1 AI prime or fluval sea and marine light bar?

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was set on DIY ing a light before, and I spent around 4 hours yesterday understanding everything it would take, and to get everything I wanted I ended up with a cost of around $150, and that is being nice ( plus the hours upon hours I would have to spend building, troubleshooting and such ) to give context, I also had help from both my parents, which are electrical engineers, and even they were confused. ( mostly about what types of resistors we needed, what power supply all of that. )

Now I am going back to the possibility of buying, and I would basically be willing to spend around $200 upfront to light my soon to be 40 breeder. I do not want to buy used, and I basically narrowed my options down to a fluval sea and marine light bar ( I have had amazing luck with their planted line and love the controllability ) or a singular ai prime.

I know that in the future I will want to get into lps, and possibly even sps, and there is no way the fluval could do that ( or at least based on the ratings ) and of course 1 ai prime count really cover the spread of a 40b, however the ai prime allows me to go back later and buy a second to get more advanced corals, where as trying to add light on to a light bar just looks janky.

would a single ai prime mounted on a 40b allow for at least some decent visual light and maybe enough for some softies and such in the middle of the tank, and also, although I don't want to buy used, what would be the main problem, say I were to pick up 2 used AIs?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for buying two used AI Primes. You could be probably get two of the HDs (not 16) for $300. Overall the AI is a better quality light and much more versatile. On a 40Br I would definitely recommend 3. Starting out with just one you will have a very noticeable spot light look. If you go with 2 you should have no trouble keeping LPS but may run into issues with SPS

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, if you will want corals, I don't like either option. The AI Prime will only light about half the tank, and it looks like the 36" bar is only 40 watts when cranked all the way up.

Now, if you went with 2 primes or 2 of the light bars, you'd be in business.

In your case, I would go with 1 black box (Marsaqua, viparspectra, etc). Well under 200 bucks and can grow any coral.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for buying two used AI Primes. You could be probably get two of the HDs (not 16) for $300. Overall the AI is a better quality light and much more versatile. On a 40Br I would definitely recommend 3. Starting out with just one you will have a very noticeable spot light look. If you go with 2 you should have no trouble keeping LPS but may run into issues with SPS
The sps is a stretch, by the time I can even afford sps I will probably have upgraded, thanks for your help! ( I think I will just go with 2 used AIs )

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, if you will want corals, I don't like either option. The AI Prime will only light about half the tank, and it looks like the 36" bar is only 40 watts when cranked all the way up.

Now, if you went with 2 primes or 2 of the light bars, you'd be in business.

In your case, I would go with 1 black box (Marsaqua, viparspectra, etc). Well under 200 bucks and can grow any coral.
alright, so If I were to go with black box, is there any chance something like this this would work? ( if you are wondering what is is it is basically a smart dimmer plug that can ramp up and ramp down to replicate sunrise and sunset, I am not sure if it would work with these types of light though.

Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, so If I were to go with black box, is there any chance something like this this would work? ( if you are wondering what is is it is basically a smart dimmer plug that can ramp up and ramp down to replicate sunrise and sunset, I am not sure if it would work with these types of light though.

Thanks for your help!
wait nope, since linking that lamp dimmer, I found one specifically made for aquariums, so would this one work?:

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both lights. Buddy of mine gave me his system and it came withthe fluval 2.0 light. The ai prime hd is a way better light than the fluval. The fluval will keep things alive, but not growing. I have a single ai prime on the 30in long tank. Its working fine so far. Just put lower light corals on the edges until you get a second light. First pic is fluval. Second ai prime.

Attachments

• Resized_20200811_194634.jpg
    Resized_20200811_194634.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 20201228_173510.jpg
    20201228_173510.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 142

erzwire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the fluval sea (2.0?) Over a 65 and it didn't grow much besides algae, the zoo med ho coral lights were a little better but when I switched to real coral lights (orphek compact), the growth and color was more than worth it. The fluval just lights the phyto lab now

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 2 AI Primes over my 40B for a year, and they’re growing everything. I started with a fluval, and it was total junk. I wouldn’t recommend them for anything other than a FOWLR tank.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 2 AI Primes over my 40B for a year, and they’re growing everything. I started with a fluval, and it was total junk. I wouldn’t recommend them for anything other than a FOWLR tank.
That seems to be the popular opinion! Sounds like I will stay away from those!

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Fluval 3.0 , for the price point it's a nice little unit to bump my existing T5's, I like the blend of both. Tank is softies , anemone...
So it sounds like it’s a nice supplement to lights but not a light to be used alone :) I will just stay away from those, seems like too much money for such a mediocre product.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like it’s a nice supplement to lights but not a light to be used alone :) I will just stay away from those, seems like too much money for such a mediocre product.
Oh for sure....imo NOT mediocre, but about affordability as well...it's a really user friendly light, but just needs supplement. For someone with T5's it adds the shimmer effect of an LED, and gives best of both on an lps system, for sps no, not worth your effort, gotta go with more punch for sure.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back