★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUICK UPDATE:

Been quiet but not idle.

Had a computer Hard Disk Crash (but I always do Daily backups, so nothing lost).
Got a new computer (to replace my 6 year old Window 7 machine). Learning the Ins and Outs of Windows 10.

Minor progress on the Alk Monitor, but will get getting back into that again.

Tanks stable, and getting better after (whatever caused the SPS Darkening/Browning). Maybe Coral Snow is helping.

Bubble tip Anemone found a Nice permanent place (Finally). Right in the middle of a patch of Palys. Blends in.
One clown is hosting the Anemone but it's small so maybe when it grows both will settle in.
Seems the Clown rubbing the Aneonme is getting it's tips to bubble again (a bit).

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more UPDATE (( LEARNED SOMETHING ))) GFO and CARBON (Myth / Mis-Information)

I've been listening to Folk saying Don't use GFO.... Don't Use Carbon it Strips trace Elements.

So couple of months ago, I started using GFO (consistently) and it go my P just under 0.1 (STABLE)

I got fed up with the Coral Browning (Which must have been Too High Nutrients).
This Friday I put in a Big Bag of Carbon. I just looked at Tank and WOW, everything is coming back in just 2 days.

So, I am going to Run carbon on and off, and GFO all the time.
My daily water changes to should keep Trace Elements nicely top up.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DISMAY Changed to DISBELIEF ( Bubble Coral )

I've always liked bubble corals, but in past I tried to keep one twice and none make it for long term (A fall, A Tear, or just faded out)

This time I got one, ANCHORED IT DOWN.... and it was doing well. Nice and Symmetrical and Round..

OVER LAST WHILE....When it got bigger, it lost it's symmetry, and I thought it was too much flow.
So I kept reducng flow, which help reduce the lumpiness.

However today, I noticed it's not loosing symmetry. IT"S SPLITING in many places.
Kind of Neat.

2019-10-21_BubbleCoralSplitting.jpg

Getting a bit too big for my Tank, so if those SKELETAL Sections Separate more, I can take for cutting, and keep myself a head to grow again.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini QUICK PROJECT ( Carbon Media Controller ) In Line with Total Automation.

Ever since I added the Carbon, the SPSTank is so clear I wonder if it has water.
SPS have initially responded well, and the Cyano patches are slowly dissapaering.

I like the response, so I added Carbon to my LPS tank now.

However, I worry I'm stripping off too many nutrients, so best to do what I have read other's do.
Run carbon for a day once a week.

I don't want to get into manual maintenance, so will automate the this as well.

I bought a Stepper Motor kit a while ago with Plans to be able to raise my Lighting fixtures.
That turned out to be too complex and dangerous.

Raising a Bag of Carbon and lowering into Sump is as trivial as you can get. But Handy.

2019-10-22_CarbonController.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea with the carbon.
Use it, but limited as it has some power to make a tank too clean.

Bummer on the computer and welcome to 2019 with W10.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea with the carbon.
Use it, but limited as it has some power to make a tank too clean.

Bummer on the computer and welcome to 2019 with W10.
Yes @Janci, I've been thinking about the Carbon Media Dipper Controller.
It will be programmable for any scheduling I want. Few dips a day, or weekly, etc.

Will play with "what keeps water clear" and "just enough nutrients" to keep Corals Happy.
I can tell that too much Carbon is dangerous
, one Frag that was barely hanging in there, bleached instantly with the Nutrient drop.
Got to be careful.
(The rest of the SPS are fine for now, and I pulled the carbon for now, and added some Aminos to bring Nutrients up a bit).

BTW. I'm not behind on my OS with just Window 7. Just hard to let go, of my baby like a comfy pair of worn in shoes.

For work I use window 10, My laptop is 10, plus 3 kids/wife run windows 10, MacOS and my controllers run Linux. I maintain them all.

Just to give you an idea of this house's Computerimh Power. Under my Desk is my LAN with 22 wired GigEthernet ports, and that doesn't count Wifi device like home automation, printers, tablets, IP phones, Cell phones,etc.

But I am kind of Glad my Old Computer crashed. It's back up and running, but time to move on.

Now for the First Time, I've got more CPU/GPU Power then my 18 year old Gaming son.

But the transition is tough. All those junk Apps, folders made over years.

New ALIENWARE R8 Computer is Shiny Clean, and so is my Desktop (Bare)....But not for long :).

OldNewComputer.jpg

Onward to the FUTURE.....1,000 miles to go on the Aquamon Lab Controller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaMon Alkalinity Monitor ( Final HW Build ) Preview

Took almost a week just to get the new computer setup and things moved over.

With the new 2K 32" Curved Monitor, my Programming/Development WorkSpace is like never before...
Things will go faster now since I can put all my work, specs, diagrams....side by side.

So here is the TANK MATE (AquaMon) LAB (V1.0 Alkalinity)
……..
NewComputerSetup-AquaMon.png

Not sure how many more miles to go, since I want the Software/Features to be Perfect (before installation).

I do want it setup ASAP, since I'm itching for new Frags. (as seen in the Actinic Tank Photo. Missing lots of Coral Glow...which I miss)
I did lose some frags lately due to neglect, and re-balancing the system water.
Still struggling to end a small Cyano outbreak.

Unfortunate.... but I'm looking forward to a New Stable Start once the ALK Monitor is up and running.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as I posted, I got a email from Local Coral Store...Frags on Sale.....

Nothing High End here, but I placed an order for Mixed SPS Frags to motivate me to finish the Project.

2019-10-29_FragPurchase.jpg

Not bad for a $150 order to color up the Dreary Looking Tank.
I give up on expensive Higher End Frags....At least till I can get Cheap ones to Survive.
A Colorful Tank of Cheap Frags make me Much More Happier than a Bunch of High End Dead Frags tossed into Garbage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread. Looking good so far, what fish do you have / want?
That's a Good Question....Since I haven't cataloged my fish since I lost and added a few.

Photo's would take time to gather the best ones, but here is a list by Tank.

Kitchen LPS TANK (90 Gallon) (No plans to Ever add fish, since things are perfect after Removing the Spot Breast Angel **BULLY ** )
- 2x Percula Clowns (Captive Bred)
- 1x Helfrishi Fire Fish (** Favourite fish of All ** ) had two in QT, one got eaten by a Maxi Jet Pump :( :( :(
- 1x Flame Hawkfish ( * Nut-Bar Kooky fish * )
- 1x Yellow Tang (Newbie)
- 1x CopperBand Butterfly (Newbie)

Basement SPS TANK (110 Gallon) (FUTURE: SunBurst Anthias, which just Vanished, and a Mandarin Goby that died in Accident, more gobies)
- 1x Black Cap Basslet
- 1x Yellow Tang
- 1x Wanatabei AngelFish

- 1x Carriberryi Anthias ( only survivor of 10 tried in QT)
- 2x Purple Fire Fish (A actual PAIR)
- 1x Neon Goby
(Fantastic Cool little guy, that Freaks me out by jumping on my hand or arm)
- 1x Blue Green Chromis (want him OUT!!)

FRAG TANK (35 Gallon) (no more fish)
- 2x Picasso Clown Fish
- 1x Blue Green Chromis
( Expelled from Friends Tank for being mean, but now best friend with the Two Clowns. Very polite too)

I won't be getting fish for a While, since QT can be lots of work.

Last edited:

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a Good Question....Since I haven't cataloged my fish since I lost and added a few.

Photo's would take time to gather the best ones, but here is a list by Tank.

Kitchen LPS TANK (90 Gallon) (No plans to Ever add fish, since thing are perfect after Removing the Spot Breast Angel **BULLY ** )
- 2x Percula Clowns (Captive Bred)
- 1x Helfrishi Fire Fish (** Favourite fish of All ** ) had two in QT, one got eaten by a Maxi Jet Pump :( :( :(
- 1x Flame Hawkfish ( * Nut-Bar Kooky fish * )
- 1x New Yellow Tang
- 1x CopperBand Buttefly
- 1x Blue Green Chromis
(want him OUT!!)

Kitchen LPS TANK (110 Gallon) (FUTURE: SunBurst Anthias, which just Vanished, and a Mandarin Goby that died in Accident, more gobies)

- 1x Black Cap Basslet
- 1x Yellow Tang
- 1x Carriberryi Anthias ( only survivor of 10 tried in QT)
- 2x Purple Fire Fish (A actual PAIR)
- 1x Neon Goby
(Fantastic Cool little guy, that Freaks me out by jumping on my hand or arm)

FRAG TANK (35 Gallon) (no more fish)
- 2x Picasso Clown Fish
- 1x Blue Green Chromis
( Expelled from Friends Tank for being mean, but not best friend with the Two Clown. Very polite too)

I won't be getting fish for a While, since QT can be lots of work.
Sounds great!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A New [ GENESIS II ] RESTART ( After Another SPS Attempt ) Closing this CHAPTER

Got some time to kill while Powerheads de-calcify in Vinegar.

It's time to close the Chapter (16 months) on this First Attempt at SPS in the new 110 Gallon Tank.

I FAILED AGAIN !!! But learned a lot and Tank Matured.....For a Better Attempt.

I'm restarting the Tank with a Vigorous Clean-Up/Tune-Up/Reset.

This RESTART will be with the ALK MONITOR so I'll keep on top of Water Parameters....One of my KEY Factors in Failure when I got busy or distracted.

The tank/corals looks like on way to self recovery, but need a little Jump-Start. (No DRASTIC CHANGES).

HERE's WHAT's done so far:

- I swept the Tank from Piles of Ditritius (Lesson Learned. Auto Water Changes are great...But you don't sweep the tank as much)
- Blasted all the Rocks with a Power head (Rocks were getting ditritus dusty), running Sock and Max Return Pump.
- I removed all the power heads and will be adjusting their placement for better FLOW COVERAGE ( I had dead spots)
- Cleaned all the Glass (First time with a Razor Blade since new Tank was setup)
- Removed the struggling Corals and put them into Frag Tank (OR Garbage)
------> Will get new SPS Frags ( Already have a few )

- Finally got a Fresh Pair of T5's for to Freshen up Lighting (Since I'm over due on changing a pair)
------> Reprogramming the Lighting to have a bit more PARS (But a longer Fade in and out)
------> Will be going with 3 Blue Plus, 2 Coral Plus, and 1 Purple Plus (no Actinic T5) ( and the XR30, with LED Strip)
- Removed the Urchin since it kept scraping streaks of Coraline off the rocks.

ROCK SCAPE REMAINS as is.
Will Feed Fish a little less. Carbon Once a week. NO ADDITIVES (Aminos)

Eventually a new Fish to replace the Sunburst Anthias.

I'll post a photo the New Tank LOOK (shortly).

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounding good. it must be refreshing to have done a lot of matinance in a short period of time
Hey @Peach02, well it certainly is Refreshing and I always just like to get it over with.

I do enjoy Fresh Rebuilds, but don't want to be doing this regularily.

Got the Tank All Cleaned up, Pump Cleaning was overdue (Now I know 4 months is max, if Coraline is growing)

Pumps just Rights. Having the Gyre XF150 pushing across the whole 4ft length wasn't efficient.
It always worked best from TOP at back, rolling the water across the Front of Tank.
Happy I put it back the old way.

One thing good when Tank is Cloudy, is you can set the pumps placements much better,
since you can see the water moving way better than Clear Water.

2019-10-31_ProjectGenesis2.jpg

Rock Scape all polished up....Bottom Dust Free........TANK Looks a bit Bare...

NOT FOR LONG..... These are on a Rack at the Back.
I want to take my time placing them. Maybe get a few more (Cheapies).

2019-10-31_GenesisII-NewFrags.jpg

BTW @Peach02. I see you have a thread in you Tag.... I'm going to have to hop over, and see what you're up to.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the New Circulation Setup.

If there is any one IMPROVEMENT, it's removing the XF150 Gyre From the Overflow side.
With it pushing water at that end, particulates were being trapped in the Tank.

Now there is nothing to hold them back from Going down the Return.

PICTURES are OVER EXPLOSED on Purpose to See the BLACK PUMPS.

2019-10-31_NewCirculation-Front.jpg

2019-10-31_NewCirculation-Back.jpg

I'll start programming the Pumps for all kind of Random motions, Some Back and Forth, and a Power Sweep once in a while.

THE MP60 (a broken one I got, and fixed) is the best thing ever, since now I'm running it 60%-100% which keeps the tank water Rotating/Moving at all times, and ALSO nothing settles on the bottom (except for under rocks)..

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn!! One Apatasia shows up in SPS Tank ( Reason discovered. Copperband GONE!! )

I haven't been paying attention to my SPS Tank much lately.

Never any concern about Aptasia. My Sump has it growing (Free food), since any that got into DT, Copperband would eat them.

Today when I notice an Aptasia on a rock, I noticed right away. No Copperband Butterfly.
He must have died within the Last month or so. (My fault. I trusted he was eating enough, so stopped hand feeding him Mastic food)

Going to replace him right away. Won't be doing my Own QT this time. I have a supplier that charges a little extra but does a 30 day FIsh QT/Treatment.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I won't stop feeding masstick now either.....

I wouldn't stop, unless you got Aptasia, or you see it eating properly.

I just noticed something else. My other Copperband in LPS tank is also gone.

I think the Copperbands need supplemental feeding, like a Piece of Clam, or whatever.

Both mine were eating Frozen (Brine, Mysis & Masstick ) but nothing else (no Flake or Pellet)

This sucks. I really like Copperbands.

This all happened since my Attention Drifted from both Tanks.
The Alk MOnitor Build and Computer Crash.

Last night I was upset about Loosing 2 Copperbands, so worked on the Alk Monitor to finish it. 100 miles to go.

Next Project. SOme kind of Auto Feeder (Frozen)

Back