★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** SNEAK PEEK ** TANK MATE (MEGA) 4 Stage Water Changer with Maintenance Minder (HW BUILT)

This is what it will do.

2019-04-19_WaterChangerFlow-4Stage-Diagram.jpg

No Fancy Case, the Electronics will be the Fancy Stuff.

Used a High Density Foam Insert from Packing Material. Perfect to cut holes, etc

More details to come, but this Baby will finally get my Hands out of the Tank.
Maybe even bring down my N&P with the Regular Daily Water changes.

And best part it is till keep my Frag Tank Stable and at the Same time Reuse the Water 3 Times (Since My LPS Tank is dirty compared to the SPS Tank)

More DETAIL TO COME, and a FULL DEMO when I install it working.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome good job Wally
Thanks @tenurpro.

It's my last Hope and attempt at SPS. If this fails, I'll start full blown LPS (Torches, Hammers, Acans, etc) like my Kitchen Tank. Along with the Cyphastrea Islands.

Hoping this routine water change is what I need to Keep my Phosphates below 0.2, and N whatever it wants to be. (Current SUPER STABLE N=25)

I say this since I've been Hammering my P down with Phosguard, and it's been a Yo-Yo battle as P keeps rising to above 0.35, (when media Expires) and then down to 0.2. Bad for my SPS (Swing). Some SPS hate it and are getting Damaged.

However as soon at I get below 0.2 everything (Not Damaged. Veteran SPS Frags Take off with Growth Spurts [Like never before]).
I am convinced I need to keep P between 0.1 and 0.2. (Because when Stable P at 0.35 Frags stop growing).

Or it could be something else (acclimation) since like I say Veteran corals (like Pacman, etc) are thriving.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular water changes are useful for several reasons. Is the battle star doser fully operational ?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular water changes are useful for several reasons. Is the battle star doser fully operational ?
Well, R2D2 and C3PO plan to have it running this weekend. They are using they Blue Plasma Tubing you provided (Short lengths since All 3 Tank Source/Outputs are close).

The reason I added Reverse to the 3 Pumps, is between DT's, I may Backward purge the lines to empty them (no water in tubes doesn't go stale/dead)

However since you are already doing Daily Water changes, has that affected you A/B Dosing?

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, R2D2 and C3PO plan to have it running this weekend. They are using they Blue Plasma Tubing you provided (Short lengths since All 3 Tank Source/Outputs are close).

The reason I added Reverse to the 3 Pumps, is between DT's, I may Backward purge the lines to empty them (no water in tubes doesn't go stale/dead)

However since you are already doing Daily Water changes, has that affected you A/B Dosing?

I haven’t noticed a big change in terms of dosing demands but I am finding s but more stability with the daily water changes; less changes in dkh week to week

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t noticed a big change in terms of dosing demands but I am finding s but more stability with the daily water changes; less changes in dkh week to week
Well Stability is my Goal, after all, if I were a Super Hero in the new Avengers Movie I would be "Dr. Disruptor"

** (BTW) **, I watched "Infinity Wars" last night on DVD to prepare to see "End Game" tomorrow at the Theatre with my Teen Son

MOVING ALONG with WATER CHANGER INSTALL

** TILL FULLY TESTED ** (Watching Closely for a while)

I'll be running Manual Triggered (By One-Push-Button, ie. NOT AUTO-Scheduled), however even now... I am building in All Safety Measures.
(Since this is 4 Stage Water change and things could go wrong)

This is the Water Reservoir components

- The Airline is two-fold (Easy way to agitate the water, and also some aeration to Keep PH up [FreshAir] )

- The Float Sensor is to STOP any water change-START (if Empty)
- ALL MAGNET Mounted (To keep at proper Bottom Position)

2019-05-04_TankMateMega-PreInstall-Res.jpg

And for the APEX- to TANK Mate-Controller (INTEGRATION), (** Two-Way ** )

- There will be failsafe (Communication between Apex and The Tank Mate)

------> The APEX will be MASTER and request a Water Change (at scheduled time)
------> The TANK MATE as SLAVE will respond a MATCHING Schedule (If Ready, and Proceed with Change)
------> Any Failure on Float Sensor (Reservoir, or Tank) will Send Signal BACK TO APEX (AS ERROR-Failure, and That will Trigger an EMail to me)

- The Apex will control my 3 ATO's (turning off all 3 during Water Changes)

** NOT SHOWN YET ** are the 3 ADDITIONAL FLOAT SWITCHES
- THERE WILL BE A FLOAT Switch in Each Sump and The Frag Tank
-----> DRAIN WILL BE TIME/VOLUME
-----> REFILL will BE By FLOAT SWITCH (at Same Level as ATO Sensors) for a Perfect Water change
(** Most important is FAILSAFE Water Change **), and this will be the Email Trigger (sensing) if something goes wrong

2019-05-04_TankMateMega-PreInstall-ATO-IO.jpg

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody I know who I stalled a water change g system is destroying their tank. Low nutrients are the opposite of the answer.

I've tried so hard but you refuse to listen. Stop making your water sterile. Nobody has done that since the early 2000's except the old dogs who refuse to change. Very often what they have isn't that spectacular anyways

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody I know who I stalled a water change g system is destroying their tank. Low nutrients are the opposite of the answer.

I've tried so hard but you refuse to listen. Stop making your water sterile. Nobody has done that since the early 2000's except the old dogs who refuse to change. Very often what they have isn't that spectacular anyways
You don't get the purpose. Or maybe you do, but don't agree.
I do Water Changes Once every MONTH, or Sometimes once every other week but 1/2 the water.
This will do Water changes SAME amount per MONTH, but just Daily. (Dr. Randy Farley Holmes Articles shows the Value/TradeOffs)

And like I mentioned. Best Part, is I'll be re-using a Water Change Water (3 Times, cascading from Best Tank, to Dirtiest Tank).
I see nothing wrong with this. It make my DT to Frag Tank Hook up Possible, and then Last OLD Water goes into my LPS TANK.
I think of this as Modernization, and Water-Salt-ECO Friendly not OLD SCHOOL.

Or this will convince you @Rakie
With Total Automation, I wont' touch my Tank Anymore (won't even do a thing every two months, since enough water to run Auto)
and I can pick, Once a Hour, Once a Day, Once A week, A month, etc (any amount)
Anything wrong with that?

And if things get too Sterile....
I can add the Coral Essential Grow, Amino that you convinced me to Poison my Tank With.

Not enough Nutrients. I can start doing my PolyPBooster, Reef Roids, and OsyterFeast (that I stopped using)

I can also get more FISH!!

AND THIS WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY
My plan with this WC is to remove my Algae Scrubber.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEHIND THE Scenes (TANK MATE Mega) Wiring.

This may seem like a set from Frankenstien.....
But it's actually quite Solid.
Each Connection pre-tested, and then Sealed in Hot Glue. (No Shorts possible, and NO Corrosion from Salt)
THEN BACK will be SEALED.

2019-05-04_TankMate-Mega-BackWiring.jpg

too complicated.....
This Explains it all.

2019-05-04_AridunoMega-MegaPinouts.jpg

It's actually Very Simple wiring. Lots of Switches (but Computer Controlled).

The hard part is the SOFTWARE/Complex Logic.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing @Rakie

I've been trying for the longest time to Not Chase the P=0.1-0.2 number.

Finally I am. Sure a few New Frags don't like it.
But many do.....

I've never Seen this kind of GROWTH, PE, and COLOR Ever.

Photo Taken today of my PAPI CHULO

No PHOTO color enhancing AT ALL.

2019-05-04_RR-PappiChulo.jpg

It's actually Brighter RED in person.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my last Hope and attempt at SPS

Did I misread this, or are you saying all your SPS is dying suddenly? Because that's what it sounded like to me, especially when you mentioned newer SPS have problems.

And if things get too Sterile....
I can add the Coral Essential Grow, Amino that you convinced me to Poison my Tank With.

Nobody else seemed to have any problems with it. At any rate, don't worry. You won't be hearing from me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I misread this, or are you saying all your SPS is dying suddenly? Because that's what it sounded like to me, especially when you mentioned newer SPS have problems.

Nobody else seemed to have any problems with it. At any rate, don't worry. You won't be hearing from me.
Ooops. Certainly having a bad Communication day ON MY SIDE (@Rakie) . Foot in mouth Syndrome I think.

#1 (No, my corals are not all dying. All Originals are fine). It just seems to be a few new ones I added like and A Beautiful Green Enchinata (One Example). It was fine at back of tank on Rack, and then I moved it. Died next day.
It Happened to a few other Newbies, and I think it all my Fault (not letting them Acclimate to my Lights).
This didn't happen before with Just T5's.
I think since my System is now T5/LED Hyrbird, I need to Aclimate to Lighting MUCH MORE. (The TWo XR30 Radions are finished their AClimate program, 2nd Round)

#2 (I love Coral Essentials, and all my Poisons). **I WAS KIDDING (pulling your leg), but didn't put a LOL at the END, Sorry :( **
I was being cheap on the CS Drops (under dosing), and a few DAY ago, I ramped up to PROPER # of Drop per Gallon. Maybe a touch extra.
That's when the Papi Chulo Caught my attention.

One of the other Goals with this Water Changer is to do MODERN REEFING. Which means Add all the POISON ADDITIVES (Amino and Foods)
But the Extra Water Changes will help to Keep the Water Cleaner.

#3 And ALL MY NON-SPS (the Cyphrastrea, are STUNNING), they Opened up and I can't wait to Make little Rock Covered LUMP Garden.

At any rate, don't worry. You won't be hearing from me.
Hey, don't bail out on me now, or are you just kidding too. I Hope.
I appreciate when you SCOLD me for messing around with my Tank. (I NEED IT!!, I have a problem! DIY Touch Problem)
You've always given good advice, on many topics.
When I don't agree, I just don't follow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more clarification @Rakie.

When I said NEW Frags, (I meant last couple of week adds BRAND NEW SPS Frags). Not Stuff from Last Month, or Months.

Here is the Newest Cyphastrea's recently add (BUT AT THE BOTTOM OF TANK, and not moved)
One isn't doing great, but the others are doing very good. One Finished Encrusting the Whole Plug.

2019-05-05_Cyphastrea.jpg

SEE BEFORE PHOTO (two weeks ago)
#11 JF Party Crasher started off Way Worse.
#9 Is the one that encrusted quickly
Almost ALL improving. All AT BOTTOM OF TANK

2019-05-05_CyhpastreaBefore.jpg

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE LAST (TANK MATE MEGA WC) Controller PARTS

Completed the Last 4 Crystals Plates that will complete the Controller.

2019-05-05_TankMateCrystalPlates.jpg

Hot Glue still cooling, but they will get installed (hoping tomorrow) Along with the Base Unit.

Crystals Like in the "Avengers Infinity Wars" Movie.

These are the Crstals of "Encrustment" "Growth" "PE" and "Color"

Well maybe something different.

You'll see.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK STATUS CRYSTALS (COMPLETED) Hooked into Controller.

Some sample CODE to Test the TRI-COLOR (Red,Green,Blue) LED's.

One of these Crystal Plates will go on Each TANK, to indicate RUNNING STATUS. (3 Leds inside the LED Module for 7-8 Possible Colors when Mixed R+G+B)
And in Case of the RESERVIOR CRYSTAL (Full=GREEN or Empty=RED, PURPLE=???)

Came out better then I expected.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** IMPOSSIBLE ** The "Rainford Goby ** IS NOT IN FRAG/QT TANK **

I came home from the Easter Family Dinner, and still no sign of Goby.

I did EVERYTHING except Drain Tank. NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.

Again, I looked on floor. NOTHING!

There were guards on all the pumps. Side covers on all tank sides.

There in only one very narrow wedge spot between two BLACK Acrylic Sheets (that have warped). Possible he is in there.

Weird!!
I was just snooping through your build. Nice project. I love DIY (but always take the easy route). You’re into some technical stuff! Anyway, did the goby ever get found? And do you have a recent pic of the in wall tank from the office? I wasn’t going through 65 tabs to find it.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just snooping through your build. Nice project. I love DIY (but always take the easy route). You’re into some technical stuff! Anyway, did the goby ever get found? And do you have a recent pic of the in wall tank from the office? I wasn’t going through 65 tabs to find it.

Hey @ScottR ,
I always reflect that as much as I love the aquariums (when they are doing well), they are not really the driver Hobby.
My passion for Building (anything) is the driver, and Aquarium Hobby really gives plenty of opportunities across all disciplines.

As far as Photo of the In-wall Tank, this might better (A full 360 degree Tour) of the Whole Basement Man Cave Setup.

Thought I'd do this as a BEFORE I install the Water Changer (Reference).
BEFORE I TIDY UP
up the Wiring which has become a Hacked-Together Work in Progress Mess.

Take care, and thanks for the Compliment.
NO THE GOBY WAS NEVER FOUND (My Theory is he was so small and the Return Pump had a foam sleeve, bit loose, he wiggled his way in there, and got The Molinex Blender Treatment :( )

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @ScottR ,
I always reflect that as much as I love the aquariums (when they are doing well), they are not really the driver Hobby.
My passion for Building (anything) is the driver, and Aquarium Hobby really gives plenty of opportunities across all disciplines.

As far as Photo of the In-wall Tank, this might better (A full 360 degree Tour) of the Whole Basement Man Cave Setup.

Thought I'd do this as a BEFORE I install the Water Changer (Reference).
BEFORE I TIDY UP
up the Wiring which has become a Hacked-Together Work in Progress Mess.

Take care, and thanks for the Compliment.
NO THE GOBY WAS NEVER FOUND (My Theory is he was so small and the Return Pump had a foam sleeve, bit loose, he wiggled his way in there, and got The Molinex Blender Treatment :( )

Looks nice. How’s the heath on all the SPS frags? They’re not easy in a young tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back