1.5 month old tank...turn on lights?

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. So as the title says, I have a 1.5 month 215 gallon setup (55 gallon sump). Tank was initially filled May 6th and cycle completed June 4th. I added some livestock on June 8th (2 clownfish, 2 small hermit crabs) & again on 16 Jun (1 halloween crab, 4 scarlet crabs, & 6 trochus snails). I really wanted to keep my lights off for as long as possible so I can keep my ugly phase to a minimum. However, the 4 out of the 6 trochus snails don't move from 1 rock since I put them in. There's plenty of food to graze on since I overfeed purposely. Are the snails acting weird cause of no light? I do not have any algae at all, but I do have biofilm build up that 2 of the snails are eating and I feed them sinking algae pellets at night. Should I turn on my lights now? I have 2 Neptune skys, so I can program a modest lighting schedule to keep algae at a minimum. If I should turn lights on now, what power levels should I turn them on to, and how long per day should I keep them on? Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. So as the title says, I have a 1.5 month 215 gallon setup (55 gallon sump). Tank was initially filled May 6th and cycle completed June 4th. I added some livestock on June 8th (2 clownfish, 2 small hermit crabs) & again on 16 Jun (1 halloween crab, 4 scarlet crabs, & 6 trochus snails). I really wanted to keep my lights off for as long as possible so I can keep my ugly phase to a minimum. However, the 4 out of the 6 trochus snails don't move from 1 rock since I put them in. There's plenty of food to graze on since I overfeed purposely. Are the snails acting weird cause of no light? I do not have any algae at all, but I do have biofilm build up that 2 of the snails are eating and I feed them sinking algae pellets at night. Should I turn on my lights now? I have 2 Neptune skys, so I can program a modest lighting schedule to keep algae at a minimum. If I should turn lights on now, what power levels should I turn them on to, and how long per day should I keep them on? Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Most reefers I've met will say that you can't really avoid the uglies. Keep the nutrients in check and lights on or off won't really matter. You have the cuc who need that algae to thrive (trochus aren't moving because they are probably hungry!) and since they are in the system already they'll help keep nuisance algae in check. So I say throw them on! I had mine on from day one and never had a bloom that wasn't solved by balancing nutrients and having a solid cuc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
By all means , utilize lights. With new sand and rock, until silicates settle, you will not get away from uglies. When lights go on, they will appear. Adding Liquid bacteria will help with deitrification and compete with uglies.

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any corals atm? Not familiar with neptune lights but if they have an app they may have presets available to choose from as well!

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no corals in there at the moment. I won't put any until I clear out my biofilm build up. Looks like spider webs all over my tank lol. I was thinking to do a 12 hour light cycle, with the most intense being 2 hours about @ 50% power. I would do a nice easy ramp up and down from 5% to 50% & 50% to 5%, respectively. Anyone have any input? Should I do something different?

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the lights on. Until you have coral, intensity is your preference.

Here's how I have my (Apex controlled) sky setup:

-

07:00 - deep blue - 0%
08:00 - deep blue - 10%
09:00 - all blue - 25%
10:00 - AB+ - 40%
11:00 - Sky - 52%
12:00 - Coral Growth - 58%
13:30 - Coral Growth - 65%
15:00 - Coral Growth - 58%
16:00 - Sky - 52%
17:00 - AB+ - 40%
18:00 - All blue - 25%
19:00 - Deep blue - 10%
20:00 - Sunset - 0%
- moonlight - linked to lunar cycle

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your feedback! Lights are on now! I am just dealing with a biofilm breakout for the past few weeks. Strings of white spiderweb like mucus are all over the rocks and refugium. It is getting better, but what an ugly site. At least it isn't algae! Anyway, thanks everyone and thanks gbru for your lightning schedule. I will check that out!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back