1 aiptasia in my zoas

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one aiptasia popping out of my zoa frag. It looks to be growing out of the tissue that connects the zoas. If I superglue or epoxy over the aiptasia and consequently the connecting tissue, I assume that’s going to also kill the closest zoa polyps? will it kill the whole frag??
This is literally the only one I have (well, that I can see). It came in on a frag plug I received yesterday so good chance there will be more.
Any other suggestions?
73342BF9-22D4-4118-A124-19677DB2A470.jpeg
8FB893E5-FC35-4340-ACB5-926DDFDA16F0.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible it will harm the closest zoa, depending on how well you apply the superglue, but in all likelyhood, the zoas will be unaffected if you smother it. Have you also considered injecting the mouth will kalk or a commercial preperation?

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Joey Bekius they are nice and I would like to keep them! Not at the expense of an aiptasia break out though.

@andrewey I had a small amount (3 that I could see) in a smaller tank last year and was lucky enough to get a peppermint shrimp that ate them. Both the peps I had are gone now so I haven’t tried any other methods. I do not have any aiptasia treatment stuff on hand, anything would have to be bought, syringe and all.

Would prefer super glue but if it’s going to kill the whole frag then I would just throw it in the trash for fear of the aiptasia spreading. You can see in the photo that the nearest polyps aren’t open so it does seem to be bothering them.

So conflicted...I looked over these plugs with a magnifying glass when they came in and that little bugger was very much hidden. All the polyps were closed up too, so I had a good view of in between them.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be pretty shocked if your entire frag died from superglue. I can't give you a 100% certainty, but I superglue zoas all the time as part of my fragging and rarely if ever run into mortality issues in general, let alone ones I think I can attribute to the glue . The way I see it, you really have three choices- superglue the frag and keep a close eye on it, move that frag to a coral qt and monitor for additional aiptasia, or chuck the frag. If possible, I would go with the QT version to keep the nice zoas :)

This really sucks though- I'm sorry :/

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NT labs has a good product for getting rid of pest anemones, inject into mouth and within a few minutes it will be completely gone, bigger aiptasia may take 2 doses but from my experience it works really well, it comes with the little syringe attachment and so long you get it into the mouth of the anemone it won’t affect the zoa

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue on a similar zoa. I covered it with super glue. It came back. I covered it again and haven’t seen it since. It made the colony look goofy originally but within 2 months the glue spot was covered when everything is open. Still visible when they shut at night but no more aptasia.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @andrewey im going to try to super glue and move the plug to my other tank to monitor. If that doesn’t work, I am really close to a company that breeds Berghia nudis, salty underground. So if they do spread at least it will be in a small tank.
Thanks @Brandon.helvie. I can live with seeing super glue :)

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If super glue doesn’t work, try using lemon juice and inject at its mouth :)

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The juice in the plastic lemons works too, make sure not to use that much as it can change the ph fairly quick

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the info. Do you know if it has to be real lemon juice or does the “juice” in the plastic lemons work?
Both works. Just don't use a lot of juice or you can put the frag in a separate container to not worry if you used too much.

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that you can directly inject peroxide into the anemone but if it is in the main tank it isn’t a great idea

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the testing I've done, Bayer or peroxide dips do not kill aiptasia (at least at concentrations or timeframes that wouldn't harm the coral). However, I do remember reports of people killing aiptasia by injecting peroxide into their mouths- I don't remember how effective it was, only that some people reported sucsess with higher concentration peroxides.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back