★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** I Feel Lost....No More Water changes **

TANK MATE Mega (Water Changer) INSTALLED & RUNNING

2019-06-20_TankMateMega-Installed.jpg

It works Perfectly as designed....(Dial up Water changes, or Auto Scheduled Daily)

It's a weird Feeling. No more Water changes for 3 TANKS (in an Instant)....

Not even making New Salt Water since I have 2 Months in the Reservoir.

Now, I'm just left with Water Testing......And that I will do, to see what the impact is of Daisy Changing all 3 tanks.

ONWARD...
Awesome
Yes, reefing is boring sometimes.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome
Yes, reefing is boring sometimes.
Thanks Janci, I appreciate the comment very much.

Not boring YET!! So I can get back to reading all the Exciting Thread's I'm behind on.

I thought I covered all FailSafe Stuff.

Guess who I found hanging around the Float Sensor in the Frag Tank?

2019-06-20_FloatSensorUrchinGuard.jpg

The Program Logic would handle him, but since Water Changes will run Un-watched (Best to make things Bullet Proof)

So I built a mini URCHIN Guard Cage around The FLOAT Sensor.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not boring YET!! So I can get back to reading all the Exciting Thread's I'm behind on.

The Program Logic would handle him, but since Water Changes will run Un-watched (Best to make things Bullet Proof)

Haha. Those urchins are a pain.
I have mine in the sump now. I cannot handle him anymore in the display, modifying the view every day.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are a pain, but it is kind of funny. Nice of him to help you test it all out.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a pain, but it is kind of funny. Nice of him to help you test it all out.
I agree @NY_Caveman (I never knew I had a test Buddy Urchin). Glad he actually did that right in front of me. Worse if I was on Vacation, watching my Video Cam.
I have to do the same for the TOP UP float (Cage). He can't really reach it, but you never know. IF HE DOES, ATO will keep Filling till it reaches the FailSafe (MaxTopUp value)/

I actually am trying to find where I put those (Teflon Wrap, Urchin Guards for power cords).
Every Hydor Koralia Pump comes with one. They wrap around the power cords (under water Part) and Urchin can't chew thru it.

My Urchin years ago, Ate all the Insulation off my Heater Cord. Tank went 110Volt LIVE. (I GOT ZAPPED BIG TIME (finger tip), reaching into SUMP)

GLAD I Wasn't ARM DEEP in Tank when he took the last bite (It could have killed me. Not joking)

Since that Day, all my DT's and Sumps, have a Titanium Grounding Probes (and all my outlets are GFCI)

Without a Grounding Probe, a GFCI won't Trip if it's a TWO PRONG AC device...Like Heater, Some Pumps.... (since no GROUND).

I have a Degree in Electrical Engineering, and didn't know that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STILL NOT BORING [*Water Changes HALTED*] ((( Frag Tank Phosphate ** SUPER HIGH ** )) Solution *DIY GFO Reactor **

I'm still not 100% sure what happen, but when I measured the Phosphates in my Frag Tank (which hasn't been maintained at all for Months), the Phosphates LEVEL was OVER ANY Test Kit I have (Both Hanna's)

...Explains, why any junk Frag I threw in there didn't last long.

I couldn't use the Water Changer anymore, since FRAG TANK WATER would go into my LPS Tank (Which has P=0.32...and goal of Water Changer was to add better Water, to bring P down slowly)

So I drained 35 Gal Frag Tank 95% (and put in new SALT Water), leaving just enough water so I didn't have to remove the one Blue Green Chromis Fish, The Urchin and Snails.
I Also didn't Drain the Filter Box Compartment.

After Water Mixed up for a day I test P again. P=0.66 (after 95% water change)!!!

What the Heck!!!
That's when I discovered, Deep in my Filter Box there were 2 OLD Media Bag (ChemiPure). SO I GUESS they were loaded with PHOSPHATE?? and Mixed into the water?? (Possible???)

OR maybe the P was just Super High in the Left over 2 Gallons of Water, since the fish was in there and No Skimmer on the Frag tank.

I couldn't throw out 34 Gallons of New Salt Water. Nitrates were perfect at N=7ppm

So one option was to run GFO (RowaPhos), but my two TLF Reactors were in use.
Wasn't going to buy another just for a single cleanup.

SO I MADE A MEDIA REACTOR one, from Stuff kicking around to run on a MaxiJet 400 Pump.
I first tried a Plastic Water Bottle, then I discovered an OLD DI Filter Canister (Which Was Perfect for hose connections/Valve, Even a FilterMembrane on TOP/BOTTOM, )
2019-06-22_DIY-GFO-MediaReator.jpg

Installed, and can't wait to see if P goes down (So I can start using the Water Changer).

2019-06-22_FragTankDIY-GFO-ReactorInstalled.jpg

Actully, I'm MORE Proud of this (Quick HACK) than my Water Changer. It may stay in Frag Tank for some Light Phosphate Cleanup. Or use Carbon in it.

Can't wait for things to GET BORING!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OFF to a MEGA START ( Daily Triple Tank Water Changes Starting ) Sacrifice Frags are IN.

The ROWAphos and the DIY Reactor worked!!

My Phostphates dropped from 0.66 to 0.1

The Tanks are Lined up nicely on Water Chemistry.

I've started a Tracking Whiteboard just till I understand the impact and to watch things closely.
2019-06-24_TankMateMegaStart-WhiteBoard.jpg

And to Keep things on track for ALL 3 Tanks,
I installed and configured the Tank Mate Maintenance Minder Code (@Rakie and @NY_Caveman, along with two other reefers worked on the TANK Mate Minder project with me). I build one for each, but I don't thing they got around to using theirs. (Hoping this inspires them what A Mate Can do)

So now the Tank Mate is it's a DUAL Purpose Controller

I won't get into any details but The Minder Code simply Tracks and Reminds me of things I need to do that are Important, and Regular.
I have 10 STATUS LEDS on TOP that are for the 10 Possible Minders.

These are what I am starting with.
2019-06-24_TankMateMegaStart-MaintenanceMinders2.jpg

And what better way to see if things are going Well than TWO NEW Sacrifice Frags.
Both Miyagi Torts Generously Donated by @tenurepro

2019-06-24_TankMateMegaStart-Miyagi-FragTank2.jpg

2019-06-24_TankMateMegaStart-Miyagi-SPSTank2.jpg

I'll post LATER an Updated Photo from Tank #3 (The LPS Tank).
I pruned and did some tidy up. Sold off about 30 Mushrooms, and got some new stuff.
It's not fully recovered from the Alk Spike but getting There.

Wish me luck. I really need a break after all the Years of SPS setbacks.

If this fails, I'm not sure what I will do.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Sold off about 30 Mushrooms, and got some new stuff. If this fails, I'm not sure what I will do."

You'll sell more mushrooms, and raise the price of that gold hammer to $150+ per head, or $374.78 CAD and sell those too.

I will make you a farmer !

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple more comments on the NEAR TOTAL Automation Journey. (Lighting and Phosphates)

This weekend I visited a New Coral Store where I met a PRO Reefer. Who's been successfully cultivating HIGH END SPS for over 2 decades.
I came out of that discussion with two Targets for my Test Run.

For Lighting I'm stepping away from Whimpy PARS...which I have always done since I worried about burning Corals.
Nothing Crazy, but I borrowed a Par Meter and set up all my 3 Tanks to have PAR in the Range of 200-325 (Bottom, to Top of Rocks, or a Frag Rack Level).

Till now I was more like 150-250, and not all lighting systems on during PEAK PHOTO PERIOD. ( I still will ramp up and down)
Photo Period I will bring up Manually, but I will Ramp up Intensity to this level AUTMATICALY by Acclimation Program over Next 6 Weeks.

And for PHOSPHATES my target will be P Stable between 0.04-0.06...which will be achived using RHOWAphos.
That is one thing the Pro Reefer highly recommended.

As Far as NITRATE....who cares. (Whatever the Tanks like running at, which for me in N=25++ (for SPS/LPS Tank) and N=10 (for Frag Tank)

For FLOW. The LPS Tank is Medium/LOW. The SPS Tank Aggressive, and the Frag Tank in between.

and LAST BUT NOT LEAST.....No daily Additives, Coral Foods, if I get back into Aminos, it will be Automated at regular Light Dosing.

That's it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Sold off about 30 Mushrooms, and got some new stuff. If this fails, I'm not sure what I will do."

You'll sell more mushrooms, and raise the price of that gold hammer to $150+ per head, or $374.78 CAD and sell those too.

I will make you a farmer !
I hear you. Sorry to say..... but the Hammer nearly died, with the Alk Aftershock. It's recovering but slowly (fingers crossed). I lost one torch, and one Trumpet Colony.

But 100% for sure. I'm doing well with my Shroom infestation. I sold 30 (low price, but quantity helps) but still have about 50 left and they keep coming back, no matter how much I hack, cut, rip them out.
So with the money I bought two NEW really nice shrooms (Beautiful Royal Blue, and a Gold Citrus) , since my Tank just grows them like weeds.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrooms might be a pink St Thomas. Those would sell here for probably $75-100 retail for a smaller one, and Cali reefers are cheapskates. You undervalue that guy!

Hammers come back, don't worry about that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 Fish Made it Out of QT (One is a Pair!!)

Good News on QT. The Copperband Butterfly got a spot of what looked like Ich, but I treated with copper and then did TTM.
He just made it into my LPS/Kitchen Tank.

The Spotbreast Angel (King of the Tank) is playing Dominance Thing. (But it's slowing down)
2019-06-29_CopperBand-KitchenTank-AngelAlpha.jpg

I trained the Copperband to Eat both Frozen, and Mastik From a Shell.
He ate Frozen on First day but STOPPED (due to the Angel).

At least he sneaks in a meal from the Shell (when Angel isn't looking)

AND the Purple Fire Fish, actually Spend 8 weeks in QT (just because i was busy).
I am hesitant to put them into my SPS tank DT AREA, so for now they are in the Refuge Chamber of Sump.
(ADDING NUTRIENTS, and on their own)
2019-06-29-PurpleFireFish-SPS-Refuge.jpg

They May stay in Sump, since they really get along, and I can see them OUT ALL THE TIME.

I added the Small Tuxedo Urchin, some Snails, and Tiny Hermits to keep things tidy.

Makes the SUMP more than Just a SUMP!!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picasso Clownfish (Still in QT) Training on BTA

Waiting Patiently for Clowns to Host the BTA.
Then they go into the Sump Refuge (With or WithOut the Firefish)

2019-06-29_PicassoClownFishQT-BTA.jpg

Anyone know any Trickd for Getting Clowns to HOST? I tried putting Food into the Anemone (Clowns go in to sniff, and then leave).

These are Captive Bred Clowns....So may take Longer. IF Ever.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CHANGE OF PLANS ( 3QT's is Better than 2) OFF

I was shutting down the 2 QT's from the FireFish and the Copperband.

Hated Topping up Water, Keeping Track of Pollutants, Feeding 3 Extra Tanks.

So I decided to Shut Them ALL DOWN.

2019-06-30_3QT-ShutDown.jpg

The Water in FRAG TANK was Same Parameters and TEMP as the Clown QT.

Simple Move. (1 Rock with the Anemome, and 2 Fish quick Aclimation. along with a Conch, Snails, and Crab)

2019-06-30_ClownInFragTank.jpg

PERFECT SETUP for Clown since Bigger...and (Top Up Included. Daily Water Changes Included)

The Frag Tank Has Urchin, Snails, and A Mean (tiny) Blue Green Chromis.

If the Chromis gives me any Trouble. He's gone!!

(And Even Better. Better Lighting for Anemone.....and (why not) Clowns Stay in Frag Tank for Nutrients [PERMANETELY] )

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(And Even Better. Better Lighting for Anemone.....and (why not) Clowns Stay in Frag Tank for Nutrients [PERMANETELY] )

This sounds like a great option to me. Most very successful frag tanks include a few fish, typically fish that "work" like a 6 line wrasse for pests, and tangs for algae.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a great option for me. Most very successful frag tanks include a few fish, typically fish that "work" like a 6 line wrasse for pests, and tangs for algae.

Yup. Go for it!

And I got INSPIRED to Complete the Frag Tank AUTOMATION ( Why Not 100%)

FIRST ( Auto Feeder ) For Flakes ( Clown and Chromis Eat Flake)....Anemone will get some, and CUC.

2019-06-30_FragTank-AutoFeeder.jpg

When I have Time, I can throw in some Frozen Passing by to feed the DT's

But one more thing!!!!!

Even now with the Water Changes from SPS DT, the ALK is falling a tiny bit behind (That may change as Water Changes become Regular)

But it's only 1 FRAG right now.

So this will Make the FRAG TANK (100% Automated) MY NEXT DIY PROJECT

Introducing....
2019-06-30_TankMateMiniTwoPart.jpg

A Standalone Two Part Doser ( ESV Part A/B Containers included)

I just need to wire it up....I have the CODE.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a great option to me. Most very successful frag tanks include a few fish, typically fish that "work" like a 6 line wrasse for pests, and tangs for algae.
Agree. More fish later. For now I want to watch the Water Changer Impacts.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. I know you have fish in your Frag Tank.
I thought you meant. Add an Anemone to your setup.

I don't have any fish in my frag tank actually, just some CUC! I'm getting my first nem in a month or so actually, I've been waiting patiently for a nice one from a buddy. Frag tank is going to get a small redesign and most my corals will move to 3" tiles, and I'll be keeping mostly SPS in there again, and a few acans.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back