OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April 2021 - The Avoidable Mistake

In March I purchased a couple new fish I consider my personal favorites. An Achilles Tang and a Blonde Naso Tang.

This is where I make a critical mistake. First a little background.

A number of years back I had a weird disease outbreak in my tank and lost a lot of prized fish. After that I became a strong believer in QT. I quarantined EVERYTHING. Fish, Coral, Inverts... If it went in the display, it went through QT.

Back to present, I was incredibly discouraged that after all of my efforts to keep my tank disease free, I saw ich spots on my Fowleri. In a moment of weekness, I ordered the Achilles and Blonde naso, acclimated them, and dropped them in the tank. They both looked healthy and clear of any disease....

A few days later, I started to notice ich spots on the Achilles. Another couple days later I started to notice more spots on the Fowleri. Then the Yellow Belly Regal, then the purples, then the yellows... Over 2 weeks it got REALLY bad. I finally broke down and decided I needed to act. By this time the Achilles was looking terrible and completely covered.

This brings up to 4/4/2021, 2 days after contracting Covid and feeling about the worst I have ever felt in my life, I begin the process.

My frag tank and display are plumbed together, but luckily I designed it in such a way, if the need ever arose, I could easily separate them. Well, it arose... I replumbed the frag tank and separated the 2, pulled all the corals from the display, and pulled all the fish from the frag tank and put them in the sump for the display.

Once I disconnected the 2 systems, I decided it was time to deal with another little problem I was having... Planaria Flatworms in the frag tank. It was pretty bad so I pulled all the rocks, corals, frag racks, everything from the tank and dipped them separately in Flatworm Exit to remove the majority of the flatworms. I also performed a %80 water change and manually removed what I could see in the empty frag tank.

Once everything was dipped separately I put everything back in the frag tank and then did a full tank flatwork exit treatment as well to try to catch the last remaining stragglers.

Frag tank done... On to the display.

Once all the corals were pulled I started down the road of treating the entire display with CP. This is no small feat treating a biologically established 700g system. I chose CP because I have a Zebra Moray Eel and a Dogface Puffer in the sump and copper would likely be a death sentence for them. The puffer I could remove but the eel is near impossible to get out of the tank. CP it is.

I started treatment that day, on 4/4/2021. I dosed the tank with a full dose of CP at 60mg/Gallon. I then proceeded for the next 2 weeks to do a %10 maintenance dose every day since CP degrades in a biologically active tank.

Everything was looking good, until 4/20/2021. I saw ICH on the Achilles! I made it 16 days, but ich re-appeared. The only answer I could come up with was CP was degrading faster than I had thought. After a little spreadsheet math, on 4/21/2021, I repeated the full dosage again and this time around I tripled my daily dose to counteract the degradation.

That brings us to today. Second time around, spots are slowly disappearing on the Achilles, but he has developed a bit of lymphocystis. That should clear up once the CP treatment is over, but I am watching him closely. All fish are eating like pigs and doing well so far so I am going to stay the course!

No other fish are showing signs of ich at this point, so I am hoping I am in the home stretch. 2 weeks to go!

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April 2021 - The Avoidable Mistake

In March I purchased a couple new fish I consider my personal favorites. An Achilles Tang and a Blonde Naso Tang.

This is where I make a critical mistake. First a little background.

A number of years back I had a weird disease outbreak in my tank and lost a lot of prized fish. After that I became a strong believer in QT. I quarantined EVERYTHING. Fish, Coral, Inverts... If it went in the display, it went through QT.

Back to present, I was incredibly discouraged that after all of my efforts to keep my tank disease free, I saw ich spots on my Fowleri. In a moment of weekness, I ordered the Achilles and Blonde naso, acclimated them, and dropped them in the tank. They both looked healthy and clear of any disease....

A few days later, I started to notice ich spots on the Achilles. Another couple days later I started to notice more spots on the Fowleri. Then the Yellow Belly Regal, then the purples, then the yellows... Over 2 weeks it got REALLY bad. I finally broke down and decided I needed to act. By this time the Achilles was looking terrible and completely covered.

This brings up to 4/4/2021, 2 days after contracting Covid and feeling about the worst I have ever felt in my life, I begin the process.

My frag tank and display are plumbed together, but luckily I designed it in such a way, if the need ever arose, I could easily separate them. Well, it arose... I replumbed the frag tank and separated the 2, pulled all the corals from the display, and pulled all the fish from the frag tank and put them in the sump for the display.

Once I disconnected the 2 systems, I decided it was time to deal with another little problem I was having... Planaria Flatworms in the frag tank. It was pretty bad so I pulled all the rocks, corals, frag racks, everything from the tank and dipped them separately in Flatworm Exit to remove the majority of the flatworms. I also performed a %80 water change and manually removed what I could see in the empty frag tank.

Once everything was dipped separately I put everything back in the frag tank and then did a full tank flatwork exit treatment as well to try to catch the last remaining stragglers.

Frag tank done... On to the display.

Once all the corals were pulled I started down the road of treating the entire display with CP. This is no small feat treating a biologically established 700g system. I chose CP because I have a Zebra Moray Eel and a Dogface Puffer in the sump and copper would likely be a death sentence for them. The puffer I could remove but the eel is near impossible to get out of the tank. CP it is.

I started treatment that day, on 4/4/2021. I dosed the tank with a full dose of CP at 60mg/Gallon. I then proceeded for the next 2 weeks to do a %10 maintenance dose every day since CP degrades in a biologically active tank.

Everything was looking good, until 4/20/2021. I saw ICH on the Achilles! I made it 16 days, but ich re-appeared. The only answer I could come up with was CP was degrading faster than I had thought. After a little spreadsheet math, on 4/21/2021, I repeated the full dosage again and this time around I tripled my daily dose to counteract the degradation.

That brings us to today. Second time around, spots are slowly disappearing on the Achilles, but he has developed a bit of lymphocystis. That should clear up once the CP treatment is over, but I am watching him closely. All fish are eating like pigs and doing well so far so I am going to stay the course!

No other fish are showing signs of ich at this point, so I am hoping I am in the home stretch. 2 weeks to go!

Hold the course Don. Can't wait to see those fish swimming around happy and healthy.

Humongous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep them going in the CP and it will all work out. I had the same result when I had to treat my entire tank years ago. Lympho came and went, it will pass once the CP is cleared out. When your water quality improves after CP the lympho will be gone.

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are still trucking, 6 more days of CP! I had to catch and move the yellow belly regal, it was laying on the bottom and was on death's door, I grabbed him and moved him to my 300g rubbermaid bin that is holding rock at the moment (Separate from the tank) fully expecting him to be dead by morning. He made it roughly 5 weeks in CP, which is good because they don't tolerate CP well. Good news is that move was 3 days ago and he is improving and started eating again! I might save him yet.

Don

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will likely create another thread for this, but I wanted to include it here as well.

I can finally announce my new lights! I have been running the Neptune SKY on my tank for several months. I am loving it so far! PAR spread is phenomenal and manages to punch down the 36" depth of my tank. Feel free to ask questions. I will share what I can. I honestly never thought I would be persuaded to switch from Metal Halide, but here I am!

PAR map and spectrum settings below.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are still trucking, 6 more days of CP! I had to catch and move the yellow belly regal, it was laying on the bottom and was on death's door, I grabbed him and moved him to my 300g rubbermaid bin that is holding rock at the moment (Separate from the tank) fully expecting him to be dead by morning. He made it roughly 5 weeks in CP, which is good because they don't tolerate CP well. Good news is that move was 3 days ago and he is improving and started eating again! I might save him yet.

Don

In the home stretch on the treatment. Glad to hear it. Glad you were able to catch the regal and that he is improving once removed to the rubbermaid. Hope he continues to eat and improve for you.

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the home stretch on the treatment. Glad to hear it. Glad you were able to catch the regal and that he is improving once removed to the rubbermaid. Hope he continues to eat and improve for you.

4 MORE DAYS!!! 5/20 will be my final dose of CP. Everything is still eating well and most are looking great. The Achilles still has that weird lympho/spot thing going on, but I HAVE to be dosing enough CP at this point. I have been dosing 12 grams a day as a daily maintenance dose for roughly 700 gallons of water. Basically every 3 days I am doing a full therapeutic CP dose. If it is degrading faster than that, I give up :)

CP is an biologically established system is guesswork anyway. Finish off this round, get the rest of the parts for my UV and hope everything stays in check from here on out!

Don

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is the day! Performing a 200 gallon water change and then testing phosphate, which I am worried will be off the charts with as much CP as I dumped in this tank. I am able to do 200 gallon water changes roughly once ever 24 hours, so I will probably be doing some big changes frequently in the coming days.

Achilles is struggling with Lymphocystis for sure, but I am hoping it clears up on its own once water quality improves.

Don

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP treatment is complete. I have performed 2 x 200g water changes and dosed roughly 20ml of Lanthanum Chloride and my phosphates are still reading over 2.5ppm on my Hanna checker. I will be doing another 200g water tomorrow and another 20ml of LC. The water sample is literally Kool Aid blue! Hopefully I can get these phosphates down. They must have been through the roof. No wonder I am having issues with Lymphocystis…

Don

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600g of water changes and 40ml LC later, phosphates still over 2.5ppm! I’ll be doing another 200 gallons on Friday and I guess more LC tomorrow. This is NUTS!

Don

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing a lot of research and now the lympho I saw was gone but there is still something else left. It looks like it might be neobenedenia melleni. I am also seeing some cloudy eyes in some fish. I dosed general cure last night (prazi and metro) so we will see if I see any improvement today.

Don

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back