1 aiptasia and not looking for an outbreak

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i had a really nice pandora piece and it had aiptasia on the bottom. I reacted and threw it RIGHT into compost but i missed the super glue. How long does it take for aiptasia to shoot out its eggs and get into my tank

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not a way to really answer that. They can spread just from a piece of it being left, but also by releasing "spores". Theoretically it could have done so 1 second after entering tank.

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience. After not introducing anything wet for 12 months, I suddenly had a piece of aptasia growing on my frogspawn, which has been in the tank for 2 years. I pulled the frogspawn out and then used a small syringe and boiling water. I squired the boiling water on the aptasia. Haven't seen any since. The aptasia was probably on the frogspawn for at least a day or two before I noticed, it was pretty hidden. I think you should be fine. If you do get anymore, I highly recommend the syringe approach.

Good luck!

Fergus

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is not a way to really answer that. They can spread just from a piece of it being left, but also by releasing "spores". Theoretically it could have done so 1 second after entering tank.
Months. I had 1 - I removed it - added nothing else. some showed up

Get the Berghia

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found two, about a week apart I think, on the same zoa plate thing. Idk what to call it, it’s a square plate thing with no peg on the bottom. Anyhoo, I picked them off because they were tiny and between the zoas. I also don’t have syringes on hand. Haven’t seen any more pop up yet.

Likwit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear by peppermint shrimp. I had an aiptasia garden and purchased 4 shrimp and they went to work immediately. Took them about 3 weeks or so to clear the tank.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno. I had a vendor send me some rastas with 6+ aiptasia on the frag. I had them in the tank for the morning then did the same thing you did once I saw them. Threw the whole frag out. It’s been about 4-5 months and I haven’t seen a single one. One caveat. I have a single peppermint shrimp in a 90 so not sure if he’s taken care of any that have shown up without me noticing.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just can't let a piece of it survive. People often make more of them when part of the polyp rolls somewhere else. That is why superglue all over them is the best way to stop them from spreading. It takes about 14 days for the aiptasia to wholly form after being split off.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear by peppermint shrimp. I had an aiptasia garden and purchased 4 shrimp and they went to work immediately. Took them about 3 weeks or so to clear the tank.
You just can't let a piece of it survive. People often make more of them when part of the polyp rolls somewhere else. That is why superglue all over them is the best way to stop them from spreading. It takes about 14 days for the aiptasia to wholly form after being split off.
i
I threw it away... my favorite zoa too

Back