1̶0̶0̶0̶ 600 gallon "ish" build

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is finally happening. The tank of my dreams is starting to become a reality! Well, my realistic dreams anyway :) I am sure many of us would just build our homes underwater on a reef if it was feasible! This will be what I am terming a "low and slow" build, which is why I have waited so long to start a build thread. I have been working on everything since January and I am still a couple months away from the tank being on site. Speaking of the tank, it will be 8x4x4 and roughly 1000 gallons, or 861.1 gallons using internal dimensions. Hence the "ish" :)

Before I get too far in to this thread, I have to make a couple acknowledgements! I have a few friends that have been INSTRUMENTAL in keeping me going during this build. Whether encouraging me when I have been disappointed with the progress, sharing in the joy when things go right, or when I needed a kick in the pants when I was being lazy, they have all been there. They played no SMALL part in getting this build thread up! I fully expect an "Its about time!" from each of them. I will let them chime in with their screen names if they would like to, but Calvin, Travis, and Dave, you are all spectacular people and I count myself lucky to call each of you my friend! OK, sappy out of the way, on to the build!

The tank will be built on site by Bill Wann (Yes, 20,000 gallon "tank" Bill Wann) of Aquarium Engineering! He has already built me a custom skimmer and calcium reactor and they are top notch equipment! He will also be building a custom titanium heat exchanger and a 450 watt UV sterilizer to run on my closed loop.

I will start with a mock up I did in Sketchup of the display side. This will be an in wall system situated in front of my desk where I work everyday!

This will be the layout of the fish room. The skimmer will likely move to the other side of the basement past the furnace and water heater, but this is close enough!

My fish room is also shared with my laundry area, but it works! There is a dedicated and separate frag tank and fish quarantine system. I will also maintain a coral quarantine system in another room. I will continue to maintain a strict fish and coral QT process. I know many of you will disagree, and that is OK! I have been burned and lost nearly everything. If it happens again, it won't be because I didn't quarantine!

Next post, the end of the beginning? Starting where many build threads start, the tear down of the old system!

Heads up, there is going to be a LOT of content up front! I have 3 months of progress to get through...

Don

Last edited:
OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build starts with the end of a system that was running for nearly 6 years. It had its ups and downs. But in the end, I had the opportunity to upgrade, and to do so, I decided I needed to start with a clean slate! The tank was in rough shape at the end. Long story short, I got some aiptasia in the tank I just could NOT get under control. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to start fresh.

Some final pics of the old system before it was shutdown on February 21, 2020.

All of my fish are being held for me while the build happens. I have kept that achilles for 2 years and he is fat and happy! I miss them being here, but I am building them a better long term home!

And a few pics from when everything was rocking!

And now...... Empty! :oops:

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I wanted to get done was get my new Fish QT setup running. A friend made this generous donation!

It needed a few repairs, and a few more repairs once I got it down in the basement..... oops....

But I pushed through and got it solid and put back together again over the course of a couple weeks.

I modified a Fluval FX6 I had so I could plumb it in via PVC. This serves as the return pump and main filtration for Fish QT.

Holding water and cycle started!

Don

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once fish QT was done, my focus shifted to tearing out the old stands. Very thankful for the help of my wife and my oldest son! They have also been a huge help through all of this. You never realize how much fish crap you have until you start tearing it all apart!

A little organization along the way!

Old sump now re-purposed for the separate frag tank.

Frag tank running and cycling!

Don

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be built on site by Bill Wann (Yes, 20,000 gallon "tank" Bill Wann) of Aquarium Engineering! He has already built me a custom skimmer and calcium reactor and they are top notch equipment! He will also be building a custom titanium heat exchanger and a 450 watt UV sterilizer to run on my closed loop.

I shall be interested to see how that works out.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I recognize that old system. When were you going to tell me you were upgrading??o_O

Just Kidding. This has been fun watching you plan and help a little along the way. Once you up in Michigan get done with your stay at home orders I will have to get back up there and see the progress in person.

Can't wait to watch this thing come together.

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrical! One of the often overlooked, but %100 necessary steps to any large build, or any build for that matter, is the safe delivery of electricity around all of this water! I decided to install a dedicated sub panel fed by a 90 amp breaker for this system. Half of the breakers are dual function Combo CAFCI/GFCI and the rest are plain GFCI, because I had them, and I was also concerned the MH ballasts would trip an arc fault breaker. The 2 pole breaker is dedicated for my 2HP closed loop pump.

I decided to use all grey outlets so everyone in the house knew not to touch those outlets and that they were dedicated to the tank!

Don

Last edited:
OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I recognize that old system. When were you going to tell me you were upgrading??o_O

Just Kidding. This has been fun watching you plan and help a little along the way. Once you up in Michigan get done with your stay at home orders I will have to get back up there and see the progress in person.

Can't wait to watch this thing come together.

Thanks Calvin! I can't wait to see your new system come together as well! We should have plenty of coral to spread around up here in the midwest once we are done!

Don

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now is one of those times that being a reef hoarder is a GOOD thing! I pulled together all of my rock that I have been collecting for nearly 15 years. Much of it is old school fiji you can't get anymore. Lots of pukani, fiji, tonga, and some bali rock in there too. I am going to need every bit of it for this new build! Rock is sitting in round 1 of 10:1 bleach!

Don

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don, electrical looks very clean and well laid out. And glad you were able to find enough bleach to do your rocks. That is a hot commodity these days.

Hot tip, if you are looking for bleach, go find some "Pool Shock". The trick is, you need to find some that is just Sodium Hypochlorite and water, no extra anything. Works great! I get mine locally at Rural King. Cheaper than bottles of bleach and is a higher concentration of Sodium Hypochlorite!

Don

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded RODI. Got a GREAT deal on a NOS Vertex Puratek 200 GPD RODI unit! Drinking water now runs off of the old RO unit from The Filter Guys. I really miss both of these companies, but I digress. I run dual of each DI stage (Cation, Anion, and Mixed Bed) and multiple carbon stages. My source water is pretty crummy and I hate changing DI cartridges. This lets me run a little longer if I get lazy :)

Don

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back