1/2” plywood stand diy “wooding” For IM 25 gallon lagoon

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to use kreg pocket screws, go shallow. If you use their recommended depth your screws will drive through the wood you are trying to attach to. I didn’t want to drill all these holes, it was necessity.

24x20x36” still unsure how I will do the front door.

My three year old has done some Home Depot kids classes and was really excited about measuring, gluing, screwing and painting a fish tank stand. He calls it “wooding” and really enjoys it.

Does anyone know if I need to fill those empty holes with glue? I’m concerned about losing strength since it’s only 1/2” ply. Will update when the baby goes back to sleep.
31291C12-1C0B-4DED-ABFE-3CB36564CE67.jpeg

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to fill the holes. The screws won't back out. If you glued the joints together, that will probably hold better than the screws. When I built my first stand, I used 1/2" plywood. I routed rabbit joints for the panels to sit into and drove a couple screws into the ends of the panels. It held up great for 2 years with a 29 gal DT and 20 gal sump.

OP
OP
cpschult

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to fill the holes. The screws won't back out. If you glued the joints together, that will probably hold better than the screws. When I built my first stand, I used 1/2" plywood. I routed rabbit joints for the panels to sit into and drove a couple screws into the ends of the panels. It held up great for 2 years with a 29 gal DT and 20 gal sump.

I got out the three screws that I drove through. Moved that board to the bottom and sanded the punctures down.

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you used the right length screw for the 1/2” ply?

The only time I’ve had them punch through is when I place the screw in at the wrong angle in the pocket hole when I drive them in. Make sure you have the screw inside the small pilot hole in the pocket.

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you don’t need that many screws. They are more for clamping and alignment purposes while you do your glue-up than anything.

OP
OP
cpschult

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you used the right length screw for the 1/2” ply?

The only time I’ve had them punch through is when I place the screw in at the wrong angle in the pocket hole when I drive them in. Make sure you have the screw inside the small pilot hole in the pocket.

Yeah. I used 1” rough. It didn’t punch far but enough to punch wood up on other side.

Also you don’t need that many screws. They are more for clamping and alignment purposes while you do your glue-up than anything.

Kit said one every six inches or so. I drilled one set of holes deep. After realizing I couldn’t use I redrilled shallower. Wish I had played with it and built something else before going straight to stand. Oh well lesson learned!

Last edited:

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I used 1” rough. It didn’t punch far but enough to punch wood up on other side.

Kit said one every six inches or so. I drilled one set of holes deep. After realizing I couldn’t use I redrilled shallower. Wish I had played with it and built something else before going straight to stand. Oh well lesson learned!

Just thought of something else...be sure to check the collet on the drill bit to make sure it’s set at the right depth. That could definitely make you push through. I can’t remember specifically, but I do remember the instructions being a little confusing on where to align the collet.

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought of something else...be sure to check the collet on the drill bit to make sure it’s set at the right depth. That could definitely make you push through. I can’t remember specifically, but I do remember the instructions being a little confusing on where to align the collet.

Actually, I just realized that’s exactly what you were explaining in your previous post lol

OP
OP
cpschult

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a wood worker, don’t judge me to harshly. If I could start again I’d do all the kreg screws from the outside and just plan on covering with trim. That and/or assemble in a different order.

My son enjoyed this so much we put together a little stand to store toy bins after. Almost done painting that with him. When We’re done I’ll upload pictures. He already wants to do a book case for his room (he saw booklet that came with Kreg Jig).

523CA71C-292F-4B72-9BA0-36F7D75F6448.jpeg

OP
OP
cpschult

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got sidetracked by another project. Hoping to get trim and base paint coat on stand. My son really wants to paint it but I want to get something water proof underneath it before he does.

026E9001-2966-48D2-84F8-EBB48A88BEC7.jpeg

Back