1.024 or 1.026, what's your preference and why?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about osmoregulation wouldn't they have to consume less water and filter less salt through their kidneys if the salinity is lower? Not disagreeing I'm just confused as to why a fish would prefer a higher salinity.
I don't have my fish bio books handy, but I wouldn't consider it a preference more than what their body is designed to do. If a fish can regulate salt content like anadromous fish then their organs would function like they should. Now if the SW fish in question have a range that is tighter because of life history then the organs should function best in that range I believe. I mean if you drop the salinity too much the fish would die and probably too high as well.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did I say that was 30 years old? (or wrong at any time???)

You are suggesting the saturation level of oxygen that I quoted has changed in 30 years?
The study I showed was from 2016.
I would like to see what your response was, but I didn’t know where to look. I am sorry I misspoke.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have my fish bio books handy, but I wouldn't consider it a preference more than what their body is designed to do. If a fish can regulate salt content like anadromous fish then their organs would function like they should. Now if the SW fish in question have a range that is tighter because of life history then the organs should function best in that range I believe. I mean if you drop the salinity too much the fish would die and probably too high as well.
By pref I mean within the tolerable range for said species the barrimundi chose 35ppt over 25ppt but why when their bodies have to work harder to stay hydrated and they need to drink more water? It would make the most survival sense to take the less energy intensive route.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about osmoregulation wouldn't they have to consume less water and filter less salt through their kidneys if the salinity is lower? Not disagreeing I'm just confused as to why a fish would prefer a higher salinity.

A "why" something is the way it is cannot ever have a perfect answer without understanding how the fish got to be a fish, and is way beyond any discussion here, but brackish estuaries are not a magnet for marine fish looking to osmoregulate more easily. I guess they have the right tools to live in their natural habitat.

People in Texas like Texas, and people in NY like NY. Neither understands why the other prefers it. lol

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "why" something is the way it is cannot ever have a perfect answer without understanding how the fish got to be a fish, and is way beyond any discussion here, but brackish estuaries are not a magnet for marine fish looking to osmoregulate more easily. I guess they have the right tools to live in their natural habitat.

People in Texas like Texas, and people in NY like NY. Neither understands why the other prefers it. lol
I hate new York and new Jersey!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which is a better overall salinity for fish, 1.024 or 1.026 and why?
there is no answer to this question as it is. 1.024 is a salinity of about 31 ppt. 1.026 is about 35 ppt. So - normally people say 'reef tank's are best at about 35 ppt. Fish only tanks can be lower - or 35 - so it depends on what you're keeping in the tank. MY 'reef' tank - has been between 1.024 - and 1.027 with no difference. EXCEPT - when you mix your salt to a certain specific gravity - everything in that salt mix will also increase (alkalinity, calcium, etc etc etc)

Last edited:

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't care much for coral or just have some basic soft and or LPS corals then it really does not matter much. They will still do well at 1.024 as long as things are stable. Oxygen in the water also is not directly reflected by salinity level, but it does impact it. Ph and Alk also can play a role.
BUT the amount of surface agitation, temperature levels, and or a skimmer can impact oxygen levels in the water, and help with Ph. There are bigger things to worry about in my opinion such as excess nutrients in the water, and how that can impact things. At the end of the day it is your choice, and the animals can survive in a larger range of conditions.

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go with 35ppt (1.026) as I’ve always thought it was the standard and what reefs are at in nature. From a quick search on noaa.gov, it seems there’s actually quite a wide range, “Most reef-building corals also require very saline (salty) water ranging from 32 to 42 parts per thousand.” Since I’ve always gone with 35ppt and my reef tanks have been fairly successful, that’s what I’ll stick with. Reef or fish only, I’d think that since they generally share the same habitat, they’d prefer the same conditions. With salinity (and other parameters) I’d think stability would be more important than anything.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did a little research:

1. There is considerable variation in salinity (in the mediterranean 38 ppt.
2. After storms/hurricaines/heavy flooding/drought, etc it can range (on the reef) between 25-40 ppt elsewhere (like Australia)
3. Short 'changes' in salinity are not as harmful as large changes that persist.
4. There is a lot of variation between species - as to tolerability to salinity.

Thus it seems to me - whether 1.024 or 1.026 - stability is more important than the absolute number. Studies have also shown that coral growth will slow at lower salinity. Also most people don't realize the significant different between 1.026 and 1.024 - which is a change of about 11 percent. Thus - to me - its important to slowly acclimate coral from what ever salinity it was sold at - and gradually adjust it to the salinity in the display tank. This may be a good reason to 'quarantine' coral - depending on the salinity difference - over a couple weeks - because large changes can cause a lot of the problems everyone sees 'RTN, STN, Bleaching'

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever think about the fish that have never seen the ocean and have been kept at a lower salinity their whole lives? What would be better for them?

What about the person that has lived at sea level their whole life. Are you saying they can never live in the mountains because the O2 concentration is a little lower there?

If your LFS is insisting that this is an issue, they will try to sell you anything and I would find a different LFS to take advice from. JMO :).

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the person that has lived at sea level their whole life. Are you saying they can never live in the mountains because the O2 concentration is a little lower there?

If your LFS is insisting that this is an issue, they will try to sell you anything and I would find a different LFS to take advice from. JMO :).
No, he's very intelligent. And that was my thought. No need to be mad about it. Chill out!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I guess - I'm not understanding what you're talking about (I didnt see any place where he stated that his LFS said anything like that - i.e. maybe I missed it?). Keeping a tank at a lower salinity would cost the store money - because they were selling less salt over time.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess - I'm not understanding what you're talking about (I didnt see any place where he stated that his LFS said anything like that - i.e. maybe I missed it?). Keeping a tank at a lower salinity would cost the store money - because they were selling less salt over time.
*Would cost the store less money*

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
*Would cost the store less money*
I meant what I said. BUT I said it poorly:). The comment I was replying to said something if the store is insisting on xxx, get a new store, because they will sell you anything (implying that that store would be making more money.

My point was 1)the other post was unclear. 2) though the store might make a little money by keeping their salinity at whatever (lower amount), they will lose money because for every 10 gallons in the store, there are probably 1000 gallons in the community - and if they recommend a lower salinity - they will sell less salt - thus less income.

Again - I didn't entirely understand the post

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, My lfs guy keeps his at 1.024 at home and around 1.022 in the store. He said being that i just put a fish in the tank to wait at least a month before I get another one. Also told me to wait about 4 months to add coral. So, I don't think he's in solely for money.
I meant what I said. BUT I said it poorly:). The comment I was replying to said something if the store is insisting on xxx, get a new store, because they will sell you anything (implying that that store would be making more money.

My point was 1)the other post was unclear. 2) though the store might make a little money by keeping their salinity at whatever (lower amount), they will lose money because for every 10 gallons in the store, there are probably 1000 gallons in the community - and if they recommend a lower salinity - they will sell less salt - thus less income.

Again - I didn't entirely understand the post

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back