★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, this seem to be one of a kind setup!
Really like the pics of your papi chulo with the corresponding parameters.
I saw something similar last week and it give good ideas as to how coloration can change depending on the chemistry. I might start to include such info in my pics for coral progression.
How does the scorpion frag from fragbox fare? Holding it's coloration? The pieces on the site always seem interesting.
Also any advice for cyano? The problem is recurrent in my tank.
Thanks!
Hey @sam.veilleux30 .... I see you wandered over to my Thread.
I'll be watching your Thread for The Papi Chulo Frag and your Growth, Colors, etc.
Great to compare as we take the Journey Together. Maybe you have some other Frags I have.

Here is a Photo I snagged after I picked up My Papi from Reef Raft Canada (20 minute Drive from my house)
Jason is the owner there, and he showed me the Original Colony (This it the Coloration and Structure)

2019-08-24_RRPapiChuloColony.jpg

You should check out Reef Raft Canada Facebook site. He has stuff out of this World.
Problem is, that the Really Good Stuff, has prices out of this Planet. Some nice stuff is Affordable (Barely)

Take care of the PapiChulo. I believe it's somewhat Rare. At least it looks great to us, which is More Important (than High End, just by Name or Demand).
Jason said most of the good Stuff he ship oversea's/Asia this was one of his quicker Sell outs.
It's Certainly my Favorite right now and we have each other for Species backup (Canada's Side).

As far as the Scorpion which I got From Frag Box. It was my favorite before the Papi came along.
Highly Recommended (if you can keep it Yellow).

I saw it degrading a couple of month ago. Really worried me so I start paying attention to Tank.
It is really recovering, after I stabilized my Tank with the Auto Water Changer.
All corals are improving since then.

I'll take a Fresh Photo of it, since I know it's better from a distance viewing.
These are some Snaps of got of Scorpion over last while.
2019-08-24_ScorpionProgress.jpg

As you can see, it was Spectacular Yellow went I got it.
Shifted to Green. But still nice with the Contrasting RED PE.
Yellow in Acros is a tough color to Keep. I was told Lighting (LED) Helps. Similar to trying to keep a Fox Flame Yellow Tipped.

This is a Great Aticle about SPS Coloration.
Read it. It helped me understand the challenges, and progression you have to make from Easy to Harder SPS.
https://reefbuilders.com/2008/09/03/guide-of-sps-coral-coloration-make-them-more-vivid-bright/
Like it says. Yellow is highly dependent on NO3 and PO4. I just solved PO4 with RhowaPhos. My N is like 25+ and I'm not worried and may never target to bring it down with any additives/reactors. Hoping the Water Changer lowers N over time.

For your Cyano Question. I did an experiment somewhere in this Thread.
I strongly Believe in Cyano Clean (Bacteria to out compete it), along with Siphoning the Cyano OUT OF TANK.
Here is a photo I posted earlier showing Treatment (From Outbreak to Sparkling Clean Tank)
2019-08-24_CyanoCleanTreamentExperiment.jpg

I don't believe in any other CHEMICAL treatment, like ChemiClean.

I also don't believe in blowing off the Cyano to spread all over. (Get it out of your system by Siphon Hose, during water Change)
Good Flow helps is keeping Cyano out of dead spots. Helps SPS grow too, and SPS grows Thicker/Stronger.
Also if you want to reduce Cyano, cut down any Red Lighting (if you have Reds turned up).

My Philosophy is "Cyano is Ugly, as it covers you rock and sand, and even worse when it starts to bubble".
However it's harmless to Fish and Corals. HERE IS PROOF.
This photo is of my Old Tank when I had a Major Cyano Outbreak (just after Blowing off some Cyano off rocks)
CyanoOutbreak.jpg

You can see that the Corals actually resisted any Cyano Growth.
That's Cyano Bloom I caused by Over Feeding Corals with Osyter Feast.
Frags went from Pale to Colorful, Rocks went from Clean to Cyano Covered.

I've had cyano a few times, and even NOW I got some starting up. Not worried, but paying attention.
It's part of a Tank Cycle (After Nutrient Increase, Bioload, or some other change). And it takes time for your tank to regulate itself. So Patience is key. Overreacting doesn't always help (for Long Term Success)
1.5-3 Months and it will go away (if you cut out what's fueling it).

All the best. See you here and on your thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALK ROBOT UPDATE ( Chassis Completed....Break Thru Idea leads to Design Change)

I've been quiet but Very Busy.

I actually finished the Chassis and it's working in Manual testing of parts, motors, etc.
Full Automotion Programming is going to be a Big Job.

The Robot is Starting to Look like a Slick Machine. But I won't be sharing any more Photo's/Videos till it's Finished.
I'm dying to show it, but it will take away from the Wow, seeing bits pieces of progress.

I will say this.....since I had a breakthrough today.
I was concerned that the Back and Forth Motion won't be enough to mix the Reagent with Tank Water for higher accuracy and consistency.
First Idea I came up with is Reverse the TEST. (Add Reagent First, then pour in Water 2nd. That would help)

The other problem I have with current design, is all that Back-And-Forth shaking to mix up the Reagent might damage the Motors, Structure over long term.
I couldn't figure out a Way to Tip the Vial Upside Down (with Cap on)....That would work. But No easy way. Actually in my mind IMPOSSIBLE (to twist on Cap, invert, with some kind of mechanism)

So while wandering the house Looking for Junk/reuse parts, I saw something that MAY solve the Mixing Problem.

It will work. Bit complicated to do (precision), but I did some manual Robotic Protyping and it might work.

Here is what the Breakthru Mix IDEA Part is.
BreakThruIdeaAlkRobot.jpg

Twisted Lawn Trimmer Nylon Line.

I can't say more.

Last edited:

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @sam.veilleux30 .... I see you wandered over to my Thread.
I'll be watching your Thread for The Papi Chulo Frag and your Growth, Colors, etc.
Great to compare as we take the Journey Together. Maybe you have some other Frags I have.

Here is a Photo I snagged after I picked up My Papi from Reef Raft Canada (20 minute Drive from my house)
Jason is the owner there, and he showed me the Original Colony (This it the Coloration and Structure)

2019-08-24_RRPapiChuloColony.jpg

You should check out Reef Raft Canada Facebook site. He has stuff out of this World.
Problem is, that the Really Good Stuff, has prices out of this Planet. Some nice stuff is Affordable (Barely)

Take care of the PapiChulo. I believe it's somewhat Rare. At least it looks great to us, which is More Important (than High End, just by Name or Demand).
Jason said most of the good Stuff he ship oversea's/Asia this was one of his quicker Sell outs.
It's Certainly my Favorite right now and we have each other for Species backup (Canada's Side).

As far as the Scorpion which I got From Frag Box. It was my favorite before the Papi came along.
Highly Recommended (if you can keep it Yellow).

I saw it degrading a couple of month ago. Really worried me so I start paying attention to Tank.
It is really recovering, after I stabilized my Tank with the Auto Water Changer.
All corals are improving since then.

I'll take a Fresh Photo of it, since I know it's better from a distance viewing.
These are some Snaps of got of Scorpion over last while.
2019-08-24_ScorpionProgress.jpg

As you can see, it was Spectacular Yellow went I got it.
Shifted to Green. But still nice with the Contrasting RED PE.
Yellow in Acros is a tough color to Keep. I was told Lighting (LED) Helps. Similar to trying to keep a Fox Flame Yellow Tipped.

This is a Great Aticle about SPS Coloration.
Read it. It helped me understand the challenges, and progression you have to make from Easy to Harder SPS.
https://reefbuilders.com/2008/09/03/guide-of-sps-coral-coloration-make-them-more-vivid-bright/
Like it says. Yellow is highly dependent on NO3 and PO4. I just solved PO4 with RhowaPhos. My N is like 25+ and I'm not worried and may never target to bring it down with any additives/reactors. Hoping the Water Changer lowers N over time.

For your Cyano Question. I did an experiment somewhere in this Thread.
I strongly Believe in Cyano Clean (Bacteria to out compete it), along with Siphoning the Cyano OUT OF TANK.
Here is a photo I posted earlier showing Treatment (From Outbreak to Sparkling Clean Tank)
2019-08-24_CyanoCleanTreamentExperiment.jpg

I don't believe in any other CHEMICAL treatment, like ChemiClean.

I also don't believe in blowing off the Cyano to spread all over. (Get it out of your system by Siphon Hose, during water Change)
Good Flow helps is keeping Cyano out of dead spots. Helps SPS grow too, and SPS grows Thicker/Stronger.
Also if you want to reduce Cyano, cut down any Red Lighting (if you have Reds turned up).

My Philosophy is "Cyano is Ugly, as it covers you rock and sand, and even worse when it starts to bubble".
However it's harmless to Fish and Corals. HERE IS PROOF.
This photo is of my Old Tank when I had a Major Cyano Outbreak (just after Blowing off some Cyano off rocks)
CyanoOutbreak.jpg

You can see that the Corals actually resisted any Cyano Growth.
That's Cyano Bloom I caused by Over Feeding Corals with Osyter Feast.
Frags went from Pale to Colorful, Rocks went from Clean to Cyano Covered.

I've had cyano a few times, and even NOW I got some starting up. Not worried, but paying attention.
It's part of a Tank Cycle (After Nutrient Increase, Bioload, or some other change). And it takes time for your tank to regulate itself. So Patience is key. Overreacting doesn't always help (for Long Term Success)
1.5-3 Months and it will go away (if you cut out what's fueling it).

All the best. See you here and on your thread.
Thanks for taking time for my questions, first time i see the colony of papi chulo, really nice!
The scorpion seem to look like my pink floyd (also from fragbox and also green instead of yellow).
As for cyano clean i used it (10 ml now empty) earlier this summer with coral snow after my third chemical treatment of the year.
This time the results were good, but now that i'm back from vacation cyano is also (clarisea filter turned off for the week for ease of use for my tank sitter).
Really like the idea of back-up corals, we should try it sometime.
Edit: thanks for the link but my days of dosing supplements (various brands over the years) are behind me, i aim for a more stable/easy tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIRST ALK-ROBOT TEST ( Robotic Mixer / Manual Cockpit Control )

I built the IMPROVED (Water/Reagent Mixer).

Hours of work, redesigns, but I got what I think will work.

Before GLUING things Down Permanently, and investing Hours into Wiring, then Days into Programming....

I needed to TEST if the design/mechanisms will work. No Auto Programming, just Pushing Buttons, and dials.

I was quite NERVOUS on First Robot Test, worried it would NOT be accurate after so much time put in.

So I ran (TWO TESTS OF EACH TYPE) on my SPS TANK Water to COMPARE, and RESULTS ARE BELOW.

Typical Variances, Maybe the

I didn't use the Dosing Heads to add (Water/Reagent).... I just used Syringes (so that test will be at the end).
Confidence is high since my Doser uses same Heads and can dose pretty accurately (1ml).

I can move forward and Finish the Beast!

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major Breakthrough ( Alk Robot Protype ) Multi-Processor Integration [ OPENS up WORLDS of Possibilities ]

200,000 Miles to go.

This will make no sense to anyone (non-Techie). To me amazing, and changes everything.

Took 2 days of research/learning Code, and then ( Just 6 KEY wires BLUE/GREEN ONES)

2019-08-28_RaspPi-to-Ardiuno-to-LCD.jpg

What this means, is the Alk Robot (new Name to come soon) will be two Controllers (Super-Mini Versions of what you see in Photo)
Communicating with each other.

Raspberry PI and Ardiuno.

The Ardiuno will be a SLAVE computer controlling the Motors, Pumps, LEDS, etc ( Grunt Work)

The Raspberry PI will the MASTER computer (The Brain), and can do just about anything I can Dream of for things like; Internet , Smart Display, Logic, Data and MOST IMPORTANT (Computer Vision ..Next on my Learning Curve).

And I've been Dreaming a Ton of Ideas (Day and Night).

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk Robot ( Final Component ) Camera EYE for COMPUTER VISION

The Quarter Sized Mini Camera works (CLEAR at CLOSE DISTANCE).
I can store images for the Hana Test Results [DIGIT] Processing.

I have ALL THE PUZZLE PIECES figured out. TIME TO FINISH it up.

Hmm. Camera Image Color is pretty good.
Might be able to see a PHOSPHATE Test change from Pink to Blue. (Future Enhancement, 5 Billion Miles away)

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Beautiful work and creativity

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful work and creativity
Thanks. Appreciate the Compliment and someone's comment. It's lonely working all these hours.

One more BIG step to figure out. (working on it NEXT)

If I get that working, I actually have EVENTHING Proven in my prototyping.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

One more BIG step to figure out. (working on it NEXT)
I got the Image of the Digits off the Hanna.

Now I got to digitize them into Data with The Computer Vision Recognition Software.
I'd never be able to figure that out myself without that Tutorial Example I found.

If I get that working, I actually have EVENTHING Proven in my prototyping.
Wow this was very ambitious and it seems to have proceeded really fast. Great job so far.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this was very ambitious and it seems to have proceeded really fast. Great job so far.
Thanks Caveman.
It's has gone fast, since I'm off work this week. Last of Vacation till Next year.
Kids and Wife aren't happy with me Daydreaming all day, and running to my Mad Scientist Lab all the time.

But in case someone on this Forum thinks I'm doing Phosphates already.
I haven't even done ALK yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tick-TOCK TICK-TOCK ( arrrgghh!! ) STALLED!! with C-Vision Software Install

A whole day has gone by and "I HAVEN'T Progressed AN INCH"

This Open Vision Software install is very Cryptic and Time Consuming Installation.
Hours of waiting and it ENDS in Failure....Followed by another DIFFERENT Attempt.

I now have TWO Rasperry Pi's hooked up and doing Double Installs hoping one will work.

So....so...Close to the Last Piece I need.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY ( We Have Eyes and Brains ) with OpenVision on Raspberry PI Mini-Computer

WOW!! Two whole days of Hard Work.
Finally Figured it out, and did it twice to make sure I can re-do installs/setups.

I finally got Software setup

I actually did my first Smart Vision Image Transformation......proving my Software is working.

Simple ( Convert Color Image to GrayScale)

I have a few sample photos to work with.

If I can Recognize "102" from Photo-03, and then "888" from Photo 1 then I'll be popping champagne.

Lot's to learn.....Complex Language. Very Mathematical.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY ( Educated, Exhausted, ELATED!!! ) Digital Vision Reading ACHIEVED!

I barely slept, ate, and feel like a Zombie.....After this post..... will Crash till the moon, or Sun...whatever Rises.

Learned (just enough about) 2 operating systems, 8 computer languages, and even built a Dark Matter Chamber....

Tiny touchups to do to perfect things, but T
he PROOF of CONCEPT for everthing is Done.

Basically I painted a Cardboard with a Super FLAT Black PAINT that Eats Light. Stuart Semple Paint.
I think it was @Rakie or was it @NY_Caveman who mentioned it a while ago, and I got a bottle for my kids.

I then Cut a small cut out to poke the mini-Raspbery Pi lense thru.
And a Point Source light pointing at the Hanna LCD Display.
It' greatly simplified my Programming for complex Filter Algorithms and stuff.
The Robot may need something similar.

So I have all the Pieces to really have the Motivation and Confidence, to build the Machine (with quality and care).

STAY TUNED.

I'll be quiet on the Alk-Robot till it's finished, except for Fishy Forum stuff

(I got a cool post coming on my BITA. I figured out how to make it Bubble more...It was all stringy)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sneak Peek ( Hardware Completion) Tank Mate Alk Monitor

I was going to wait till it's all done, but this is a major Milestone with Hardware built. (few touch ups pending)

The working unit will be more impressive. This gives you an idea where I'm heading.

PHOTO REMOVED.

100,000 miles to go till Launch.

WallyB

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind. Yanking the Premature Photo.

DUHHH!! I was looking things over and I realized I forgot ONE IMPORTANT PIECE of Hardware.

THE Computer Vision CAMERA!!!

But after several hours.....I managed to squeeze it in.
Didn't work mounting it inside for proper image lighting. Kind of too close to the Hanna.

So I had to improvise an outside mount rig.
(Tough work, getting distance, angle, and light just right to NOT produce a Reflection off that Hanna Window )

At First (the outside mount) looked awful, Stuck out like a sore thumb.
but then with some foam sheeting I got it to look aesthetically pleasing.

Camera on the outside may be a good thing for the Future (Other Water Tests. Different Method) with Wider Vision.

Now I can put away my HW tools, and pull out my SW tools.....And finish this project.

(Tired and worn down A BIT).....since my patience is running out to see IF IT WILL WORK.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back