1” or 1 1/4” plumbing to basement

AlwaysSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a 120 gallon with eshopp 200 running 1” piping.
I’m looking to plumb into my basement into a sump stock tank. I wanna incorporate a 3 gate valve manifold. I also have a AU classic 25watt sterilizer, a carbon reactor and 1” Neptune flow sensor to add in. I’m also running a Cor20 return pump.
Questions are.. am I better off converting to 1 1/4” as recommended by Neptune including bulkheads on the drain and return line or keeping everything 1 inch except the manifold which will go to 3/4?
Also uv sterilizer i want to control between parasites and algae. Mostly parasites as algae hasn’t been much of a problem. So I assume this will require its own pump and separate plumbing?
Also assume it’s better to use the flow sensor on the uv rather than the return line?
Thanks in advance!!

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding 1.25" bulkheads will be a nightmare/excessively expensive based on my prebuild experience. Stick with the 1" or go for 1.5"

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have not tried personally, my guess is that the COR is not going to perform all that well against significant head pressure. Consequently you will want to do whatever you can to minimize any further friction losses. Agree that 1 1/4" bulkheads are hard to find, so go up to 1 1/2". I use 1 1/2" on my basement return and the 2" apex flow sensor to minimize friction losses. Use the 1" sensor on your UV.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back