★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Really is perfect.
Yes....Things turned out.
ALREADY THE TANK has Calmed down so much. No more Terror during Feeding.
Even the Helfrichi Firefish is hanging out much more.

So the with the Credit for the Angel, I was in luck for Selection.
2019-07-17_BigAlsTangCopperband.jpg

I brought my own Food (Flake, Frozen and Spirulina Tabs) and looked for the Healthiest BEST EATERS.

And came hoe with THESE two Fish for the Kitchen Tank (Nothing Exciting but Practical Choices)
( My choice on Copperband....Family wanted A Yellow Tang like I have in my Office Tank)
2019-07-17_NewTangCopperband.jpg

Actually my wife wanted me to get a Powder Blue Tang, but after owing one for over a Decade....passed on that Idea.
There was another Fish I considered briefly ( Mustard Tang ), but too pricey.

TTM QT has Started.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
++ POSITIVELY ++ Puzzling (( Could this be TRUE?? ))) All Corals Opening up Today INSTANTLY (Angel Gone?)

If this turns out to be True.......Absolutely Amazing after so much wondering for so Long.

I mentioned just a day or two ago..... that I was trying to adjust my lighting to help my recovering LPS and Other Corals like Richordia's, Zoa's.

Today the many Corals sprung back!!! And my torches which would open and close all day long for unknown reasons were open all day. Still open at Actinic Light Time.

TODAY is the FIRST DAY ANGEL is Gone!!!

Maybe due to his Size I wasn't feeding him enough, and he was nipping at the Corals and irritating them.
I never paid attention.

WOW!! What Luck if True. ( Wonder if the Struggling Aussie Aussie Golden Hammer comes back now....going to check on him now.))

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels nip, especially as they get older ... hmmm you also have an an angle in the sps tank?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels nip, especially as they get older ... hmmm you also have an an angle in the sps tank?
Yes, and same species too.
I still have your trap......thinking....thinking about a possible removal before he get too big.
For now watching closely....Hoping no interest in SPS nipping.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and same species too.
I still have your trap......thinking....thinking about a possible removal before he get too big.
For now watching closely....Hoping no interest in SPS nipping.

I would be weary with any angel in a sps tank honestly. Sure some people claim that a few species are ‘reef space’ but I think these species are omnivores at best - the evolutionary history of this group clearly suggests that polyp eating was an ancestral trait.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be weary with any angel in a sps tank honestly. Sure some people claim that a few species are ‘reef space’ but I think these species are omnivores at best - the evolutionary history of this group clearly suggests that polyp eating was an ancestral trait.
Groan!!! Best to do the right thing...And Get him out sooner than Later.
(even though I like the fish....For now)...I also liked the other Angel (Monster) when he was baby cute.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ABANDON SHIP!! (Frag Tank Not Ready) DT SPS Catalog

Another SPS bleached Overnight in the Frag Tank (Pink Cadillac :( ..Darn...Wish I move it Earlier).
Not sure why? Could have been me raising Salinity too quick (I went super slow on DT Raise)

Pulling out the Remaining SPS till things are Settled.

Here is the DT SPS Catalog (90% done for NameList)
48327172447_0f7e79dd66_h.jpg

Really Happy with the SPS Frag-Collection/Tank-Look (Yes...overcrowded for Long Term....Don't Care!!..for Now)

WishList: To Complete (PacMan, RedDragon, someday a SSC, FoxFlame, and maybe Someday an Enchinata)

Long Term Plan: (Add some Caphatrea Covered Rock Islands on The Glass Bottom Space)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEWBIE Frags (Reference Photo)

Not award winning Photo's but hope down the road these NEW FRAGS Grow up worthy of Better Photos.

48334744226_d2beacf561_c.jpg

Actually.......I hope these Survive the next week or so :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHY My FRAG Tank (Isn't doing Well) I THINK

So the Frag Tank continues to be Ho Hum... (Even with the Water changer, which brings in Nutrients and Trace Elements)

I put on a PH probe and the PH has dropped to 7.5 (compared to my Tank which is around 7.7-8.0)

That's probably a few reasons.

#1) I'm not dosing A/B regularly [Doser not built yet].... (which would bring up PH a bit....and also keep Alk stable)
#2) Also my Tank has a Skimmer that runs off Fresh Air Line (Frag Tank Doesn't)....

-> One Fix would be a CO2 scrubber, since I'm not going to add a skimmer for a 35 G FT

-> Another option could be KALK

We'll see what I come up with for the Long Term (First is to see effect of daily dosing)....and to make any solution work, Frag Tank needs more frags (for Consumption of Alk...so I can dose more A/B or Kalk)

Matthew Russell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my name is Wally.

Don't know how to start this Build Thread, since I have so much to share.
I'll do an intro, and see what folks are Interested in, and Expand, Elaborate, from there.

I've been enjoying the Reef Hobby for the last 20+ years. Started simple and kept going.

I'm an Electrical / IT Software Systems Engineer and this Hobby has drawn me for all the wonderful things you can do Technologically. I'm both passionate in DIY stuff, and the challenge of Reef Building.

This thread is about IN PROGRESSS REBUILT/UPGRADE That started Last October after a Basement Flood (not a tank flood but some in Wall Copper Plumbing). Nothing more perfect to convince Family and WIFE to start a new Tank. In return they got a nice Rec-Room Home Theatre, next to my office.

So in the thread I'll show some lead up to this last weekend (when I finally got my Rock Work Done). Perfect point at to start this Build Thread since Next will be more fish, and very shortly I'll start the Corals (which will be SPS ONLY).

All BUILD threads Start with a TANK....So here is my Custom Built Dream Tank. (arrived last year)

110 Gallons, 43 inches (not 46) Wide, 24" Deep, and 22" High. EuroTrim-Top-Trim, Starphire Glass (Front and Right), External Overflow. (Black Silicone, Except Clear on Right Front Corner)
25228597477_66a2690e70_z.jpg

Let's START with Today.

I just filmed my New Rock Setup. I've had these rocks for about 5 years, and after the Flood I put them in a Holding Tank to rid them of old residue, Algae Etc (IN A DARK TANK).

Here is the Tank in it's LOCATION (My Basement Home Office)

40469794061_117f82f114_b.jpg

Behind that Tank is my FISH ROOM, or Sump Room, or what I call my BLUE ROOM (Simple Name for Amazon Alexa Automation)

Another name I came up with is...

39083189940_95a6bc6f80_m.jpg

...Which is the Theme of this thread (I'll Explain more as I go on)

This room took me 3 Months to Build....It used to hold a 65 Gallon tank.

Here is a video of Part of the Build Stages.

I'll still doing some Final Wiring, and setting up Dosing for the SPS Tank.

The whole room is Controlled by an Simple Apex Jr (EB8's, PM2, VDM's, etc)

The Lighting Fixture for this Tank I build from Scratch, using Wood, Endcaps, Reflectors.....and it's connected to 4 HEP Ballasts (3 Dimmable).

39999042295_33fe0a3a7e_c.jpg

This time I spend hours planning and Days doing Super Neat Wiring, all hidden in walls, and Easy Acceess for maintenance.

SO THAT IS THE High Level INTRO.......Let's take a small step Back.

This is Just after the Renovation Started [NOV 2017] (Ripping out the 65 Gallon Tank)

39284287132_f45b2c52fc.jpg

And even Farther Back in Time...

This Photo show's my Past to Renovation of this room...THINGS didn't start this tidy.

24578603397_f778aeea5a_b.jpg

One more thing, that will be part of the New Build. (A complimentary DIY Controller)

34424778772_4c73bbcda9_z.jpg

Here is the back side with all the Features.
34586829825_ce3ae84dc6_c.jpg

It currently not hooked up, but was, and will be. (It does more than ADVANCED Dosing, it does my water changes, and more)

AND LAST but NOT Least....The DIY SUMP (with Built in Algae Scrubber)

Here is my old Design Spec.

42315006861_10a351a7e9_z.jpg

And Here is the First TEST run

Before I close this FIRST INTRO POST.

You may have or not have noticed, the SUMP room is a TWO SUMP ROOM.

Directly above that Sump room, and wired and Pumbled between two floors
is My 17 Year old 90 Gallon Kitchen Tank. (LPS Dominant).

27901389099_505560d1bf_o.jpg

That's it for my Intro. (kind of gives you and idea of where I've been and where I'm going)

BTW. I've Tried and Failed TWO TIMES with SPS (Long Story, but I found out a reason, ....so hoping things go well this time)

I'll share more, as I continue this Journey....Which starts in about week when I start bringing in a Few Test SPS Frags.....and if they do well, more SPS.

Awesome build. Super clean

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last QT TTM #4 (Started) Copperband & Yellow Tang Healthy & Eatting
(3 More days to DT)

"DOUBLE" QT went without a Hitch this time, both fish stayed healthy and really got along nicely.

I think there is a benefit of doing double TTM (if fish get along).

They calm each other down, and become familiar with each other before entering a Hostile DT (together).
Also they learn eating habits from each other.

2019-07-26_TangAndCopperBandTTM4.jpg

Can't wait to get them into the Kitchen Tank (which is a bit dull after removing the Large Spotbreast Angel).

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EVERY HAVE......? One of those CHAIN REACTION (BAD DAYS)

First my EuroReef Skimmer Stopped. Impeller Failed (Core Swollen, which happens every few years)

Thought I had a spare. NOPE, package had last broken one.

2019-07-28_BadDay1.jpg

Then Removing the Skimmer, I TRIPPED the Ground Fault Interupt.

But GOUND FAULT BREAKER wouldn't Reset
(Went bad).....NO POWER in half my Systems.

DASH to Home Depot (JUST BEFORE CLOSING TIME), and Get Parts and replaced GGCI.

Now due to tanks Draining (Skimmer over-reacts, and dumps a FULL FILTHY Cup of Skimmage back into Sump)
That makes things worse!!

2019-07-28_BadDay2.jpg

Finally things stabilize, but I have no Skimmer for 2nd Sump
2019-07-28_BadDay2a.jpg

Have my Spare RLSS Skimmer, but SUMP needs to be modified.

Tear apart Rubbermaid Sump and Modify IT to Raise Simmer, and Different Baffle Setup.
Clean it too with opportunity.

Back in Business, 9 hours later.
2019-07-28_BadDay3.jpg

Kind of Happy at the end, since I've been wanting to get the RLSS running on one tank or the Other.

Now I can have a Spare EuroReef BODY to swap with the Other EuroReef to clean.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes glad you managed this unfortunate chain of events
Yup....At least the timing was good.......
I'll away on vacation next week....
and this won't happen when YOU get back from your vacation......AND WILL BE WATCHING MY TANKS

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm either (DARN LUCKY) or (DOOMED) or ( It's Nothing)
TTM Transfer OUT to DT ( 1/2 Done, and then HALTED)

Here what Happened. TTM #4 was completed and fish were ready to transfer to DT.

Before I started, I took good photo's of each fish and inspected. Nothing caught my attention, they looked Great.

So I caught the Copperband first. Got a 2nd close look at him in the clear container and he went into the Kitchen Tank.
He went in really happy, Loved the Live rock and abundance of life (started pecking and eating all over the place).
NO ANGEL this Time to Beat him up, and he ate frozen along with other fish :) :) :) (All went well)

I went back for the Yellow Tang. Bit of chase catching him in net....then I had him floating in the Tank, surrounded by Net....
Just as was going to scoop him into the container, LOOKING DIRECTLY ABOVE, I notice a Abnormal FLAKE on his Dorsal Fin. (only one Transparent flake, but one too many!!)

I left him in the Tank and took more photos. Nothing showed up, so I thought it might be debris.
But then ONE photo showed what I saw.

2019-07-29_TangSomethingOnFin.jpg

It could be nothing just a scratch from Net Chase
, DOUBT it's ICH due to a VERY PROPER TTM.

However it could be FLUKES, so just to be safe I started PRAZI Treatment.
Tomorrow I'll consider a Fresh Water DIP.

The LUCKY part is I didn't put the Tang into DT and then noticed his Flake on FIN (That would worry me to death (about DT), and I'd have no way to observe and Treat in QT anymore)

The DOOM Part is what if the Copperband has FLUKES and I already put him in DT.

Let's hope this is nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like damage from like you said, net chase. I can't say I've ever seen flukes that high up on the fins before.
Thanks @Fudsey for siding on my thinking (Catch Attempt Damage).
However no harm in the Tang staying in QT and having a Prazi Bath. First dose brings up treatment to 2.5ppm, and instructions say I should do one more dose in 3 days to bring up to 5.0ppm. (THat may not be needed if the Tangs Fin Nick Heals)
I actually stayed away from Tang today since anytime I got close, he bounced around the small QT like a ping pong ball (Could cause more damage to him).

I truly believe in the Value of doing TTM, however the only downside is 5 nettings, every 3 days which freaks out the fish.
He will be happy in the Bigger Kitchen DT full of live rock, and kind attention from Family.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANG UPDATE (LOOKING GOOD) after Prazi-Booster then Transfer to Clean QT with Melafix

The Tang still had the Spec on his Dorsal, so I did 2nd Prazi Dose for 5.0ppm (only 6 hours)

The spec on really close inspection looked more and more like a cut healing. I think it wasn't the a net cut, but probably from one of the Ornametal Caves (where he barely fit into opening)

Decided a clean QT is best option (to heal a cut). Last QT is filthy after 3 days and two fish.
2019-07-30_YellowTangDirtyTOCleanQTMelafix.jpg

And adding Melafix is great for wound healing.

This is only a few hours later in New QT/Melafix.

2019-07-30_TangInNewCleanQTwithHealingCutNoriFood.jpg

The nick is still there, but white scab is gone. (Doubt it was ich or fluke).

Feeding him lightly (only what he will consume to keep QT clean), and added NOri Feeder for balance nutrition.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANG UPDATE (LOOKING GOOD) after Prazi-Booster then Transfer to Clean QT with Melafix

The Tang still had the Spec on his Dorsal, so I did 2nd Prazi Dose for 5.0ppm (only 6 hours)

The spec on really close inspection looked more and more like a cut healing. I think it wasn't the a net cut, but probably from one of the Ornametal Caves (where he barely fit into opening)

Decided a clean QT is best option (to heal a cut). Last QT is filthy after 3 days and two fish.
2019-07-30_YellowTangDirtyTOCleanQTMelafix.jpg

And adding Melafix is great for wound healing.

This is only a few hours later in New QT/Melafix.

2019-07-30_TangInNewCleanQTwithHealingCutNoriFood.jpg

The nick is still there, but white scab is gone. (Doubt it was ich or fluke).

Feeding him lightly (only what he will consume to keep QT clean), and added NOri Feeder for balance nutrition.
Nice improvement, Wally!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back