★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEON GOBY UPDATE ( Still only ONE...But Getting more Daring)

It's cool that at least one of the Neon's picked a spot at Front of Tank, Perfect View When I Sit At desk.

2019-02-28_SingleNeonGobyMoreDaring.jpg

His appearances are Brief, but getting longer each time. He still is afraid of all fish.

If the other one is at back of tank, I'd never know.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's more likely the neon gobies are both alive. You may have one hiding is all. They can do that at first.

Interesting though, mine was out all day long, and when I got mine he was sooo small he actually was nearly translucent. The only thing he feared was my evil bangaii, who again, was absolutely convinced the neon was food until it grew up. And still, the neon was out all day, outsmarting the heck out of the poor bangaii... I still wish I had recorded his heroic weaving in and out of the frag racks where the bangaii couldn't get him, and seeking refuge on the melanurus because the baingaii would get bit if it went after the Melanurus... Such a shame, he was such a great fish. Sooo much personality.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's more likely the neon gobies are both alive. You may have one hiding is all. They can do that at first.

Interesting though, mine was out all day long, and when I got mine he was sooo small he actually was nearly translucent. The only thing he feared was my evil bangaii, who again, was absolutely convinced the neon was food until it grew up. And still, the neon was out all day, outsmarting the heck out of the poor bangaii... I still wish I had recorded his heroic weaving in and out of the frag racks where the bangaii couldn't get him, and seeking refuge on the melanurus because the baingaii would get bit if it went after the Melanurus... Such a shame, he was such a great fish. Sooo much personality.
@Rakie you may be right, but I have my doubts for a few reasons.

I have only seen one goby (very briefly each day), but that may be since he is right at front of DT, where I sit and watch.

These gobies were from Proaquatics, so they are captivebred. Might need time for becoming more daring.

My hope is that they both went thru 8 weeks of QT. Healthy and Fattened up, so how could one disappear on first day, never to be seen (unless hid somewhere and still is hiding).

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be like my Firefish. I had him for a while. He disappeared. I thought he died, and 8 months later while tearing down my tank, he was in rocks. (Useless fish, if never comes out)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish hide like that. My firefish has been with me for 4 years now, and it was hiding for at least 8 months straight. I completely expected she died, but one day she just popped out lol

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATED (FRAG List-CATALOG)

Boring Progress on Tank. Growth Slow when you watch.
So I' haven't update my Frag List in 7 Months. (Lost a Few, Got a few).
33458600818_9c9c71dffa_k.jpg

A few names I can't recall.
All nice stuff if they make it to mini-colonies.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice list you've got built up!

Also, that chromis looks huge lol
That Chromis is Huge and Mean.

I actually just borrowed a Fish Trap to Catch him.
He isn't a KILLER, but a Real Bully that aggravates the nicer fish like the Anthias.
The only thing that keeps him in check is my Wanatabei Angel. If it were not for him, the Chromis would be a killer.

I got TWO NEW Fish on the Way for the SPS TANK ...pickup next week. (The Mandarin Gobies will go into Kitchen Tank)

A Pintail Wrasse.
2019-03-10_PinTailWrasse.jpg

and one of these. ( Already Trained to eat Frozen foods)
2019-03-10_RubyRed.jpg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis get that way, very rare they stay nice. But the pintail is a great pickup. I might specifically remove the chromis for the pintail, he might nip the tail of the wrasse.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yummy - the pacman looks really happy! hurry up other frags!
UPDATED (FRAG List-CATALOG)

Boring Progress on Tank. Growth Slow when you watch.
So I' haven't update my Frag List in 7 Months. (Lost a Few, Got a few).
33458600818_9c9c71dffa_k.jpg

A few names I can't recall.
All nice stuff if they make it to mini-colonies.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Fish in QT ( PINTAIL WRASSE ) Looks Nice and Healthy (Colorful too!!)

New Fish Arrived today. (First So-So Photo)

40432807973_cee3ccda6a_c.jpg

I usually buy my fish seeing them in person, but this was delivered by Store Owner (who said he picked out the best one left)

I'm impressed......Hope he does well.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOOPS ( THIS EXPLAINs why my LPS/Trumpet/ACAN have been looking a bit WEIRD) ALK OVERDOSE

Glad the bottles were NOT FULL!!!

2019-03-17_ESV-PartA-Overdose.jpg

NO CORALS KILLED, just some Stress that is going away. IF THIS HAPPENED ON SPS TANK (Bye-Bye Frags)

I normally would have Caught this, but that KALK dosing I tried already raise PH.

It must have happened when I switch Dosing Pumps from Kalk to Dosing, and I was purging lines or dosing re-program of APEX.
MY DIY doser would never let this happen since I have a MAX Dose (Emergecny Cut off Setting)

My ALK is 15, and it was at 10 With Kalk. Good it wasn't at regular 7.5
My CALCIUM dropped due to precipitation down to 380 from 480.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... how did this happen again ?
Sorry for late reply, Been crazy busy.

It happened when I used the One of Doser pumps for Kalk Top UP trial.
When I took of the Kalk Doser, and put Dosing Pumps back as A/B dosers (one program was still Top UP)
I swear I tested things, but maybe, maybe I had two web browsers up on the Apex and did another save or something.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GENERAL (Overdue) UPDATE

The PinTail Wrasse almost died. not 100% sure why, but I suspect Ammonia/Nitrite Toxicity in QT. Quick reaction Water changed, saved him, he is doing fine.

I had a Tuxedo Urchin in my Frag Tank. Did a great job of cleaning up but nothing left to eat. Put him in my SPS tank.

Right away he tackle Coraline Everywhere. Clean up cables covered in them. Then moved onto Rock, but on the way picked up some interesting stuff. (Flake of Coraline, and some Macro Algae growing near overflow drain)

2019-03-29_HipppieTuxedoUrchin.jpg

So this next update is courtesy of @tenurepro . He was at LFS last night, and called all excited. Talked me into getting a fish he likes. A 8 Line Wrasse.
Almost got me to buy a Male and two Females, but then he look into things and told me it might not be ideal. I got the Male (might be SUPER MALE since really nice colors)

The Wrasse was brought home today, and I usually drop Bag into QT for Temp, then do 5 min, half bag acclimations to bring up Salinity.
TRIED Something more interesting and gentle since LFS Salinty was 1.021 and my QT is 1.027

USE THE 2 KAMOER PUMPS with REMOTE Control (to PARTIALLY Drain the FIsh Bag, and Fill with QT Water) in many short cycles, over a period of about 25 Minutes, till Salinity was matched to QT.
2019-03-29_DualKamoerQTBagAclimation.jpg

I like the pumps a lot. No siphon (backflow). Fast.

I might be making a small Portable Water changer (Caddy thing) controlled by an Ardiuno mini Computer and some relays.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pintail looks great!

I haven't gotten updates for your thread either. It seems that the notification system just forgets what I'm watching now and again!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang this reef is going to be amazing as it grows out more!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang this reef is going to be amazing as it grows out more!

Thanks @revhtree

It's turning out to be a PAINFULLY Slow Wait. (Projects and Distraction from Daily Watching Helps)

I was just about to post a Growth Shot, before I caught your post.
Here is one of the VERY FIRST FRAGS that went in 10 Months Ago. A Pacman, with his Baby Photo.

One of my Favourites. Donated by a Fellow Reefer @tenurepro as Tank Testing Sacrifices. (Only two survived, The Pacman and the Miyagi)

2019-04-02_PacMan10Months.jpg

He is the Neon Glowing Lighthouse in my Tank at Actinic Time.
2019-04-02_PacMan.jpg

The Miyagi, is keeping pace.
2019-04-02_Miyagi.jpg

If only the rest of the Frag would just Speed up a little bit, I'd be happy.

But have to be patient, they came months later.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back