<= 0.25 ppm Ammonia, 0 Nitrate and 0 Nitrite, 30 Gallon

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my tank a week ago and I followed the BRS guide and bought a clown as well as Dr. Tim’s One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria and put both in the tank. I’ve been checking every other day for the levels using the API Saltwater Master Test Kit and those same levels are practically stagnant. I feed the clown in the morning and at night. I want to add fish but as per what I read everywhere else, the ammonia level should be 0, what should I do? Wait? Any advice helps, thanks!

IMG_6928.jpeg

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more information would be helpful. Ie tank size, amount of live rock, dead rock? Live sand? How did you set it up? You need to wait until you have enough beneficial bacteria that the ammonia is converted to less toxic forms of nitrogen. Do not add livestock until then.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my tank a week ago and I followed the BRS guide and bought a clown as well as Dr. Tim’s One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria and put both in the tank. I’ve been checking every other day for the levels using the API Saltwater Master Test Kit and those same levels are practically stagnant. I feed the clown in the morning and at night. I want to add fish but as per what I read everywhere else, the ammonia level should be 0, what should I do? Wait? Any advice helps, thanks!

IMG_6928.jpeg
In addition to 0 ammonia, you need to have nitrates for the cycle to be complete. How high was your ammonia before it dropped to where it is in the photo?

(Fwiw, the color you're showing in the photo COULD indicate a safe/cycled tank IF you had nitrates... API tests measure total ammonia so ONCE YOU'RE SURE THAT AMMONIA IS BEING CONVERTED TO NITRATE, you can consider a reading between 0 and 0.25 as "no free ammonia". But without nitrate, you're not there yet -there is no indication that nitrifying bacteria is doing anything yet.)

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more information would be helpful. Ie tank size, amount of live rock, dead rock? Live sand? How did you set it up? You need to wait until you have enough beneficial bacteria that the ammonia is converted to less toxic forms of nitrogen. Do not add livestock until then.
It’s a 30 gallon tank with live sand and 5lb of Caribsea life rock, the other 25lbs is dead rock with RO water and 1.025 SG. I use a canister filter and waited a couple of days before adding the fish with the Nitrifying bacteria, my clown seems fine, wasn’t eating the first two days but became really active on the third day and still is, I did a small water change today which probably was not the best idea but it was because my salinity was a bit high as the evaporation kicked in. Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to 0 ammonia, you need to have nitrates for the cycle to be complete. How high was your ammonia before it dropped to where it is in the photo?

(Fwiw, the color you're showing in the photo COULD indicate a safe/cycled tank IF you had nitrates... API tests measure total ammonia so ONCE YOU'RE SURE THAT AMMONIA IS BEING CONVERTED TO NITRATE, you can consider a reading between 0 and 0.25 as "no free ammonia". But without nitrate, you're not there yet -there is no indication that nitrifying bacteria is doing anything yet.)
The weird thing it didn’t drop, it’s been like that since Monday, I follow the API directions to the dot but it seems like the parameters are just staying the same, I honestly convinced myself it was 0ppm until I separately measured distilled water. But I will check on my nitrate levels tomorrow and see if anything has changed. I did add a little bit of Imagitarium Biological Boost, recommended by someone, whilst doing a small water change because my salinity was running a bit high because of evaporation. And if you don’t mind me asking, from what I’ve read especially with Dr Tim, Fritz Turbo start, I thought cycling a tank with prepped bacteria was the status quo, is it not? Other than adding some kind of source of ammonia.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you purchase a better test kit such as Salifert or Hanna. API always reads at least .25 for ammonia. Go slow! Wait awhile before adding more fish so your bioload can build up. Nothing good happens fast in reefing.

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you purchase a better test kit such as Salifert or Hanna. API always reads at least .25 for ammonia. Go slow! Wait awhile before adding more fish so your bioload can build up. Nothing good happens fast in reefing.
I’ve heard bad things about the API test kit so you’re the nail in the coffin, I’m definitely investing in a better kit, thanks! And I’ll take the patience advice to heart.

scottkoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chunk of live rock could be really useful right now. With patience, all cycles will end but usually not within a week. Although they can be useful, bottled bacteria typically doesn’t pack enough punch to truly cycle a tank within a few days. The important thing right now is to keep your fish alive and removal or live rock are what I would recommend. And I agree with everyone above, don’t trust API.

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, water changes are not going to fix increased salinity from evaporation - topping off with fresh water (RODI) will.
I was more referring to how I already had a borderline high salinity, 1.027, and after the evaporation made the concentration even higher since salt doesn’t evaporate I realized that it wouldn’t be feasible to keep keeping track of minor evaporation and instead just lower the salinity just a bit.

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chunk of live rock could be really useful right now. With patience, all cycles will end but usually not within a week. Although they can be useful, bottled bacteria typically doesn’t pack enough punch to truly cycle a tank within a few days. The important thing right now is to keep your fish alive and removal or live rock are what I would recommend. And I agree with everyone above, don’t trust API.
So I have a life rock and live sand, are you suggesting I buy more?

scottkoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a life rock and live sand, are you suggesting I buy more

yeah, unfortunately life rock is nothing close to actual live rock. And I believe that most live sand is just dry sand with bottled bacteria added. So really not a lot of biodiversity there.

Nman

Coast Line
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I think your using api test kit they are not the most reliable test kit . Salfert is a good reliable test kit you can trust . Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and nitrate should be showing when cycled. Cycle a tank takes time your a week in early early days when it comes to marine hobby. Ps this is what I did with my api master kit
B9E9DAC8-2F7D-4E62-ACA0-AA8F960643E4.jpeg

Back