★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing about LED is they penetrate water like no other, and supposedly, penetrate deeper into coral flesh than halide or t5.

After cutting, dipping, and water parameter change they will be more sensitive, and I would out them at the bottom for a few days to acclimate. That may have been why they were unhappy in your frag tank.
Yeah, I learned that lesson again (LED burn). Glad I caught it in time. However I did measure PARS and kept the Frag around 200. But still it was too much. (probably different spectrum burn)

As for your skimmer problem -- first I'd suggest considering a new one. In the mean time, I flush mine with fresh water often. At least once a week.. additionally, you can put upwards of 10ml of h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) into the air line, it will help clean it up immensely. Beware some shrimp don't react well to it in the water. Most people use 1ml per 10g water volume. So for you, 10ml should be fine.

Well I would just change my skimmer because of a once in a while plug up.

And I do have another Skimmer I bought a few years ago (Sitting on shelf)

27908354727_6da614ce5c.jpg

It's a RLLS DB8i. Was oversized for my 65. It might be ok for this 110 since it's rated for around 450Gal+

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/09/09...ally-new-db5i-db6i-and-db8i-protein-skimmers/

I should be using it. VARIABLE SPEED. Apex Controllable.

But in past every time I tried it, I Gave up. Even Running side by side with my 15 year old EuroReef.
My Euroreef right now pulls this much skim Every other day.

28903663458_4269b44c14_n.jpg

Side by side, the EuroReef Couldn't couldn't cough up a teaspoon of Skim.
I never had patience to tune it, and MAYBE time to try again.

There was one time the DB8i proved it power. I setup a QT with a Very Large Fish. Feed it like crazy, and the Skimmer Took Off.
Maybe it was tuning, maybe it was enough load, maybe is was Waiting to get the skimmer to break in.

I need to try again. At least side by side.

THANKS FOR REMINDING ME. (I am going to put it into my Refuge Section of the Sump.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. If your pH was really getting as low as 6.5'ish I'd say your old skimmer isn't creating enough gas exchange for your system. Either way, dumping water, or h2o2 in the airline is IMHO part of routine skimmer maintenance. It should be done every week. So even if you switch out skimmers, I would still do that.

Some people get away without it.. And some people do an oil change in their car every 10k miles -- YMMV.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. If your pH was really getting as low as 6.5'ish I'd say your old skimmer isn't creating enough gas exchange for your system. Either way, dumping water, or h2o2 in the airline is IMHO part of routine skimmer maintenance. It should be done every week. So even if you switch out skimmers, I would still do that.

Some people get away without it.. And some people do an oil change in their car every 10k miles -- YMMV.

My PH is fine. Remember, I have a Fresh Air Line from Outside of House. That helps a lot.
40968235410_1ce021f2a5_o.jpg

Thanks again for the Reminder, I just setup both Skimmers to see which will be best for new Tank.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EUROREEF (Old Skimmer) VS RLSS DB8i (Last Try)

So I set things up for the test. If the DB8 doesn't kick in. I'll sell it to Someone with a LARGER TANK (It will work, I know)

42729150902_2054cc6503_c.jpg

EUROREEF on LEFT. DBI on Right.

I want the DB8 to have a advantage on Nutrient Access.

SO I SETUP my GFO REACTOR pump/line to Feed the Refuge Compartment, close to the TANK Overflow (but after the Algae Scrubber)
The hose SPLITS into Two to Provide Tank water right into Skimmer Input, and the 2nd one to agitate the Refuge Compartment water.

The Refuge/Skimmer Compartment, overflows to the Tank Return Pump compartment.

Maybe more clear in this Photo.

42729147802_d8fb06bc8e_b.jpg

41878602805_d4c0c76f5e_z.jpg

So let's see what happens.

42729151612_9ca5a83a3e_b.jpg

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I must have misread your pH numbers, i thought I saw something along the lines of 6.5~ which is honestly not even easy to accomplish! lol

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
......... enough gas exchange for your system

I just improved things another Notch.

I installed another Fresh Air line to the DB8i Skimmer (Directly from outside, Separate feed).

41879598755_53b0104fb5_z.jpg

Plenty of Gas Exchange now. More Oxygen since from Outside House.

I have no idea why PH was on the decline (not bad) but dropping. IN past since I ran both Tank Skimmers from a SINGLE T Airline (I had a leak, or seal wasn't good on the other skimmer so a taking in house air).

42780607761_faf6217243_c.jpg

We'll see what this does for PH going forward.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ALGAE BLOOM (Getting Worse) I may know the Reason (Seachem Zoe Vitamin's = AMINO ACIDS)

I promised myself I would NOT feed the Corals in this Tank, NOR would I add any Additives.

However I did it by mistake trying to keep the new Fish Healthy.

I think my Algae outbreak is due to soaking all my Food in Seachem Zoe Vitamins, which has Amino and Algae in it. (The instruction say safe to add the Vitamin liquid into the tank)

I'm STOPING this practice, and getting some snail to clean up the Algae film before it get's out of control.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LIGHTING CHANGE (Really Like it)

I was going to replace the Purple Plus since it's not Ideal during an Algae Bloom.

Original plan was to throw in another Blue Plus.

Then I found an ATI Actinic that I used to use with MH lights.
I would NEVER use an old bulb in this new Tank, but PARS are not what this bulbs purpose is, and if Any Spectrum shift happens due to Age (it won't be in the Red Algae spectrum)

This is the new Bulb Config.

42070970784_692091e176_z.jpg

What make this better (beyond, less Algae contributing light), is I have a improved Sunrise and Sunset (using the Dimmable Atinic 39W shorter T5)

I blend the Actnic Dimmed up into the Blue LED Dimming up (SUNRISE) and then Blend Down for (Sunset)

It's nice since the Blue LED can't dim down as much to a Lower Lighting Level as the T5.

Also the LED is only at the FRONT, Pointing to the back. The Actnic T5 covers the whole Tank from Center.

EVERYTHING more Gradual for both SUNRISE and SUNSET.

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actinic are great. And they seriously aid growth and color due to their heavy UV lighting qualities.

I would say the PAR thing about actinic is both true, and false.. they lack PAR, but blow everything out of the water in PUR.

The difference is:
- PAR = ALL spectrums, usable and non usable to corals
- PUR = Coral USABLE spectrums only

So while the actinics have low PAR, they have exceptionally high PUR. If you look at Jason Fox's systems almost all his T5 bulbs are actinics.

As for your airline to outside, the longer the line the less air gets into your skimmer, hampering it's skimmate production.

Everything in this hobby is a catch 22 in some regards lol

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie,

Good new about the PUR factor. It's a win/win. Looks great for gentle lighting, and good for Corals... Maybe I should run the Actnic a bit more. During Main lighting.

And as far as Airline. No worries, I tested things. Ever try to Breathe from a 7 foot straw. Near Impossible (It's the total accumulative Drag, plus restrictive narrow flow channel)
My Skimmer Airline is 1/8"...Short piece. but my hose to outside house is 1" Diamter Sprinkler system PVC.

ZERO Air Flow Resistance (Tested it. No change to skimmer operation, but when I put finger over end, SKimmer goes nuts)

40988573380_a1f58c4612_z.jpg

And here is something Up Coming and Exciting (Building/testing setup). YOUR SUGGESTION. ( A VCA RFG NOZZLE ) Random Flow Generator

27929901227_9cdc071a2a_c.jpg

My Seaswirl motor Arm Broke (Snail got in way and jammed it), so no rotation.
Replacement is on the way, but Finally they sell this in CANADA. (Shipping was too much from USA)

I got the RFG 1" version so it doesn't got on my LOC LINE 3/4" b
But this way better since my SWIRL output has a 1" to 3/4 reducer. I removed it, and it fits perfectly.

No more back pressure, and I can crank up my DC Return pump to max.
I tried it briefly, and WOW. It does some funky stuff. (Felt Flow zipping around in channels with my hand. Amazing with no moving parts)

And add the Sea Swirl Rotation
(I might be able to remove 1 or two of my Hydor pump)

Tonight, I'm setting up a Airpump to Inject some Bubbles ( to film the flow).

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie,

Good new about the PUR factor. It's a win/win. Looks great for gentle lighting, and good for Corals... Maybe I should run the Actnic a bit more. During Main lighting.

And as far as Airline. No worries, I tested things. Ever try to Breathe from a 7 foot straw. Near Impossible (It's the total accumulative Drag, plus restrictive narrow flow channel)
My Skimmer Airline is 1/8"...Short piece. but my hose to outside house is 1" Diamter Sprinkler system PVC.

ZERO Air Flow Resistance (Tested it. No change to skimmer operation, but when I put finger over end, SKimmer goes nuts)

40988573380_a1f58c4612_z.jpg

And here is something Up Coming and Exciting (Building/testing setup). YOUR SUGGESTION. ( A VCA RFG NOZZLE ) Random Flow Generator

27929901227_9cdc071a2a_c.jpg

My Seaswirl motor Arm Broke (Snail got in way and jammed it), so no rotation.
Replacement is on the way, but Finally they sell this in CANADA. (Shipping was too much from USA)

I got the RFG 1" version so it doesn't got on my LOC LINE 3/4" b
But this way better since my SWIRL output has a 1" to 3/4 reducer. I removed it, and it fits perfectly.

No more back pressure, and I can crank up my DC Return pump to max.
I tried it briefly, and WOW. It does some funky stuff. (Felt Flow zipping around in channels with my hand. Amazing with no moving parts)

And add the Sea Swirl Rotation
(I might be able to remove 1 or two of my Hydor pump)

Tonight, I'm setting up a Airpump to Inject some Bubbles ( to film the flow)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And SOME RELIEVING POSITIVE NEWs (( MY Bloom in ONLY ALGAE, and NOT CYANO or DINOS)

I couldn't sleep last night. I was worried my tank was getting Cyano, or Worst Dinos.....That would be a major Progress setback.

I took some samples to Tunurepro who has a Good Microscope.

ALL CLEAN. Just Algae.

GOING to get some Snails.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VCA RFG [ Random Flow Generator ] (( 1 inch Model )) 2500 GPH Flow on a Sea Swirl ★★ Awesome

I wanted to POST this earlier, but the (short 3 minute) VIDEO took hours to upload.
It's 469MB, for just some BLUE WATER. NORMALLY That should compress to much smaller.
But all the RANDOM bubbles can't be compressed.

The Credit (referral) goes to RAKIE for introducing me to VGA RFG. I never knew it existed.
I also would have never bought it, if my SeaSwirl didn't break (the Arm Snapped when a snail block the rotation)

I ordered a 1" RFG by mistake, instead of the 3/4" model. It didn't fit my 3/4" Loc Line via Reducer, 3/4" would have snapped on.
Then I noticed my Sea Swirl has a 1" Threaded Connector (Behind Reducer)
A simple 1" double threaded PVC section (fit perfectly at both ends).
*BEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE*

My DC10000 Return pump spec says it can push 2853 GPH, but I do have a bit of Height (3'9"), Even though my Sump is on a Stand 1 1/2 feet up.

Let's say I am getting somewhere between 2000-2500GPH if I used my 3/4" reducer. (maybe less)

YET WITH THE 1" DIRECT CONNECT to Sea Swirl 1" connector (Flow is maximized), there is very little Back Pressure, and FULL WIDER FLOW on the 1" model....Not sure if the 3/4" would have been as effective.

I watched some YOUTUBE videos before I bought it and they kind of gave me some confidence to buy one (BUT I WAS VERY SKEPTICAL that is was a GIMMIC)...then the Sea Swirl Broke.

I was very skeptical, with respect to..... How can a non-moving device do RAMDOMNESS.

(After watching it run in person I see that the Venturi type design, and the OUTER & INNER Flow Blades, REALLY WORK )

IT's actually RANDOM, No repeating Pattern. Flow is wild, and NOT Narrow at all
The Massive Flow Rate is broken up Super Wide/Scattered, and gentle even right at the Nozzle.(You can feel it with your hand)

CHECK IT OUT
(Front and Back of Tank....Two views)....
....(Running with a Airstone bubbling at Return Pump INPUT in sump) To clearly see the Flow in the TANK

What do you think? I'm Super impressed. More impressive in person.

RAKIE you were right about this amazing Product!! Worth Every Penny!! Many THANKS!

It will be even better once I fix my Mechanism on the Seaswirl to Rotate THIS BEAST.

I have to get my SPS mounted and Up and Running ASAP!! (They will love it)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VCA RFG [ Random Flow Generator ] (( 1 inch Model )) 2500 GPH Flow on a Sea Swirl ★★ Awesome

I wanted to POST this earlier, but the (short 3 minute) VIDEO took hours to upload.
It's 469MB, for just some BLUE WATER. NORMALLY That should compress to much smaller.
But all the RANDOM bubbles can't be compressed.

The Credit (referral) goes to RAKIE for introducing me to VGA RFG. I never knew it existed.
I also would have never bought it, if my SeaSwirl didn't break (the Arm Snapped when a snail block the rotation)

I ordered a 1" RFG by mistake, instead of the 3/4" model. It didn't fit my 3/4" Loc Line via Reducer, 3/4" would have snapped on.
Then I noticed my Sea Swirl has a 1" Threaded Connector (Behind Reducer)
A simple 1" double threaded PVC section (fit perfectly at both ends).
*BEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE*

My DC10000 Return pump spec says it can push 2853 GPH, but I do have a bit of Height (3'9"), Even though my Sump is on a Stand 1 1/2 feet up.

Let's say I am getting somewhere between 2000-2500GPH if I used my 3/4" reducer. (maybe less)

YET WITH THE 1" DIRECT CONNECT to Sea Swirl 1" connector (Flow is maximized), there is very little Back Pressure, and FULL WIDER FLOW on the 1" model....Not sure if the 3/4" would have been as effective.

I watched some YOUTUBE videos before I bought it and they kind of gave me some confidence to buy one (BUT I WAS VERY SKEPTICAL that is was a GIMMIC)...then the Sea Swirl Broke.

I was very skeptical, with respect to..... How can a non-moving device do RAMDOMNESS.

(After watching it run in person I see that the Venturi type design, and the OUTER & INNER Flow Blades, REALLY WORK )

IT's actually RANDOM, No repeating Pattern. Flow is wild, and NOT Narrow at all
The Massive Flow Rate is broken up Super Wide/Scattered, and gentle even right at the Nozzle.(You can feel it with your hand)

CHECK IT OUT
(Front and Back of Tank....Two views)....
....(Running with a Airstone bubbling at Return Pump INPUT in sump) To clearly see the Flow in the TANK

What do you think? I'm Super impressed. More impressive in person.

RAKIE you were right about this amazing Product!! Worth Every Penny!! Many THANKS!

It will be even better once I fix my Mechanism on the Seaswirl to Rotate THIS BEAST.

I have to get my SPS mounted and Up and Running ASAP!! (They will love it)

This is great! The video came out excellent.

@Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW @WallyB - thanks for the awesome review and video. The Random Flow Generator and the Sea Swirl really are a great match.Can't wait to see this once you get the SW back up and running.

Just skimmed through your build thread looking at all the photos and I have to say,It is a really nice upgrade and the fish room remodel is amazing. I'll spend a little time and go back and read more about it.

Thanks for giving the RFG Nozzle a place in this awesome build.... and Thank You @Rakie for the referral - We do appreciate it.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW @WallyB - thanks for the awesome review and video. The Random Flow Generator and the Sea Swirl really are a great match.Can't wait to see this once you get the SW back up and running.

Just skimmed through your build thread looking at all the photos and I have to say,It is a really nice upgrade and the fish room remodel is amazing. I'll spend a little time and go back and read more about it.

Thanks for giving the RFG Nozzle a place in this awesome build.... and Thank You @Rakie for the referral - We do appreciate it.
Hey Vivid,

I just ordered a Pair of 3/4" Nozzles, that will click into place easily on my LOC LINE Y-Connector.
So I'll give that setup a try. Do another Bubble Flow test.

The concern I have is Sea Swirl Tech support told me to be careful on backpressure on my 1" Sea Swirl. I have a 20 year old model. They are better now. (New Design on Seals)
So far it's not leaking at all with the 1" nozzle and no reducer. Even then Sea Swirl recommend I turn my pump down to 50%

So going with TWO 3/4" will backpressure more. So bit concerned.

However the Plan (later) is with Extra Flow Capacity on my DC Waveline, I might T Off the 1.5 return hose.

My tank (Euro Top Glass TRIM) was designed to put the Sea Swirl into 3 possible locations. (Picture in earlier Post)
One Location if FRONT CENTER (which I didn't use). Eye Sore with a Lower Sea Swirl in my face.

A VCA nozzle in the Front might be easier to conceal. Higher up and at a angle.
Nothing could be better than having Front to Back Flow, and that is why I designed that option when Custom Ordering my tank.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Vivid,

I just ordered a Pair of 3/4" Nozzles, that will click into place easily on my LOC LINE Y-Connector.
So I'll give that setup a try. Do another Bubble Flow test.

The concern I have is Sea Swirl Tech support told me to be careful on backpressure on my 1" Sea Swirl. I have a 20 year old model. They are better now. (New Design on Seals)
So far it's not leaking at all with the 1" nozzle and no reducer. Even then Sea Swirl recommend I turn my pump down to 50%

So going with TWO 3/4" will backpressure more. So bit concerned.

However the Plan (later) is with Extra Flow Capacity on my DC Waveline, I might T Off the 1.5 return hose.

My tank (Euro Top Glass TRIM) was designed to put the Sea Swirl into 3 possible locations. (Picture in earlier Post)
One Location if FRONT CENTER (which I didn't use). Eye Sore with a Lower Sea Swirl in my face.

A VCA nozzle in the Front might be easier to conceal. Higher up and at a angle.
Nothing could be better than having Front to Back Flow, and that is why I designed that option when Custom Ordering my tank.

Back pressure will depend on how much flow you try to push through them . At around the 1,000GPH mark, the 3/4in nozzle will create around 20% head pressure loss. Dropping from 1in to 3/4in will create some of that pressure.

With said, i just ran some tests on our test bed tank. I set the pump to max (920 GPH) -

Straight - 1in pipe - 920 GPH
Straight 1in Pipe reduced to 3/4in Loc-line - 3/4in Y and some 3/4in loc-line for a dual outlet r - output 874GPH
1in Pipe reduced to 3/4in Loc-line with Dual Nozzles - with the 3/4in Y, some loc-line and two 3/4in RFGs - output 820-825GPH

hope that helps.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great! The video came out excellent.
@Vivid Creative Aquatics
Thank Caveman,

More to come. Will be another video when my SeaSwirl Replacement Part comes, AND NOW a couple of 3/4" VCA Nozzles.

And I got a special Video on the Way. Canada Corals gave me a neat little creature (to Free Sample to trial on my other Tank...Which has a lingering Hydroid Problem).

28953234998_68fb532975_b.jpg

Never had one these before. THEY EAT HYDRIODS EXCLUSIVELY.

https://www.canadacorals.com/collections/inverts/products/starry-mouthed-nudibranch

The got a large shipment of these.

I just put him in, and watching on a Timelapse Video Camera. He kind of went straight for a cluster of Hyroids. Too soon to say if he is eating them.

If he does, that will be a dream come true.
My Copperband and Pepermint Shrimp are Handling the Aptasia (Just a few Aptasia Left...Used to be a plague)
This would complete the Tank Pest Cleanup.

Last edited:
Back