEN ONE Alive is positive news...MEANS the others should be ok too.

2019-12-29_Berghia_nudi-Alive.jpg

They are alive, and I guess eating the baby Aptasia (first).
It didin't looked starved, and appear to be bigger (LONGER)...Certainly Fluffy looking.

Great News. It true...it will take time before they go after the external Aptasia.

That' just cheered me up BIG TIME. Everything isn't falling apart.
You always need a little bit of Forward/Positive Progress.

I actually had BRIEF THOUGHTs, of shutting down all my Tanks.
END THIS HOBBY.... (While sick).
Good thing it would take a lot of effort to do.
I'm trapped. No EASY way in, no EASY way out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa! That is incredible. Congratulations!
Thanks @NY_Caveman .
Well at least it proves they work (5 did the small 10 Gal refuge with a few infested rocks)

Now the bigger job is coming....My 110G DT loaded with 50-100x more rock... is absolutely infested with Aphasia. Like nothing I've ever seen before. Everywhere I look there is Apatisia (tons of little ones, some medium ones, a few are getting close to Medium-Large). Tank looks awful since I only have small Frags for coverage.

These Nudis will die within days if they don't eat Apatisia so got to get them into DT ASAP.

I already got a head start since I added a couple of peppermint shrimps.

I can add my Copperband from my frag tank too.

Might even get a few more nudis if needed.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp are nudis sworn enemy. Peppermint will eat the nudis....
Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read that nothing will eat a Berghia Nudi. Maybe that is not true.

That is a big problem. Impossible to catch the peppermint and that means I can't add Berghia's to DT.

Are you sure?

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I read it https://reeftown.com/faqs

Q: What eats Berghia?
A: There are several common inhabitants found in aquariums that can feed on your Berghia population. It is best not to have any, but having a predator doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t have Berghia, but they will impact them. The more predators you have, the greater the risk of not achieving a viable Berghia population. Aggressive shrimp, such as, Peppermint shrimp, and Camel shrimp pose some of the largest threats. Many wrasses, as well will seek out Berghia. Most fish, however, don’t care for the taste of the Berghia because they incorporate the aiptasia’s nematocysts within their tissues. Some crabs (the Sally Lightfoot) and Bristle Worms can do damage as well.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I read it https://reeftown.com/faqs

Q: What eats Berghia?
A: There are several common inhabitants found in aquariums that can feed on your Berghia population. It is best not to have any, but having a predator doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t have Berghia, but they will impact them. The more predators you have, the greater the risk of not achieving a viable Berghia population. Aggressive shrimp, such as, Peppermint shrimp, and Camel shrimp pose some of the largest threats. Many wrasses, as well will seek out Berghia. Most fish, however, don’t care for the taste of the Berghia because they incorporate the aiptasia’s nematocysts within their tissues. Some crabs (the Sally Lightfoot) and Bristle Worms can do damage as well.
Thanks @Fudsey .

Interesting.

Doesn't sound like a done deal that the peppermints will eat the Berghia, but if they do my population is 5 (if they are all alive).

I kind of hope the peppermints are munching on Aphasia (and full). But even loosing one or two Berghia wouldn't be good.

That's why I was hoping the Berghia's would breed in the sump refuge. Maybe not enough time.

I think I need to seek out more Aphasia rocks and add them to the Berghia farm to keep the Berghia's protected longer. At least to get one spawn or whatever you call Nudi's laying egg.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BERGHIA Update:

I couldn't waste time if the Berghia's are out of Food (Aptasia)......

So I went into refuge and rotated all the rocks, should there be any aptasia on bottom side.....ROCKS LOOK CLEAN as a whistle.

While rotating one rock, a Beghia showed up and quickly went into hiding. That's good, but I only came across one. (Hope there are others).

I disconnected my Refuge from the Sump, and it's running standalone (isolated) with a Heater and the Bio-Wheel filter I had running for a while.

I then added a Rock Covered with Big Juicy Aptasia from my Frag Tank. (Reason for disconnect is I don't want to contaminate DT with any new Pests from the FRAG TANK Rock).

Whatever Bergia are alive, will now have food!!

Next time I go into Refuge, I'll stir the rocks a bit more, hoping to find all 5 Berghias.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Aptasia Rock ( For Berghia ) Time/Reference Photo

Quick reference photo of the Rock I added to the Berghia Farm.

2020-01-15_NewAptasiaRock.jpg

I'm curious to see how Fast the Berghia consume Aptasia.

This time it will be different since Last time they had to eat all the Aptasia in the Refuge. (Now there is none, except on this new rock)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Tang (Teaches Yellow Tang) how to Eat Turf Algae

Wow. I just noticed this today (MY LPS Kitchen Tank).

My Turf Algae is dissapearing. (FIRST TIME IN YEARS)

2020-01-15_PurpleTangTurfGrazer.jpg

I've had a few Turf Algae Clumps for ages.
Every so often they got so big I had to manually prune them, or they would get out of control.
I could never eliminate them since you can never remove Turf Algae 100%.

Ever since I got the New Purple Tang, I noticed both Tangs plucking/chewing away at the Turf Algae.

Today I notice the Turf going away fast. Mowed down short.

That Purple Tang is the best thing ever. He is also really getting along peacefully with all the fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AQUAmon ALK Monitor ( Moving Forward Again ) LONG OVERDUE

Well, I motivated myself to get the Alk Monitor REALLY FINISHED and INSTALLED.
I've Procrastinating for ages because of the Aptasia distraction. Also since I want some of the Advanced code completed before installing.

I did some tests with SPS TANK Water, comparing the AQUAmon vs SALIFERT Alk Kit.

My Salifert kit gave me ALK=8.0 ( 3 tests the same ).

The AQUAmon gave me ALK=8.74 ( 3 tests the same ), if true then my alk is higher than I expected = 8.0.

THE "REALLY GOOD NEWS" is the AQUAmon is consistent. That's all that really matters for ALK stability.

However I do want to know which is the accurate Test Result, since the AQUAmon can calibrate any offset (if needed).
My Salifert test kit is low, so it could be off due to age/contamination.

I'm going to get a sample of water from @tenurepro , and he has a Trident, so that will be a interesting comparison.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AQUAMON Alk Monitor UPDATE: (FINAL PART ARRIVES) SILICONE Dosing Lines (FOOD GRADE)

I waited for 9 weeks for my dosing line/Sample Line order. IT ARRIVED TODAY.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32248402174.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.13ff4c4d8Bxhtm

I was temporarily using Standard Aquarium Air Line Tubing.

These new tube will be better. Main advantage is thinner Diameter, and food Grade Silicone Grade.

2020-01-23_NewDosingTubing.jpg

This is the back of the AQUAmon monitor, where the Dosing Heads, and lines are installed.

2020-01-23_AquaMonRearPumpLines.jpg

I'm all setup for testing, and will use the new lines for Installation Setup on Tanks.

All the Advanced Menu code has been written, and the Test Menus ready to do some comparison testing on the Water Samples I have.

2020-01-23_AquaMonMaint-Test-Menus.jpg

I'm getting excited again!!

MY SPS tank needs Serious Attention since It's a mess, and once the Alk Monitor is installed, I'll have plenty of time to fix things up.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUICK UPDATE: (Been Busy)

I've given up on the SPS Tank, since many of the New Frags aquired at Christmas time didn't make it.

Time for a RESTART on the TANK

I send in a water same few weeks ago, andMy ICP Test came back, and water looks perfect (so it not chemistry)

Only thing it show is my Iodine is a bit low (typical), and same for Arsenic (too low is good)

2020-02-05_ICPtest.jpg

I had a Reef Buddy over @tenurepro and he looked over my tank and gave me his recommendations on the Restart.

- Increase in Lighting after checking Pars (by Lowering T5's and adding a 2nd G1 Radion)
- No more additives
- Continue with Daily Water Change and two part dosing
- Change my Feeding routine (no Flake Food), Simple combo of Pellets and Frozen.
------> Get basic Pellets without Garlic or any Medicinal additives

Over next couple of weeks the Light will acclimate up to Target (approx 400++ pars at top of rocks)

Then I'll add some Frags.

THE ALK MONITOR (( FINISHED/COMPLETE/DONE ))

Just finished it tonight. Went overkill on all features I wanted and did them all, plus more!!

I should have a video by weekend if not sooner.

It's PRETTY, Cool, and It's Amazing. You'll see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Aptasia Rock ( For Berghia ) Time/Reference Photo

Quick reference photo of the Rock I added to the Berghia Farm.

2020-01-15_NewAptasiaRock.jpg

I'm curious to see how Fast the Berghia consume Aptasia.

This time it will be different since Last time they had to eat all the Aptasia in the Refuge. (Now there is none, except on this new rock)
APTASIA (ROCK II) Berghia's

This is Super Cool.

After I added the Extra Apasia Rock, I was worried that all 5 Nudi's didn't all make it.
I only saw one (Hard to know if it's one, or different ones showing up)

But One appeared to have made a home on the New Rock.

Today I noticed the Aptasia is quickly dissapearing.

And this Photo shows TWO BERGHIA's on the Rock. And they look Fat and Healthy.

(Only 2 Aptasia Left) One Aptasia for each :) ..... Will get another Aptasia rock as soon as they clean this one.
2020-02-05_Aptasia-TwoNudis.jpg

Hoping it's a Male and Female.....and babies coming soon!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just Nuked 90% the (Visible/Reachable) Aptasia in DT

Well after learning the speed of Aptasia Control using Berghia Nudi's I came to realization Berghia are VERY EFFECTIVE but SLOW.

Since the loss of my Copperband the Tank was covered with Aptasia EVERYWHERE.

It would take about 50 Berghia's to take care of all that Aptasia.

At $20 each, there is no way I would spend that kind of money.

So I decided to tackle the Majority of the DT Apatia (For $9). I had a full bottle of Joe's Juice Aptasia Spot Treament.

I turned off all the Circulation in the Tank. Rasied the Lights and Zapped every Aptasia I could reach.

The tank look 500% better. (I can see the rocks again, without Aptasia whisker waving around)
I missed a few, but I can treat again.

I now will transfer the Berghia (two at least) into DT and they can complete the Job.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back