0-10v and Drive Ports - Help me understand

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, a couple months into owning my Hydros Control4. I have gotten really comfortable with most of it. I want to get more out of my Hydros C4!

Let's run through each port:
Probe Ports (1/2): Easy enough. Also why I chose the C4 over C2. Just pH probe currently.
Sense Ports (2/4): Using, just not to full potential. I need to pick up a couple more sensors (leak rope!) to get the most out of them. Currently Temp Sensor and a water level sensor is in transit which will monitor my ATO reservoir level.
Command (0/2): No use atm
Drive Ports (0/2): ?
0-10v (0/2): ?

WiFi Strip (4/4): Controls my Return (VarioS6), Skimmer (RSK300), MP40, and 2 other jank Powerheads (single plug).
WiFi Plug (0/1): Will connect ATO once I upgrade from stock. Currently on my nano upstairs just to test things.

USB (1/4): Just have my Wyze Cam in sump hooked up atm.

So... About these 0-10v and Drive Ports. I don't really know how to utilize them? I don't understand them in the first place, so that makes it even harder.

It doesn't appear that any of my pumps can use these ports (Varios6, MP40) without the WaveEngine. I currently not planning to use the Hydros ATO. So... what CAN I do? I am not crazy tech heavy yet, so I don't even know if I even have anything to utilize them.

What are some basic to intermediate type things to use with these ports? I don't think any advanced "things" are going to really benefit me as I am not crazy tech heavy yet.

I don't feel like I NEED to use those ports, but I WANT to use them to make me feel like I am getting more out of my C4. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Current equipment List
Red Sea XL300
Return: VariouS6
Flow: Mp40 and 2 jank other powerheads
Skimmer: RSK300
Light: Kessil AP9x

BRS Inkbird temp
Control4
-Power Strip
-Power Plug
-Temp Sensor
-pH Probe
- Water Level Sensor (ATO level)

ajl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my ATO pump off of a drive port:
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 10.08.07 AM.png

ajl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is with the Hydros ATO. Looks like the Tunze runs at a lower voltage:

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is with the Hydros ATO. Looks like the Tunze runs at a lower voltage:
Yep, that's what I thought. I remember stumbling on that exact post before.

My plan was just to use the WiFi plug for my ato to shut off during certain times.

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, a couple months into owning my Hydros Control4. I have gotten really comfortable with most of it. I want to get more out of my Hydros C4!

Probe Ports (1/2): Easy enough. Also why I chose the C4 over C2. Just pH probe currently.
Sense Ports (2/4): Using, just not to full potential. I need to pick up a couple more sensors (leak rope!) to get the most out of them. Currently Temp Sensor and a water level sensor is in transit which will monitor my ATO reservoir level.

WiFi Strip (4/4): Controls my Return (VarioS6), Skimmer (RSK300), MP40, and 2 other jank Powerheads (single plug).
WiFi Plug (0/1): Will connect ATO once I upgrade from stock. Currently on my nano upstairs just to test things.

So... About these 0-10v and Drive Ports. I don't really know how to utilize them? I don't understand them in the first place, so that makes it even harder.

It doesn't appear that any of my pumps can use these ports (Varios6, MP40) without the WaveEngine. I currently not planning to use the Hydros ATO. So... what CAN I do? I am not crazy tech heavy yet, so I don't even know if I even have anything to utilize them.

What are some basic to intermediate type things to use with these ports? I don't think any advanced "things" are going to really benefit me as I am not crazy tech heavy yet.

I don't feel like I NEED to use those ports, but I WANT to use them to make me feel like I am getting more out of my C4. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Current equipment List
Red Sea XL300

BRS Inkbird temp
Control4
-Power Strip
-Power Plug
-Temp Sensor
-pH Probe
Hello! You have caught my attention! :)

So where to begin! Oh yes knowledge is power...
So first and foremost I’d like to introduce you to the Hydros Forum! :) This is a great place to see what everyone is doing with their Controls. Specifically the 0-10v port is a powerful tool that allows you to “ Control “ lol a whole lot more than you might think. We have a complete DIY Section in the forum that outline many different applications from very advanced to plug a play options. We even have other Reef Keepers that sell pre-made boxes for all kinds of things!

Secondary I’d like to encourage you to join our Facebook group that is designed for folks with inquiring minds! Ask questions, get answers!!

Lastly but certainly not least , we have our very own Hydros Website that also has a treasure trove of information contained within its pages!!

Information you seek!! Information you shall have!! :)

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the drive ports I run a skimmer, carbon reactor and my Klir. All mine use 12v motors.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! You have caught my attention! :)

So where to begin! Oh yes knowledge is power...
So first and foremost I’d like to introduce you to the Hydros Forum! :) This is a great place to see what everyone is doing with their Controls. Specifically the 0-10v port is a powerful tool that allows you to “ Control “ lol a whole lot more than you might think. We have a complete DIY Section in the forum that outline many different applications from very advanced to plug a play options. We even have other Reef Keepers that sell pre-made boxes for all kinds of things!

Secondary I’d like to encourage you to join our Facebook group that is designed for folks with inquiring minds! Ask questions, get answers!!

Lastly but certainly not least , we have our very own Hydros Website that also has a treasure trove of information contained within its pages!!

Information you seek!! Information you shall have!! :)

I wasn't able to find all that much on the CV forums. Should I just repost the exact message over there to get more focused answers? :)

Other than that, definitely hit the home page many times. I also do not Facebook much, so that isn't much of an avenue for me.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the drive ports I run a skimmer, carbon reactor and my Klir. All mine use 12v motors.
I didn't realize skimmers had that option, but it makes sense. Those are all good options. Thanks!!

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't able to find all that much on the CV forums. Should I just repost the exact message over there to get more focused answers? :)

Other than that, definitely hit the home page many times. I also do not Facebook much, so that isn't much of an avenue for me.
Sure that’s what it’s there for! :) ask and I’m sure you’ll receive some great insight! :)

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current equipment List
Red Sea XL300

BRS Inkbird temp
Control4
-Power Strip
-Power Plug
-Temp Sensor
-pH Probe
With the 0-10v you can control the varios6 pump you have at least. What are the other “Jank” powerheads that you have? If they are Jebao you may have ways to control them with the 0-10 as well depending on what models you have. You may have to do some converting of plugs to get the different connections needed. I don’t have a control4 but I have a wave engine, so similar setups.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 0-10v you can control the varios6 pump you have at least. What are the other “Jank” powerheads that you have? If they are Jebao you may have ways to control them with the 0-10 as well depending on what models you have. You may have to do some converting of plugs to get the different connections needed. I don’t have a control4 but I have a wave engine, so similar setups.
I thought i needed the Wave to control the Varios 6

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought i needed the Wave to control the Varios 6
Why would you need the wave engine? The C4 has the 0-10v outputs. I would use the apx cable myself and then use a network through connector to a icecap splitter on one of those plugs so I have more options down the road. F9C426BB-7D5A-4411-A8C5-00A43EEA750E.jpeg
7F2E2814-31D3-4BE2-950C-51942A95653E.jpeg
7132BF37-C3E9-4537-8788-305DFC6E53E3.jpeg

D26AA76A-443A-4EC0-9847-A06CDE2762B4.jpeg B4E2B2FD-EEA5-4723-84C1-CC0BBD69E92E.jpeg E9BC8BC1-4694-4DA8-8DB6-B48B66D7562E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. I will order the cable and try it out. I never charge my returns speed, just one and off. I will see what it can do for me, though. Thanks!

Back