♪♫♬ ROCK n' ROLL Reef - 210 Gallon SPS Dominant Reef ♬♫♪

Snotdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-==Rock and Roll Reef==-_____________________

Well with the tank arriving it is time to start the build thread for my new 210 SPS dominant reef build. I have been planning this build for about a year and it is finally shaping up. I have to say, the build has been WAY more work than I anticipated. This tank will be located in my studio space where I store my guitar and amp collection, hence the name Rock and Roll Reef. Here’s the room.

zpMWH2V.jpg

I had a Red Sea Reefer 170 in here until April, but the tank spontaneously leaked at a seam. The room hasn’t been the same without the life of a tank. My other system has done well, so I decided to start up a 210 gallon reef.

ptOHmuW.jpg

CURRENT SET UP

I have been reefing for 2 years now. I started an 80 gallon shallow “frag tank” about 1.5 years ago in an unfinished area that was mostly my workshop before. That tank has morphed into a bigger project and tank of its own and the room has changed into my fish “laboratory”.

My current 80 Gallon Mixed Reef
rtlxUxN.jpg

LdO5uNM.jpg

I have an attached 30g frag tank that is plumbed to the same sump.
AVIQL0Y.jpg

jtzXnRE.jpg

I plan to adapt the lessons that I have learned from my current system to my 210 build.

My General Reefing Philosophy

My general philosophy on reefing is to try to be as natural and close to nature’s conditions as possible. If there is a biologic solution to a problem, I prefer that. I observed that my tank took off as soon as I got my refugium up and running to grow chaeto. Once I put the Kessil H380 grow light on my refugium, everything seemed to fall into place. My nitrates have always stayed about 2 and phosphates about 0.2, although I credit GFO for that. I run a heavy bioload. I feed a ton. I rarely do any water changes. I haven’t had the balls to wean off the GFO yet. I plan to adapt these lessons to my 210 build.

TANK: 210 Gallon Aqueon Glass (72” x 24” x 29”)

I was planning on ordering a custom tank but got a good deal locally. Stand is by Planet Aquariums. I had it delivered and should have had sump here prior but didn’t. I did not want to move the tank and did not want to remove any bracing, so I ordered a pair of custom sumps.

SUMPS:

I had John from Advanced Acrylics build me two custom sumps that are interconnected with 2” pipes. They’re built like tanks from ¾” acrylic and I am very happy with the way they look. I will have some increased maintenance keeping them clean but its fine.

4uyIzDj.jpg

I7HjpF2.jpg

LIGHTING

I was torn on lighting and spent months deciding. I'm going for mainly SPS. I have had Metal Halide, T5, LED of all types (reefbrite, kessil, radion, black box) and for me the best results came from my Kessil AP700. I decided to go with three AP700 and also supplement this with a Reefbrite Dual T5 60w setup. I have space to add another of these but I don’t think I’ll need more light. :)

BMRfQjx.jpg

veepD2m.jpg

Sump lighting:

I mounted a Phillips Hue Strip light under the cabinet and also in my adjacent equipment cabinet so that I could change the colors to match the room lighting. Yes I know, not necessary. :)

a9E1OE0.jpg

PLUMBING:

Plumbing is a work in progress. Currently sidelined with the flu, but more to come. Here’s a preview:

0KKvM2u.jpg

LesPaulPlayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it. I am a reef and guitar adict as well. But I have all my amps and guitars in my office and the reef in the living room.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely following. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Loving this build and I LOVE the room!!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice i got the same tank size. Im also going with kessil ap700. Cabt wait to see the rest. Sump looks sweet! Love the order the canopy has.

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Very nice! Just picked up a 210! I will be following your build very closely for ideas as I won't be starting my build after the weather breaks here in Chi-Town. I need better weather to work on the stand in the garage. Can't wait to see your rock work!!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.9%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 95 50.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back