0 Nitrates cause of LPS tissue loss?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dose Nitrate while the PO4 is only .01 it could bottom out the PO4 to 0.0 and cause Dino’s in a 5-month old tank. So my logic is wait until the PO4 goes up a bit before dosing Nitrate to possibly avoid Dino’s by doing too much at once.

I never said anything about “raising phosphate and then lowering it to where it already is.”
He is currently at .01. That’s way too low! His corals are dying from no nutrients.
I never said anything about lowering Nitrate either....

I don’t understand your logic of feeding more. Why? All he has to do is take the GFO offline and the PO4 will increase without feeding more. Then the PO4 can be managed with beneficial bacteria until the tank balances out.

Ah my bad for some reason I mixed up op's phosphate level with a different thread. Yes both should go up, but the mcirobacter part is what I don't get, why would you raise it just to lower it instead of shooting for the target nitrate and phosphate from the get go. Feeding more may raise nitrate and will produce more ammonia of which may be preferably to nitrate. You did mention dosing microbacter to get the two back in a ratio, which may reduce nitrate and phosphate). By dosing this after adding nitrate and phosphate, the OP will just be decreasing them to wherever they want the levels to be of which they could have just achieved by dosing straight to those levels. PS If my wording doesn't make sense my apologies I am a bit tired lol

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah my bad for some reason I mixed up op's phosphate level with a different thread. Yes both should go up, but the mcirobacter part is what I don't get, why would you raise it just to lower it instead of shooting for the target nitrate and phosphate from the get go. Feeding more may raise nitrate and will produce more ammonia of which may be preferably to nitrate. You did mention dosing microbacter to get the two back in a ratio, which may reduce nitrate and phosphate). By dosing this after adding nitrate and phosphate, the OP will just be decreasing them to wherever they want the levels to be of which they could have just achieved by dosing straight to those levels. PS If my wording doesn't make sense my apologies I am a bit tired lol
Yes, I said to dose MB7 to keep the PO4 at a healthy amount (after the GFO is offline) and dose NeoNitro to keep the Nitrate at a healthy amount. By doing this he should be able to dial in the 50x to 100x ratio PO4 to NO3 ratio I was talking about and avoid dinos and coral death.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I said to dose MB7 to keep the PO4 at a healthy amount (after the GFO is offline) and dose NeoNitro to keep the Nitrate at a healthy amount. By doing this he should be able to dial in the 50x to 100x ratio PO4 to NO3 ratio I was talking about and avoid dinos and coral death.

Ahhhhh that makes more sense. Thank you for taking the time to answer

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back