BRS

EAZi_Coral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I appologize for my bad english to start with.
So.
I started my tank(2ns hand tank) last wednesday, I had loverocks from the same aquarium, I fully flushed the tank with tap water and cleaned it with sponge, tank sat dry for 24 hours. While liverock was out of the water, I used morter cement to make a rockscape, let the rocks out of water for almost 24 hours if not more, I put the rock in the tank, filled the tank with tap water, barebottom, put 4 pump in the tank and let them run at max in random directions for 2 hours, stopped the pumps, cyphoned out all the debris and 100% of the water, I put my rinsed dry aroganite sand in the tank, filled it with saltwater. I kept the salinity around 1.020 for 2 days, took some water out(around 10 gallons), replaced it with new salt mix with high salinity to bring tank Salinity to 1.024, tank has been running for few days. Skimmer off, I refugium or anything. Just return pump and wavemakers. I've been testing parameters for the past 2 days, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrates are around 0.25.
I've also added some fish to the tank immediately, following Dr. Tims advise on keeping ammonia and 5ppm to cycle tank faster with fishes(or that's what I understood from it)
So the question is, did the bacteria in the liverocks survived all this?! Which is why my tank parameters are of a cycled tank, or am I missing something?! Could it take longer for ammonia and nitrite to actually show up?! Note that I've been throwing fish food in the tank from first day I filled it with water. Sorry for the long read, just couldn't find an answer anywhere.

Red Sea Reefer 425xl IMG_20210828_170830.jpg

coralreefdefender

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would definitely remove those types of fish they get stressed out way to easy and will die with an ammonia spike. What you need to do is buy one Dalmatian molly there the best for cycling tanks keep him in there for two weeks over feed just a little then remove him as well. After that leave your tank alone and let nature take its course if you want even more ammonia put a frozen shrimp in a panty hose and put him in the tank for a month. And there you have it let your tank cycle

attiland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So what is the issue? With dr time you will not see the ammonia only maybe on the first day. It is 0 you are good
I have not seen nitrites wit DR Tim’s ever. It is 0 so you are good.
The fact you have some nitrates means the bacteria works. If you are over 5 days you are cycled anyway.
enjoy your tank and go slow from here. Put your ammonia test away deep inside a drover and set an alert for the expiry date if you don’t want to bin it now. You will never need it again.
buy some decent alkalinity magnesium and calcium tests together nitrate and phosphate test.

My only concern is you have used cement and it has 2 weeks curing time so you have rushed it a bit.

Last edited:

attiland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would say most the good bacteria on the rocks died during the dry out time you mentioned maybe some bacteria lived through it?
True but he used DrTim’s so might killed bacteria but he is fine for nitrifying.

Supa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
True but he used DrTim’s so might killed bacteria but he is fine for nitrifying.
Yes and no. I would say just keep observing. I have heard many times dr.Tim and others alike are inactive or duds. I used dr.Tim too it’s good stuff but there is a chance could been a bottle of dead bacteria. I always think this when I think of living things in a bottle. Lol

Battlecorals