★ DIY [Auto] ★ [ ALKALINITY MONITOR ] ★ 3 Tank [HANNA with Raspberry PI / Ardiuno ] with ADVANCED Features

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINISHED ( COVER AND STAND ) [ SIMPLE IS BETTER ]

I haven't done acrylic bonding before, and I made mistakes, drips, bubbles...Even a scratch!!!

Nothing anyone would see, except me.

I like it, and am Happy I didn't cover front, nor Ugly Protruding Hinges.

2020-02-27_AquaMon-CoverStand-Finished.jpg
Looks awesome !

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Raspberry PI Zero Installed ( Without USB attached Keyboard, mouse, or HDMI - Monitor hookup )

Duhhh. I bought the Raspberry Pi Zero without the Micro cables for HDMI (which I don't have).

Didn't want that to hold me up.

This great video was the solution. GREAT TRICK to enable ssh via USB cable!! (Better than the wifi hack)

Don't need to order cables now.

Got the OS installed with VNC Viewer so I'm all set to start development.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had used the 12V version but I also noticed that they came in a range of RPM speeds, I think the ones I got were just running too fast. Anyway its great that you already tried the motors and know they work alright for the reagent. I am looking forward to seeing the next few stages :)
Yeah, I learned the Lesson of Incorrect Dosing heads a while ago.

This was my first attempt at my Old Doser.

2020-03-19_DoserHeadOld.jpg

It worked (to prove the Prototype) , but a bit chunky/clunky and didn't seal well..
I Kept the Pumps for ATO .......and replaced them with the Kamoers.

2020-03-19_DoserHeadNew.jpg

You get what you pay for. The white Dosers Pumps were like $2 each. They are loud too, but I like to hear them when my ATO controller kicks in. Nice Choo-Choo SOund.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GATHER STATS ( From AquaMon Alk Monitor ) TEST-Comparisons/Alk-Shift/Dosing

I improved the Tabular Data Report so I can start getting a feel how to build the Auto Doser (AI-Logic).

To compliment the AquaMon Auto Test Results.....
I'm imputing tests results (manually) from Salifert Kit, and as I adjust dosing (manually).

Also added some calculations to show the difference between Hanna/Salifert.......
..... and how Alk is changing when I adjust dosing.

2020-03-24_ALK-AquaMon-Stats-SPS-Tank.jpg

Currently the SPS is a bit Yo-Yo on the Alk. I expected more consumption, but it's dropping, since I over dosed originally.

Also I improved the Mixing of the Reagent with Test water since I was getting a bit offset results. (the 8.4,8.3... vs the 8.0 Salifert)
I noticed the bottom of the Vial wasn't being mixed as well. (Clear, not blue)

A simple little extension with a mini EggBeater TIP on the Robot Stir stick solved that.

2020-03-24_MixTip.jpg

Tip doesn't froth the water to introduce bubbles, but certainly gets things swirling.

Now I'm getting very consistent results. (8.2 Salifert vs 8.4 AquaMon is dead on each time).

Nothing I can do for the 0.2 dkh difference between Salifert and AquaMon (too soon to auto Calibrate).
I need more data points.

Last edited:

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I learned the Lesson of Incorrect Dosing heads a while ago.

This was my first attempt at my Old Doser.

2020-03-19_DoserHeadOld.jpg

It worked (to prove the Prototype) , but a bit chunky/clunky and didn't seal well..
I Kept the Pumps for ATO .......and replaced them with the Kamoers.

2020-03-19_DoserHeadNew.jpg

You get what you pay for. The white Dosers Pumps were like $2 each. They are loud too, but I like to hear them when my ATO controller kicks in. Nice Choo-Choo SOund.

Interesting you found the little geared 6V motor dosers worse - just inconsistent?

Looking good otherwise!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting you found the little geared 6V motor dosers worse - just inconsistent?

Looking good otherwise!
Both are 6Volt (Kamoer and the Non-Name brand from China).
The problem with the White no-name brand in Old build were not fine geared for the consistency at doing 1ml or less (over and over again). I think it was the gear ratio.
They were still good for general 10ml or 20ml etc dosing (actually perfect. I used them for months, before getting a bargin Sale price on the Kamoers)

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are 6Volt (Kamoer and the Non-Name brand from China).
The problem with the White no-name brand in Old build were not fine geared for the consistency at doing 1ml or less (over and over again). I think it was the gear ratio.
They were still good for general 10ml or 20ml etc dosing (actually perfect. I used them for months, before getting a bargin Sale price on the Kamoers)

Makes sense. They're torqueier and will dump a lot more fluid (loudly). A future upgrade you can try stepper based dosing pumps which give you 1.8degree positioning of the pump rollers.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. They're torqueier and will dump a lot more fluid (loudly). A future upgrade you can try stepper based dosing pumps which give you 1.8degree positioning of the pump rollers.
I may try a stepper if the need comes up.
But if I can dose 1/4 of a drop with DC version it does the job and much cheaper, also a little less bulky, two wires to run.
I like the DC versions. You can run them continuously for an ATO or Water Changer. A stepper you can't since it will overheat and possibly burn out.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FEW WEEKS RUNNING ( ALK GRAPHS & Improved Data Table )

Here is what things look like after a few weeks running.

-> Testing Much more on the SPS Tank, sine I'm still tuning Dosing changes. SPS tank is most important for stability.
-> The Frag Tank is a bit Wild since I don't have a doser yet. Finally added Frags so will test more.
-> The Kitchen Tank was stable but good thing I ran a test since the Alk has slowly Creeped too high.

2020-04-10_AlkDataGraphT1T2T3.jpg

All 3 tanks are running different test frequencies, so graphs are so different on granularity.

I do the odd Salifert Alk Test to compare. Similar trends, just Salifert Kit is off a bit from Hanna (typical).

I also improved the Data Logging and Table, for manual entry.
Tracking Manual Alk Topups, Salifert Test Results, and Manually controlled A/B Part Auto Dosing amounts.
I also have improved the Target Labels to highlight Low, Highs more granularily.

I also added a counter to track # of test lefts in the Regent Bottle.

2020-04-10_SPSTankAlkTableImproved.jpg

This is great data for desiging the Smart Doser.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[[ AQUAmon Doser-IQ+ ]] Hardware Completed [ Software Next ]

There will be a dedicated thread for when it's fully completed.

This is the Sister Dosers, for the Aquamon Alk Monitor.

2020-04-22_DoserIQ-1.jpg

So Far I've just completed the Hardware. Basic Sotware foundation done to test the components.

2020-04-22_DoserIQ-2.jpg

Most tidy wiring I've ever done.

Dual Controller. Raspberry Pi and Ardiuno. Same as The Alk Monitor (Except the Pi is the Pi Zero)

It will be capable of Standalone Operation, but the PLUS is Fully Integratable with the AquaMon Alk Monitor (for Auto Dosing)

More details to come.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SMart Doser All HW Complete (including STATUS LEDS)

The most fun of all my Electronics projects is to Build in Good Old Classic LEDS.
Tri Colors are my favorite.

I reused the idea from my Original DIY doser for an LIt up Acyrlic Status bar.
2017-05-21_DoserLighting.jpg

To this day I like that feature, so added it to the New Smart Doser.

Now with ALL HARDWARE DONE I can start the Smart Coding.....

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOSER Plus(IQ) ::: (MANUAL Dosing Clone) COMPLETED

It went quick to Clone my Old Doser Code into the New Hardware.

Just had to re-define the Pinouts on the Ardiuno code, and modify some functions to work with the h-Bridge Motor Control, vs the OLD Relay Way.

Works perfect as a Manually Programmable Doser.

2020-05-02_DoserPlusIQ-ManualCompleteds.jpg

I also wrote the Code that Allows the Raspberry Pi to Communicate with the Ardiuno Controller(and vise-versa)

Next is the is to Develop the Wifi WEB INTERFACE.

Then after that....
Integregrate the Alk Monitor, and figure out logic for Auto Dosing Adjustments.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOSER PLUS(IQ) :::: Final Wiring ( and Back Panel )

I get the feeling this Forum is not for this kind of Stuff, but I like to Document Details. (Might do a DIY Instructable/OPENSource )

-> All Internal wiring is completed and the Doser is now Sealed.
-> Everything bought out to Back-Panel for Hookup.

2020-05-04_DosIQ-WiringBackPanelComplete.jpg

-> This Doser can actully be run with Just one USB Power Supply for RaspPI, and One DC Power Supply for Peristaltic Pumps.
----------> Proven to work (the ArduinoMega is powered off RaspPi with a USB Patch Cable)
----------------> I can Actualy Re-Program the Arduino(if needed), right from the Raspberry PI (via that USB Patch Cable)

-> Also as seen on Back Panel (Two additional Dosing Pump Wire-Hookups for Pump (5 & 6) .
----------> This Doser will be a Total of 6 Dosing Heads (2 for each of my 3 Tanks)

------------------> This matches the 3 Tank Alk Monitor.

Now It's just pure SW coding from this point. (What I enjoy the most).

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: DOSER IQ+ ( Integration of Raspberry PI to Aduino, for Soft Configuration)

This is only for those techies who care. Doubt most reefers would. Just sharing, if anyone does care....

I've completed a Key Step in the SMart Doser. Which is actually a Smart Version Clone of the Arduino Doser I made few years ago.

This Upgrade Basically Allows the Raspberry Pi (inside the Doser) to communicate and Configure the Arduino (Standalone Doser).

Remember the Doser is Dual Controller. So is the Alk Monitor.

The purpose of this, is when I'm done, the AquaMOn ALK Monitor send ALK data to the Doser, to have Dosing Adjustment Automatic.

This Shows How I can Read the Doser Configuration (in Ardiuno) using the IntegratedRaspberry PI Zero.

The config Shows Pump1 (Fully Customizable Setting)
-> Doser Label
-> The Total ml per Day setting
-> The # of Doses per day (1-24)
-> Each of the Max 24 dose times
-> And also the Day_of_the_Week Settings (I can control what days to Dose, or NOT)

Plenty of logic to ensure Safe Dosing is Coded into the Arduino Side. (Thing like no overlapping doses even if Times are set at the Same Time, Max Dose Setting, Reboots in middle of a Dose, No duplicate Dose, etc)

All 6 Dosing Pumps have the same config, and run independantly, but Logic Controlled

2020-05-14_DoserIQ-Rpi-ArduinoReadConfigInterface.jpg

And this shows how I can Make Changes. Which are Stored in the Ardiuno EEPROM (Or Flash Type Memory)

In the two Command Examples:
-> I change the Doser Label
-> I change the Daily Total Dose

2020-05-14_DoserIQ-Rpi-ArduinoWriteValidateConfigInterface.jpg

Bascially this completes the Doser, and I can if I wish Make a Graphic WEB Wrapper GUI to this.

Then once done.....

The Alk Monitor (Raspberry PI) will be able to communicate witht the Smart Doser (RaspberryPI)
Once any changes are made, the Doser will run Independantly.

WHY ALL THIS OVERHEAD (or overkill on the Doser)?
ANSWER:
Data Points and logs of all changes, will allow me to Track/Graph Dosing Changes, and use ALK Measurements to make better Smart (AI) Adjustments to Keep Alk Stable and DOSING CHANGES Safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIME TO JOIN the "3D FORUMS" to start the Design and Build of AquaMon Alk Monitor MINI

Just picked this up today. A refurbished and Upgraded ENDER-3 Pro with Micro-Swiss Extruder .

2020-05-14_ENDER3Pro.jpg

I know Zip, Zero, Ziltch about 3D Printing, but will learn, so I do better than Cutting Acrylic on Saw and Mending with Hot Glue.

I got plans and Ideas, how to make a 1 Tank Alk Monitor (Nice and Compact. Simpler too!!)....Replicatable.
Certainly isn't going to happen overnight!!

Re-use 80% of the Software I wrote for the First AquaMon ProtoType.

I've Never Been so Excited about New Tech since I was a Kid, and got my First Commodore PET!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PROOF (THe Alk MOnitor VALUE) Stability IMPROVEMENTS effect (SPS like never before)

So far this has been all Electronics and Software, however after a couple of month of Monitoring ALK the results speak for themselves.

I've never had much luck with SPS Frags. Always distracted and missed keeping on top of ALK.

Now after a few months of Stability:

-> The SPS Frags are staying Alive (No more STN/RTN)
-> Growing (Plugs Encrusting)
-> Colors like never Before (Even SPS that Browned out, are returning to Normal Colors)
-> Amazing PE too.

Even got a Strawberry Shortcake SPS , and in past it would barely survive a few week in my tank.

HERE IS what my SPS Tank looks like and the Frags

2020-05-12-FTS-110G-SPS-Med.jpg

2020-05-07-Frags-1.jpg

2020-05-07-Frags-2.jpg

This is just with the Alk Monitor, and Manual Dosing Adjustments.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK MATE DOSER-IQ ( Installed on Frag Tank ) TRIAL and Data Gathtering.

I finished the Doser. Now it test time and maybe even get the Frag Tank doing well.

2020-06-14_TankMateSmartDoserIQ-FragTank.jpg

2020-06-14_SmartDoserIQ.jpg

At this point, I will go into Simulation Mode.
Where The ALK monitor will make Recommendation for Dosing Adjusment.
And I will made the Changes manual myself, if they make sense, and learn how to improve the Smart Logic.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the WEB Interface (Initial look and feel)

Keeping the Interface Consistant witht the AquaMon Alk Monitor

2020-06-15_WebUserInterface-SmartDoserIQ.jpg

The Raspberry PI WEB access GUI is simply a wrapper to This Command line (Output). ** BOTH METHODS WORK **
2020-06-15_Pi-ArdiunoCommandLineShowAll.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back