0 nitrate because of turf algae, now have dino starting to show up...

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 year old tank. A few months ago I increased my light cycle length and also the intensity. This has caused some turf algae, but the corals have never been happier. However, because of the turf algae, my Nitrate has dropped to 0 (they usually are 5 ppm). My phosphate is still steady at .07ppm. However, I am starting to see dino now. Odds are this is because of the 0 nitrate, but its only zero because of the turf algae. Should I dose nitrate anyway? Feel like its a lose/lose situation. Seems like adding nitrate would just fuel more turf algae...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks are mature and established and dinos sometimes come and go. They appear for a while in small patches and then disappear again on their own. My nitrate is about .1-.2 which you need an ICP test to even detect. I don't think that never having a dino is a a reasonable expectation unless your raise your N and P so high than you poison them, and then you could have other issues.

I would wait and see if you get some that comes and goes or if they turn into a disaster. Patience might be good on this one.

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in a similar situation and my course of action was to dose nitrate. After doing this dinos disappeared and nitrate stuck at a constant 5ppm without dosing anymore.
Recently i did a couple of water changes which brought my nitrate back to 0 and bryopsis popped up.
My opinion is that my tank needs measurable nitrate or bad things happen.
I aould at very least try raise nitrate to 2-5 and see what happens

OP
OP
MadTownFess

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in a similar situation and my course of action was to dose nitrate. After doing this dinos disappeared and nitrate stuck at a constant 5ppm without dosing anymore.
Recently i did a couple of water changes which brought my nitrate back to 0 and bryopsis popped up.
My opinion is that my tank needs measurable nitrate or bad things happen.
I aould at very least try raise nitrate to 2-5 and see what happens
Yea I dosed NeoNeitro tonight, dont want to go down the dino road again. Been there, done that.

Garf

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t subscribe to low nitrate directly growing dinos. It may be down to the fact that intensely lit algae tend to leak organics especially when either, limited by nutrients itself or, because iodine is low (which is formed into an antioxidant), thereby protecting its photosynthetic apparatus.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 99 49.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back