0 for possible 5 w/ wrasse QT

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up an awesome flasher wrasse today. Got him home and did a fresh water dip on him. He stayed in for 5 mins ( now I'm thinking it was too long) and into QT. Now he's lethargic flosting around vertical. I'm a but frustrated with wrasses. They are my favorite fish but I can't get any through QT. I'm thinking no more for me. I double check SG before I put him. Exactly the same, flostey for about 30 mins.
53c17498a5b7e23fcb9d5381c010639f.jpg
24051dae5de1a7115f5aef7f8976f226.jpg

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 of them started getting bad after Prazipro treatments (during ttm), one made it through and died the first day in the display tank.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The latest one I got today and now he's dead. I think I know what I did wrong, I did a fresh water dip on him before I put him in qt.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every wrasse except 1 that I've bought online has died either in TTM, QT or early days in the DT.

Every wrasse I've bought at the LFS is still doing well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every wrasse except 1 that I've bought online has died either in TTM, QT or early days in the DT.

Every wrasse I've bought at the LFS is still doing well.

Were the LFS specimens QT'd as well?

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this before putting them through any meds or fresh water put them in your QT with just regular saltwater and a nice place to hide and leave them there for a week feeding them. After that do whatever you feel is necessary. Travel is super hard on wrasse and they need time to recover.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this before putting them through any meds or fresh water put them in your QT with just regular saltwater and a nice place to hide and leave them there for a week feeding them. After that do whatever you feel is necessary. Travel is super hard on wrasse and they need time to recover.
That will be my plan from now on with wrasses.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife said don't get anymore. This last fish was in a display at my LFS, doing awesome. Pretty purple and blue colors. I made water for Qt, contacted the LFS to find out his SG so I could match it. Put a powered (tunze 6105, a big boy) in the make up water to mix and aerate. Once I got her home, I floated the *** for about 20 to 30 mins double check both water samples. Then I performed a FW dip. I made the bath with RO water, she was in it for 5 mins and into the tank she went. In QT she was swimming vertically with her head at the top. She would kind if float down, then back up. I covered the tank with a towel to try and calm her down. She finally went by the heater to hide so I thought I was good. Nope, about 2 hrs later I checked on her and she was belly up.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using an Ammonia Badge? I'm just wondering if it's possible your rodi is showing ammonia in it. I have had that happen with chloramines breaking through my rodi system, also people with cats have reported ammonia in their rodi.
Just a thought

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to fw dip them right on purchase? If you are having trouble getting them established in qt maybe just skip this step.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using an Ammonia Badge? I'm just wondering if it's possible your rodi is showing ammonia in it. I have had that happen with chloramines breaking through my rodi system, also people with cats have reported ammonia in their rodi.
Just a thought
I do use them but didn't put one on that tank. I just replaced all the filters,less than a month ago. I could be possible, I'm going to check tomorrow and report back.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to fw dip them right on purchase? If you are having trouble getting them established in qt maybe just skip this step.
Just thought it would be better to FW dip them before so once they are in Qt I don't have to move them again.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are most likely stressing them to death with travel + a fresh water dip right away. I had no luck with wrasses (carpenter & yellow coris) till I stopped doing TTM right away and left them in a non-medicated QT for 7-10 days or so to acclimate and get feeding well.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are most likely stressing them to death with travel + a fresh water dip right away. I had no luck with wrasses (carpenter & yellow coris) till I stopped doing TTM right away and left them in a non-medicated QT for 7-10 days or so to acclimate and get feeding well.
I guessing that's the issue with this last one, but others where in QT for a while no problems and same routine. I normally wait about a week before I start ttm.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased another wrasse (C. solorensis) and he has been in QT for about 1.5 weeks. No meds, no FW dip. I want to start TTM on him. Should I conduct a FW dip before hand? He is not showing any symptoms of flukes, velvet or Ick. I do not want to use Prazipro either, I'm thinking General Cure, If I have to use meds. I would prefer not to use any on this one. What are your thoughts? @Humblefish, @melypr1985, @ngoodermuth, @4FordFamily

swensos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you matching temp and pH on the FW dip?

I've also had wrasses react poorly to FW dips. If they are still freaking out after the one minute mark, I quickly get them out of the FW and back in the tank.

I have also aggressively treated wrasses with prazi, usually after three days of eating well, and had them all get through it easily. You can always dose it slowly over the first day to see if there is any adverse reaction.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back