0 nutrients? Feeding algae?

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 4 months old, and when i started i had 0 phosphate, and 0 nitrate. Because i had my skimmer running everyday, and socks in. I didnt know any better. One day i was checking my water and it was 0 phosphate 0 nitrate with hanna. So i turned off my skimmer, pulled the socks out. I was feeding. But it didnt work out my nutrients was still 0. Now i started dosing nitrate went back to 10. And phosphate was 0.04 now went back to 0.01 with dosing. Do i increase my phosphate dosing? Iv been dosing everyday. I have dinos in my tank right now. Or if i continue dosing im only feeding my dinos? I put water changes on hold as i was doing it everyday. I might do a 5 gallons water change tomorrow.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep dosing til they are stable. Tro 5ppm nitrate and 0.03-0.05ppm phosphate Keep the socks in though, as they help prevent the sump from getting nasty

Mrtakeoff53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do NOT do a water change! <~READ THAT AGAIN

Good job pulling your socks and turning your skimmer off for a bit. You have tested your water and it shows low nutrients and also have dinos which confirms low nutrients. I’ve had them before and it was due to low nutrients. Get that water dirty. Get that PO4 up and NO3 steady at 10-25. I shoot for PO4 at 0.06-0.12.

Do you have a heavy fish load? If so, feed more. Your parameters will naturally rise. If you have a light fish load, feed heavy and keep dosing until you get your parameters in line. When the green algae returns on your glass with a vengeance, you’ll know you succeeded.

One last thing, DO NOT DO A WATER CHANGE.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back