★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any fish in my frag tank actually, just some CUC! I'm getting my first nem in a month or so actually, I've been waiting patiently for a nice one from a buddy. Frag tank is going to get a small redesign and most my corals will move to 3" tiles, and I'll be keeping mostly SPS in there again, and a few acans.
Can't wait to see your new setup. I guess things are getting back to normal?
Maybe you are posting on your thread, but I haven't gotten an AutoEmail notice in Ages.
I will have lots of time on my Hands Very Shortly (to Read other threads). Actually I already have time.
Soon I will get back into SPS too (only when I trust that the will Live).

You know what's weird. All my original SPS that I put into the Tank about a year ago (are still alive/UN-DAMAGED). Pink Cadilac, Red Planet, and a Few other HigherEnd Frags like the PapiChuo.
They haven't grow very much over the while, but have kept color.
Maybe Slow Growing SPS (have Slower metabolism or something), so they don't get Hit as Hard from Instability like Faster Growing SPS.
Just a Dumb theory to explain what I am noticing.

Another Theory, is THEY GOT ACCLIMATED to my ABUSE :)

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thread has at least 1 update per day, if not 2-3, and a bunch of other responses. I don't get notifications for almost anybody either, and I'm not sure why!

Some corals really take their time, once in awhile you'll have some that barely do anything, or sit brown without a bit of growth for about a year, then suddenly spring to life. Who knows what it could be honestly, corals are weird lol

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FRAG TANK ( Newbies Frags )

I used to say words like "Test Frag" "Sacrifice Frags", and they truely were Sacrifices.....since they vaporized in the Frag Tank.

NOW my confidence is much Higher with the Water Changer, and the New Frag Tank Setup.

@tenurepro needed a backup bank, and provided these....FRESH CUT FRAGS.

2019-06-30_Amro-Frag-FragTank.jpg

Freshly mounted on Plugs (working on All ID Names)

#1) PacMac
#2) ______
#3) _______
#4) _______
#5) Red Dragon
#6) Miyagi Tort
#7) _______
#8) _______
#9) _______
#10) _______
#11) _______
#12) _______

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tenurepro Ark ;)

#1) PacMac
#2) shockaholic
#3) Acropora tenuis [blue/turquoise]
#4) Bonsai Valida
#5) Red Dragon
#6) Miyagi Tort
#7) RR Orange Passion
#8) Bonsai Valida
#9) ORA Red planet
#10) RR pink Cadillac
#11) Blue berry wine
#12) Bonsai Valida

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tenurepro Ark ;)

#1) PacMac
#2) shockaholic
#3) Acropora tenuis [blue/turquoise]
#4) Bonsai Valida
#5) Red Dragon
#6) Miyagi Tort
#7) RR Orange Passion
#8) Bonsai Valida
#9) ORA Red planet
#10) RR pink Cadillac
#11) Blue berry wine
#12) Bonsai Valida

Wow. Only the Best Stuff eh?
THANKS @tenurepro

Frag Tank Looks Great with the Frags. (TO BE HONEST. Better than my SPS DT for Sps)
2019-06-30_FragTankMoreCrewRock.jpg

Even the Blue Green Chromis (bully) Also donated by @tenurepro (Evicted from his Tank), is now Out and FRIENDLY with the Clowns.

The Anemone looks healthier too. (But I was Terrified that the Urchin, ON-RIGHT would damage the Nem) READ up on it.... SAFE!!.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good @WallyB and @tenurepro -- By the which, which RR Orange Passion is that? I'm ASSUMING it's RR Canada?

And once your tank is fully stable and working for you, you won't have any issues at all Wally.

Yep RR Canada. Honestly, the RR OP is killer; my favorite. I see a lot of hype over WD but haven’t seen any that look as nice as an OP in person

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TERRIBLE (Dominant Angel Fish) IN Kitchen LPS Tank
** I hope I saved the COPPERBAND IN TIME **

The Angelfish wouldn't let the Copperband go anywhere in the LPS Tank (but I thought it would pass).

I went away for 3 days and when I got home the Copperband was still in his Corner.
HE WOULDN'T EAT anything (after being so hungry and eager for Food in QT).

HIM Stuck in his Corner WAS A EASY NET!!! and I moved him to the Frag Tank (For Good).

2019-07-04_RescuedCopperbandButterfly.jpg

He appears to be in Shock/Broken by The Angel (Scared to Approach his Favorite Mastik Food in Shell)

Hoping he recovers...and does well in the Frag Tank, which has nice Fish, Live Copepods (and Nice Frags too.....which appear to be doing Fine)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he should do well in the frag tank. It's a shame how sometimes fish can just suck like that and be a jerk to something for little/no reason. We all have it now and again, and again, and again -_-

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he should do well in the frag tank. It's a shame how sometimes fish can just suck like that and be a jerk to something for little/no reason. We all have it now and again, and again, and again -_-
I agree with your that Copperband will be fine. Lights Just went out, and My Night Vision Cam shows him wandering carefully around (and inspecting the Rocks for munchies)

But that Angel is a ******, and he might have to go. He is too big for the Tank (and plenty of room for a few small/medium Colorful fish with him Gone)
Yet I better not be hasty, since it was the Angel who actually calmed the Tank Down (When I had fist fights (pecking) going on Between the Chromis)
You sometime need one Fish in Charge. (He accepted the Last Copperband...Hardly noticed it....This one didn't work out)

The tank looked So much better with the Copperband in there (but seeing him cowering in the Corner was SAD)
.....I couldn't watch anymore (maybe it needed more time...I lost Patience for a Ich QT Cured Fish)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FRAG TANK (SPS PE) Looking Good :)

2019-07-04_FragTankSPSpe.jpg

The PE is better than I normally get in my DT.
Geez!! I am starting to Trust my Frag tank more than my DT

Bit Early to Confirm 100%, but I'll take anything.

Weird Part is Frag Tank is getting water From DT (With Water Changer).
(so What is the Secret Recipe) Lighting? Hands off? Flow? Daily Water Changes? Keeping P under Control with RowaPhos? All the the above? Something else?

Or Nothing Special (just the fact that I stopped adding Additives, and letting All Tanks Get Super Stable)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReStart on ( SPS DT and Frag Tank )

I decided to give my 110 Gal DT a fresh Start.
LEFT only the Good MOUNTED Frag (which are Original Vetrans)

2019-07-07_0-110G-SPS-FTS-NewMegaStart.jpg

Hard to See the SPS but they are there (Scorpion, PapiChulo, BlueBerry Wine, Pink Cadilac, Red Planet, and a few others)

I moved the whole LOT of Loose Frags including in the Tray of Cyphastreas to the FRAG TANK.
2019-07-07_35GalFragTank-MegaStart.jpg

I also brought over one of my smaller Gyre Pumps (CP40) over to the Frag Tank for better Wider flow.

I'll grow THE SPS FRAGS out
and move the one I like back to DT.

ONLY BAD NEWS (is one of the New SPS Rtn's overnight....The Pacman)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag TANK (NEEDS A DOSER) Alk Dropping Daily ( Starting "Tank Mate TRINITY Doser" )

I thought I automated things enough with the Water Changer (Both DT's having a Doser).

Appears NOT (Especially after moving all the Frags into Frag Tank).

Daily The ALK is dropping about 0.25 dKH (and I need to add ESV Two Part 2.5 ml a day to Keep Stable)

I HATE MANUAL Dosing, and I don't want the Frags to get Hurt.

Thus....BUILDING THIS....

TANK MATE (TRINITY) Doser

I was going to go with JUST 2 Heads for ESV two Part, but a 3rd one BARELY Squeezed into the CASE I chose.
3rd Head will be for WHATEVER (Maybe Aminos)

Just Started the Hardware.

2019-07-09_TankMateTrinityDoser-1.jpg

The Case is made from a CAR HEADLIGHT Bulb Packaging. (I never throw out nice Clear/Acrylic anything)

Carved to Death with a Dremil (I felt like a dentist when I was done the Case Carving), then I finished chunking out plastic with a Fraging Tool/Cutting Pliers.
2019-07-09_TankMateTrinityDoser-2.jpg

Hardest Part is done. Some fine grinding left, and I tackle the Electronics (CODE I HAVE from Past DIY 5 Head Doser)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PIN POINT Salinity Monitor (TO THE RESCUE) Change in Water Changer (Float Sensor Logic)

So the Water Changer has been running for a Few Weeks. I thought things were going well, and in General They have.

However that Logic I added to CUT Off Top up (For Extra Safety) with the Float Switches wasn't IDEAL.
IT WAS CUTTING OFF the Water Change Volume (too soon). AND THREFORE THE ATO would TOP UP with Fresh Water.

DOING Water Changes by PURE Volume (Calibrated Pumps) is DEAD on ACCURATE.

I changed to Program Logic to only use the Float Sensors as Safety CHECKS ONLY.

The result of the TOO EARLY Water Change STOP was a Drop in Salinity of all my Tanks.
My Larger 110 DT dropped from 1.026 (35) down to 1.024(49), and a bit lower in my Smaller 35 Gal Frag Tank.

So that Dusty PINPOINT Salinity Monitor that I haven't used for Ages is Back in Business. (To Slow Drip my Salinity back to Spec)
2019-07-11_SaltWaterDrip-PinPointSalinityMonitor.jpg

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EEEEK!!! (URCHIN SWAP TIME...Trial)

Ok. The BIG Urchin is TICKING ME OFF.

I had no issues with him picking up Shells.....BUT TODAY.....I found 4 of my Frags picked up and dropped in bad places.
One frag must have been transported before today, since I found it in a corner damaged.

And he keeps going back to my Cyphastrea Tray to do whatever (I'm woried he is damaging them)

2019-07-12_BigUrchinFragTank.jpg

As soon as he get's off my Cyphatreas (don't want to rip him off).......

He will be put into my Refuge of my Sump (where the Firefish are)
2019-07-12_LittleUrchinSumpRefuge.jpg

and I swap him with the small Tuxedo urchin in there.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to go back and read this thread in its entirety, but yes, I do believe we would be very good friends :)
I like friends. Welcome @Ross B Reef'n

Wish my SPS were friends that lasted. Till recently no luck....
However stay tuned. I got some SPS friends today, and am about to Mount them in DT along with a few Selects from Frag Tank.

Restoration is under way for 110 G SPS only Tank. (NEXT PHOTO after LPS Tank #1)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TRIPLE RESTART ( #1 LPS TANK has Recovered )...After *NEW* Triple-Water Changer Setup

I'll start with the Upstairs 90 Gal Kitchen Tank.

It has been a SLOW and PAINFUL/Patient recovery after the BIG ALK SPIKE few months back on the Kitchen LPS Tank.

The Green Trumpets (far Left) I thought I would save....They NEVER MADE IT. (one green spec is all that's left)
The Yellow Aussie Hammer (middle dark spot) is barely a few
tentacles.

Strange but some of the Frogspawn Heads (middle) Fully recovered, and yet some are just peeking out (left and Top Right). (More time needed)

I pruned, sold, and bought with Credit and Some Minor Cash some filler LPS, some Zoas, and Shrooms.

This is the LPS Kitchen Tank (worth looking at again)...Proud of it again.

48269026747_0b9bc137b4_k.jpg

I'll post a close up of Three Special Corals that really get my attention.

-> At the Bottom/Middle is an Orange Mushroom Pair (Citrus Mushroom)...Photo doesn't do justice.

->
Then Just left the Citris is an Amazing (Cycloseris/Fungia)..A plate Coral but grows on Branching Stems
............which looks like nothing under white light, but A Frigg'n Vegas Neon Sign under Blue Lights.

-> and on Bottom right (Is a Royal Blue Mushroom), that makes my other Blue/Purple mushrooms on left, seem So-So)...Can't wait for it to multiply.

And special mention [Newbies]....Top Left is a Favorite (The Golden Aussie Torch), CENTER (Pink Bubble LPS), and (A bi-color Hammer)

and as far as Fish Go....The Beautiful Helfrichi-Fire Fish is OUT on schedule (middle, just above the Citrus Shrooms).
He is my
most favourite FISH OF ALL TIME. (Tiny...Gentile Swimmer, and that Bobbing Yellow head can be seen miles away)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
( TANK #2 110 Gal SPS) Reno - ( Frag Put Back ) Frag Tank SELECTS and a Few Newbies

I pick the Healthiest Frags from the Frag Tank and mounted them in the SPS DT.

Quick photo, not the best Lighting/Color Representation....but I needed a photo after Fresh Mounts (To ensure I notice if any Frags Fall)

48270407731_7fbd517762_h.jpg

Reason for Hasty Move of Frags back to DT.....,
I lost a bit of Trust in the Frag Tank, and Gained Trust in the SPS DT after observation over last while.

I think the Better DT performance is...Nutrients (fish), Better Random/Strong Flow, and DT has T5 Lighting, while Frag Tank has 2 Gen 1 Radions...I don't know best setting

I'll name the SPS later, but I'm really excited I got the another Tiny (Red Ferari Frag, to replace the one I lost recently). I haven't seen one for over a year.
Another Worthy mention is the Jason Fox Brain Freeze Monti (on Far Right), and somewhere in the layout is a Marvin the Martian, a Beautiful New Tenius, and @tenurepro 's Fancy Selects.

Back