0 tds to 7 ppm?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i filled my ato chamber in my sump for evaporation. And when i was adjusting my ato from air bubbles tested again and it was 7 ppn after it was at 0. Is that normal? Because the human skin, dust and etc? And is the water still safe to use.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably some kind of contamination in the ATO chamber...
Is it an open top system?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reading of 7 tds isn't that big an issue as much as what is it that makes up the tds? If you had some calcium, sweat or tap water on your hand, it's no issue at all. But if you had weed killer, bug spray or soap on your hands, it could be an issue.

I use to run a tank where my water was always in the 10 to 20 tds range and I never had any issues. But my tds was from the city water, not from something on my hands.

All things considered, I'd say at 7 tds, you are probably OK. Just keep checking the tds and keep your hands clean. But if changing the ato water is really easy, just change it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably stirred up material that was settled at the bottom of the ATO reservoir. If you let the water in the ATO settle and retest in a few hours, your TDS will likely go down.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back