0.00 Phosphate

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since i cycled my tank it's been 8 months, and 6 of those months i have had 0.00 Phosphate, and 5+ Nitrate for 4 of the months that i have tested. Both are tested with Hanna checkers. Now i'm getting Cyano once again and in my sump i see some stringy slime-bubbly algae that could be dinos? How do i reduce Nitrate alone, because i do think this is a nutrition problem? I have started to add some Neophos to get the Phosphates up a bit.....

I mostly feed frozen clam, shrimp and scallop but i do vary with flakes and pretty often use various coral food that fish eat to.

I just received a Triton test and everything was green. My pets look fine i think. Only got two SPS and three LPS..... my soft corals are growing like weed. Mostly Zoas. I am aiming to add more SPS in the near future, but with Cyano i know (and maybe dinos) something is wrong. I don't want to add anything new unless i get to the Cyano problem. There is definitely an imbalance somewhere and i can't figure out why. Any ideas would help, What am i doing wrong?

Here is a thing i noticed, i get that crappy brown bubble slime algae pretty quick in my spump. I mean it's back just after two days after scraping it off, no Cyano. Is that normal that the algae is coming back that fast? I have no algae on my DT rocks, but i have on the back glass. I leave that mostly alone because sometimes my coral beauty eats from that :) I scrape it off from time to time but i leave a patch for him to eat.

I have a 150 gallon system. I change 10% water once and every week. Vacuum the sandbed.

My filtration:

Sump (40 g) with 20kg of Marco rock, Chaeto and other cool algae that i bought :D
Nyos 160 skimmer
Small surface skimmer to rid the crap on the surface. I clean i once a week.
Nyos Torq 2.0, i run 100 gr of carbon and 200 gr of Zeolite (i took just a little to rid the Nitrate)
I run a small half litre DIY pump-filter with coarse, medium, small and fleece media in the sump to get rid of the small particles. I clean it once a week.

My parameter are:

Salinity: 0.026
Alkalinity: 7.5 (working on increasing this)
pH: 8.2
Magnesium: 1260
Calcium: 430

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate at 5 isn't a problem at all. May want to consider dosing phosphate to get the number up.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate at 5 isn't a problem at all. May want to consider dosing phosphate to get the number up.
I should have mentioned that i have tested with a Hanna LR checker that only gets to 5 Nitrate, and not over. Yes, i'm now dosing with Phosphate to get the numbers up, but i still don't understand why i get Cyano in my DT. I guess if i don't keep adding Phosphates i will get it?

ED3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd work on dosing to get that phosphate up but also, have you considered a UV sterilizer? It may help a little.

What fish are you keeping? Overfeeding could be causing these problems too.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have mentioned that i have tested with a Hanna LR checker that only gets to 5 Nitrate, and not over. Yes, i'm now dosing with Phosphate to get the numbers up, but i still don't understand why i get Cyano in my DT. I guess if i don't keep adding Phosphates i will get it?
Cyano isn't like the rest of the algae. It usually pops up when parameters get crazy. For example at one point my tank was between 50 and 100 nitrates. When I brought it down to the 10-15 that I keep it at now is when cyano showed up. I used chemiclean to eventually get rid of the small amount I had left. That came with its own adventure though.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd work on dosing to get that phosphate up but also, have you considered a UV sterilizer? It may help a little.

With nutrients being that low I'd almost recommend feeding more. Parameter swings and high nutrients are an issue. However if you could feed 6 times and day and keep parameters acceptable and steady is best case scenario. Heavy in and heavy out.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have
1 Foxface
1 Puple tang
1 Yellow coris wrasse
1 Fire fish
1 Coral beauty
1 Cleaner wrasse
1 Timor wrasse
2 Ocillaris clown fis
1 Dobelius reef lobster.

And at least two Pistol shrimp that i never get to see ☺️

I will look into a UV sterelizer to, i had it in mind to check it out some day thanks!

I think yes i feed a lot. Maybe like 4 cubes a day, but i dont consider that to much? I do add some coral food on top of that though. I beleive that over feeding is not causing Cyano, but rather algae problems.

I think Cyano is present because there is an imbalance or lack of something. But i don’t know of what.

Cyano is not really an algae, but a bacteria so that is why i dont really understand why i got it now. My sump and DT algae should be able to get the over hand and as such unable the darn Cyano to grow.

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main reasons for cyanobacteria are:
  • Poor lighting
  • Poor water movement
  • Overfeeding
  • Tap water or RODI water with over 0 TDS
  • Poor protein skimming

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main reasons for cyanobacteria are:
  • Poor lighting
  • Poor water movement
  • Overfeeding
  • Tap water or RODI water with over 0 TDS
  • Poor protein skimming
My tank doesn't fit any of those and had cyano.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.8%
Back